The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 7, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #24,136 of 88,517
Uhh.. maybe I'm missing something here, but all my purchases/downloads from iTunes, Bandcamp and HD-Tracks have album artwork and track data. They often come with the album booklet as well, which streaming doesn't give you. I get the exposure bit, which is why I mentioned it on my answer to the survey, but I think purchasing the record is that next level of support. Even on iTunes, I feel like I'm severely underpaying. The standard price in Indonesia is around 50 cents per song, which is absolutely ridiculous when you consider how much making this music actually costs: Tens of thousands of dollars (at least) in mics, instruments, pre-amps, mix consoles, outboard gear/plug-ins, software, etc. That's not even mentioning the value of the craft of arranging, songwriting, performing, mixing, mastering, etc.

It's been generally accepted that an artist barely makes money if not for touring and/or show bookings. It's why I personally prefer Bandcamp to purchase my music. It lets me pay however much I want to support the artist, so they can make more of the music that I want to listen to.
If you have to stream, Qobuz, then Tidal, and then the rest. But you should fee slightly bad about it.
I get it but the revenue sharing scheme has been going on well before streaming. Even in the era of CDs, the artist got a very small cut of the sale, and a lot of artists don’t even own rights to their own music, and that’s still a problem today.

That said there are so many artists that I wouldn’t have heard of, let alone buy their music or pay hundreds to see live without streaming their music. Why should I feel guilty about streaming when 3/4 of the concerts I’ve been to were from artists I discovered from streaming?

May 7, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #24,137 of 88,517
This is a massive TIL for me. I understand why and believe it but of all the things one thinks of when NYC comes to mind TOTL tap water isn’t near the top of the list for me. I always thought we had the best water over here on the west. I have been humbled.
I love the water here in the PacNW. Its pretty close tasting if I recall the last time I had NY water.
I’ll ask a buddy of mine visiting from Queens. He'll A/B it for us (from very recent memory at least, lol)
And California had the worst water I’ve ever experienced but I lived in Manhattan Beach and Laguna.
Yeah, California is hard and from underground in most cases. It needs filtration and even then is suspect. I always feel a small weight lifted when I return home from a trip to California, that I am back into good water territory.

Have you had Arizona water? It's my #1 terrible US water. It literally made me sick with fever, like a trip to Mexico would (sorry Mexico, but its true) I lack the super-powered antibodies your citizens possess apparently.

May 7, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #24,138 of 88,517
I’ll ask a buddy of mine visiting from Queens. He'll A/B it for us
In a surprise move that was somehow entirely expected, the NY guy says theirs is the best. Period.
lmao.

May 7, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #24,139 of 88,517
Lived in NY my whole life, and NYC for the last 6 years, before I moved to Miami last year.

Pizza in NYC is phenomenal - personal favorite is Soto Casa in Brooklyn / Harlem.

However, the pizza in Miami is somehow better. (Went to La Leggenda last week...good LORD.)

Bagels in NYC are unquestionably, the best I've had...the best place is aptly named...Best Bagel & Coffee (don't know about the coffee,) If you go to NYC and don't go to Best Bagel, you haven't really been to NYC. (I'm joking of course...but not really.)

Last meal I had before leaving NYC was Per Se...3 stars, 4 figure bill...it was no joke the worst meal I ever had...offensively bad - I sent back the lamb it was so undercooked. Daniel (just 2 stars) was better, but within 30 seconds of taking off my suit jacket, someone whipped around to tell me to put it back on...ridiculous.

May 7, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #24,140 of 88,517
Man, this thread moves so quickly that I'm stuck to huge multiquote posts and I miss things doing that on my phone
That was actually the second playsport. I enjoyed my first one for several years until it went "missing" at the gym when I left it at the bench to get weights. The shell has broken down each time though since it's made of plastic. The wires also fray quite easily. When I first poked my head into the hifi world, the concept of detachable cables started to make sense.

I hope she recovers quicky! My baby came down with something too a few days ago as well. I am hoping its just the common cold 🙏
My playsport died after at the 3.5 plug and one of the channels, and the option was to pretty much drop for a new one. That got me into this rabbithole one gigantic leap at a time :sweat_smile:

I just assume anything related to some sort of discomfort in my head is related to either my nose allergies. my body being out of whack or covid. My budget for Vitamin C and Zinc plus burning through the stash of TCM ingredients since the pandemic started has increased a bit. Hope they're better now, usually when the little ones get it, everyone is gonna get it.
Hard to say if its worth it though. I think as long as you have some appreciation for higher quality food and service, and the idea of spending a ridiculous amount of money on a single meal wont break the bank, then for special occasions.
I mean most of us call our purchases "special occasions" 🤣

But definitely when travel is back in the cards for me (as well as work), I'm definitely considering trying those. It's worth it to splurge every once in a while.
I have heard it said the best water in the US comes from NYC. In the states I have travelled to ( many, but not all) NYC water has always been better. In some states and cities it actually tastes terrible ( NJ for example ).

