The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #2,416 of 91,357
What software do you use to EQ your IEMs? I haven't found anything great for my DAPs. The only parametric EQ I"ve had luck with is Equalizer APO, but then I need to get my laptop invovled. I've tried Wavelet, but it didn't work well.
As I may have mentioned, I'm primarily a desktop user, and I find SoundSource on macOS to be really excellent at EQ. It's about US$40 or so, but totally worth it. You can EQ any app that produces sound on your mac with 0 restrictions.

I also like the fine control over each app's sound output destination and volume level. For eg, I'm on Zoom/Teams meetings at least 3 hours every day, and it is pretty great to be able to mix in 'background' music out through the BF2. Like if I need Jim Morrison to drown out some boring presentation.
but I think IOS might not allow systemwide EQ control to an App.
Doubt Apple will ever allow system-wide EQ outside of the very limited control provided for their own Music app. Their default assumption is that if you have iOS, you should be using their Music anyway, and discourage use of anyone else. If you want to EQ Apple Music on a portable device, use Android instead.

Aug 8, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #2,417 of 91,357
On the subject of IEMs to delve into intricate detail of music and really study it, this ambient/drone/field recording is a great example of where the likes of MEST MKII are worth their money imo - listening right now and absolutely stunning to behold the stage and individual components of the music.

That's a good track. And question :)

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:39 AM Post #2,418 of 91,357
Always got time for the classics:

Also, got to enjoy a nice sunset tonight.

233229004_10165769275775654_2971495778759940997_n.jpg

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #2,420 of 91,357
832107D2-7F58-4BDB-8022-91565EBCCD47.jpeg
saw this picture on CBC yesterday. So sad.. Be safe out there. Hope smoggy condition cleared up a little

Yup it rained last night and for a few hours this morning. I don't know if that made much of a difference for the big fires but it sure was a nice break. It's supposed to hit 35-40 up here this week.

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #2,421 of 91,357
I'm beating either one will be a nice step up, I don't think it need be outrageously expensive, reportedly the No.10 works well, though the two best cables I've found for both the Turii and Isabelle are the Eltech Iliad and Satin Zeus, both expand the soundstage and improves the tone and timbre on both.

I think the bass is a tad more hard-hitting with the Isabelle, perhaps tone/timbre is slightly better with the Turii, they are very close in performance.

I'm becoming even more cable curious! I love my Brise cable for IE900 but it has unfortunately developed a fault so I've to ship back to Japan for repair. I was planning another IEM spend later this month but now pondering maybe some cable experimentation instead. Interested to try Evo 10 on MEST and I'll take a closer look at the cables you've mentioned for Isa, even though way more than I ever imagined 'accessories' in this hobby might cost!

I do love how soft the Isa stock cable is, very nice.

Aug 9, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,422 of 91,357
Deliver to Claud -

I'm becoming even more cable curious! I love my Brise cable for IE900 but it has unfortunately developed a fault so I've to ship back to Japan for repair. I was planning another IEM spend later this month but now pondering maybe some cable experimentation instead. Interested to try Evo 10 on MEST and I'll take a closer look at the cables you've mentioned for Isa, even though way more than I ever imagined 'accessories' in this hobby might cost!

Breaking in my PW 1950s and my thieAudio Monarchs. Highly rated IEM and $$cable. Needed to get the cord into rotation for my better IEMs and maybe some sleepers like the Believe. My Geek Sold arrived over the weekend.
Rocky, nice selfie!! what cords have you tried on your Geek? Any other cable guys tried the mighty cheap Geek?

Material600d Oxford fabrics
BrandSisma
Co

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #2,423 of 91,357
"Music is vibration, and all life is vibration." ~ Leopold Stokowski

Aug 9, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #2,424 of 91,357
As I may have mentioned, I'm primarily a desktop user, and I find SoundSource on macOS to be really excellent at EQ. It's about US$40 or so, but totally worth it. You can EQ any app that produces sound on your mac with 0 restrictions.

I also like the fine control over each app's sound output destination and volume level. For eg, I'm on Zoom/Teams meetings at least 3 hours every day, and it is pretty great to be able to mix in 'background' music out through the BF2. Like if I need Jim Morrison to drown out some boring presentation.

Doubt Apple will ever allow system-wide EQ outside of the very limited control provided for their own Music app. Their default assumption is that if you have iOS, you should be using their Music anyway, and discourage use of anyone else. If you want to EQ Apple Music on a portable device, use Android instead.
It's good to know that there is a good MAC OS EQ solution. I would rather pay for a product because then it will be maintained. The free stuff is updated based on the whims of the developer.

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #2,425 of 91,357
Received the Aroma Audio Witch Girl W6.2 for demo from @tgx78

7A0116D7-3B24-45A3-A7E6-2432A282AE4E.JPEG

Will try and get some preliminary impressions up later.

Aug 9, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #2,426 of 91,357

7A0116D7-3B24-45A3-A7E6-2432A282AE4E.JPEG

Nice. I had this on (one of my) short list's.

Aug 9, 2021 at 3:42 PM Post #2,427 of 91,357

Please wait 150h at least to judge it and try a SPC cable, stock isn’t bad but too warm with M8☺️
i’m going for 160h and with bass track, electronic, hip hop, ambient, EDM are awesome.
I’m using a cheap SPC (IKKO CTU01) on it because I lent some cables to my friend…

EDIT: I forgot best tips on W6.2 are Epro Horn, open up sound😊

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #2,428 of 91,357
Rocky, nice selfie!! what cords have you tried on your Geek? Any other cable guys tried the mighty cheap Geek?

Go wide, shallow bore tips on the GK10 to cut back some midbass bloom. I use CP360 tips on it.

Use a copper silver mix cable. I went for this one...
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msvc4O3

No need to go crazy expensive. I noticed an improvement from stock with that, but I havent tried the 8core spc they are putting in with the new units, only the thinner cable.

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,429 of 91,357

I don't have the Geek yet-- I must have checked the wrong box at Amazon as it got shipped to my home address and I'm not going to be there for a couple weeks yet. I'm looking forward to trying it. I've got the Carbo Mezzo and Blon 03 sitting about equal-- will the GK surpass them? Only time & listening will tell.

Please wait 150h at least to judge...i’m going for 160

LMAO I'm not even sure I'm going to have them in my possession for 160 hours. My personal bias is that burn in is mostly brain burn in and that the more regimented experience one gets and the more one makes an effort to organize their thoughts on their experience then the time it takes to get a broad view of an IEM's salient qualities shrinks telescopically. YMMV etc.

In other news this is bliss:

Aug 9, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #2,430 of 91,357
I don't have the Geek yet-- I must have checked the wrong box at Amazon as it got shipped to my home address and I'm not going to be there for a couple weeks yet. I'm looking forward to trying it. I've got the Carbo Mezzo and Blon 03 sitting about equal-- will the GK surpass them? Only time & listening will tell.

I have a feeling the GK10 will remind you somewhat of the Dorado i.e. party in your head. The bass is indulgent. It has a great midrange + treble to back it up though and it's done very tastefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back