The water in NYC actually comes from where I live ( at least part of it). I am about 60 miles north of the city in the Hudson Valley and we have a number of the reservoirs for NYC. As a previous post said, it probably has to do with the minerals.
I wouldn't be surprised, you have a lot of foods that have to come from a certain geographical area for reasons like this
In other news, for laughs:

*Edit* It was not the Vega
Needs a correction. Dad on the right is also smiling, family replaced with other iems: Dorado and Isa in your case

On other things:

Something happened with the sim tray on my S20+ after the dip and a local shop just replaced the entire sim reader for me (($80 CAD). No water damage though which is good for when the term ends in August. Just holding out till then for the next deal.

With funds no longer tied up, finally assessed the options and made a minor purchase from Musicteck. Have the RU6 + case and the W2 case on the way, I'm planning a shift to my demo process with the W2 and RU6 being alternates to give iems I don't particularly enjoy a second chance with a different signature. Though if I ever rehear the ELysium, I might have to redo the entire review *nervous laugh*

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #24,141 of 88,517
However, the pizza in Miami is somehow better. (Went to La Leggenda last week...good LORD.)

Maybe that's one of those mob owned places that brings their water down from NYC.

Have you heard the Phonix? If so how does it compare to Erlky for you?

May 7, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #24,142 of 88,517
Needs a correction. Dad on the right is also smiling, family replaced with other iems: Vega and Isa in your case

Perhaps you mean the Dorado-- I actually haven't heard either generation of the Vega.

May 7, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #24,143 of 88,517
Perhaps you mean the Dorado-- I actually haven't heard either generation of the Vega.
Oh yes, that's what I mean, I just shoved a random CFA iem in there. To me, CFA only makes the Andro

May 7, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #24,144 of 88,517
I love the water here in the PacNW. Its pretty close tasting if I recall the last time I had NY water.
I’ll ask a buddy of mine visiting from Queens. He'll A/B it for us (from very recent memory at least, lol)

Yeah, California is hard and from underground in most cases. It needs filtration and even then is suspect. I always feel a small weight lifted when I return home from a trip to California, that I am back into good water territory.

Have you had Arizona water? It's my #1 terrible US water. It literally made me sick with fever, like a trip to Mexico would (sorry Mexico, but its true) I lack the super-powered antibodies your citizens possess apparently.
California? may be with the exception of desert hot spring, which placed 4th in the best-taste tap water contest for municiple water in USA.

May 7, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #24,145 of 88,517
California? may be with the exception of desert hot spring, which placed 4th in the best-taste tap water contest for municiple water in USA.
Of course. "...in most cases". California is big and varied. They got good water in certain locations.

I like how we are still talking water quality at the Watercooler, perfectly appropriate.

May 7, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #24,146 of 88,517
Nice place to live. Only the see is missing.

7EA36AE8-56F8-4DFC-874A-8B3345CE9741.jpeg

Last edited:
May 7, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #24,147 of 88,517
That's an interesting question: what is the best IEM you've ever heard vs. if you could pick only one IEM what would it be?
Should be an easy question. But if I consider use case, I'm not sure I'd pick the Z1R as one-and-done. If you ask me which I'd pick as my one and only TOTL, nothing has come close to challenging the Z1R, especially now that I have the two Signature Series sources to go with it. But like you, the Z1R (and sources) will never leave the house without an armed entourage, so if I had to pick an IEM I'd use most often, probably XM4. It's the first TWS that's made me feel wireless SQ has come of age, and in terms of portability, flexibility, ease of use, features and convenience, it's easily my most used IEM. It also doesn't rely on any fancy sources, and it magically mutes other humans in the room better than anything else I've tried before.

May 7, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #24,149 of 88,517
Oh yes, that's what I mean, I just shoved a random CFA iem in there. To me, CFA only makes the Andro

This comment triggered me a little and for a second I thought I'd woken up in some Reddit or Discord induced hell.

Should be an easy question. But if I consider use case, I'm not sure I'd pick the Z1R as one-and-done. If you ask me which I'd pick as my one and only TOTL, nothing has come close to challenging the Z1R, especially now that I have the two Signature Series sources to go with it. But like you, the Z1R (and sources) will never leave the house without an armed entourage, so if I had to pick an IEM I'd use most often, probably XM4. It's the first TWS that's made me feel wireless SQ has come of age, and in terms of portability, flexibility, ease of use, features and convenience, it's easily my most used IEM. It also doesn't rely on any fancy sources, and it magically mutes other humans in the room better than anything else I've tried before.

I think I'd have to bring use case into it given how much of my listening is done out and about. On that note I'd probably pick something like the Dorado 2020-- it's small, indestructible, easily drivable, well isolating and has a nice bass emphasis that works wonders to drown out ambient noise.

May 7, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #24,150 of 88,517
This comment triggered me a little and for a second I thought I'd woken up in some Reddit or Discord induced hell.
Imagine waking up to find out that HF is now Reddit or Discord only 🤣
🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back