The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 6, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #23,986 of 88,242
I've only in the last few months started doing this, but my strategy to avoid blowing through all of my savings on downloads is to purchase 2-3 albums a month. As long as Bandcamp Fridays are a thing, that sets a marker for me to do this. I plan to follow a pattern of:
- One stone-cold classic that I always return to, that I don't already have on CD. Last month it was Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space , today it's likely to be Kid A Mnesiac
-
One Album I've discovered in the last 18 months or so that is destined to one day be a Classic. I think today that will be Saint Etienne's I've Been Trying To Tell You
-One Album or EP or whatever from a more obscure/up and coming artist whose art I think is great, and that I'd like to support directly. Today that might be Annie Hamilton

For me Tidal wins absolutely every day with great new stuff. I probably never used Spotify enough for its algorithms to learn my preferences, but I can't imagine it could do better. I think I joked before that Tidal knows me better than I know myself,
I think this is a sound method. I was sticking to Bandcamp Friday's only for purchases for a while but have since been picking up 1 - 2 albums/week if there's something that catches my ear or it's a new release from an artist I like and follow.

I've been a solely a Spotify user for a few years now and only signed up for Tidal because of the chatter here and the $6 multi-month trial. I had figured there's no way the Tidal recommendations would hold a candle to Spotify but I dare say they're proving me wrong. Some of the artists I've discovered via Tidal suggestions have been fantastic. I may just keep the subscription once the trial period is up. I won't be able to let go of Spotify as we have a family plan and my wife, brother, and other family members all use it, but I think Tidal is becoming my preferred streaming service.
Yes. Next, jk.
It wallops the competition in dynamism and PRaT. Sweetness, not a chance. I also really like its imaging and sound stage.

Yeah, probably not then. I'd pass on it if those were my needs. Based on tuning only. It has the technical chops.
It dominates my taste for pop, electronic, (oddly) Funk, orchestral, R&B, choir, ambient. Basically anything not Jazz, Rock, and Metal. The organics. Those I generally prefer on the single DD's.

Fourte can do it on very well recorded stuff that doesn't break itself on that 7k spike. It's another hear before you buy, maybe even hear for a couple weeks if you can. Took me a while to open up to Noir, but then it straight slaughtered the competition I've been able to throw at it (for the things it does well) I don't need or want it to be a generalist.
Thanks. Certainly doesn't sound like blind buy territory by any stretch. I'm intrigued by the staging and detail retrieval that seem to be the hallmarks of the Fourte but I don't know that I can buy it on those merits alone.

I really wish it wasn't so hard to do extended, at-home auditions. We need a company akin to BorrowLenses for audio gear. I'd gladly pay a daily / weekly fee to bring home a slew of IEMs, new and not so new, and listen with my gear on my time.
Something crystallized in my mind today as a result of numerous things that have come up in discussion at various times over the last while. I think I've finally come to realize that I don't really care about the scientific or analytic side of this hobby all that much. I appreciate that measurements are interesting and important and don't deny the appeal and fascination of breaking down all the distinct factors of an IEM's performance like bass, treble, soundstage, technicalities, dynamics etc. and analyzing them in turn. This tendency to break everything down into component parts and analyze accordingly characterizes what I would call an intellectual approach to this hobby. I've dabbled in all that myself, obviously, and have enjoyed reading the impressions of others who have done the same...but I think it's finally dawned on me that none of those things have ever really decisively contributed to my personal overall enjoyment of this hobby for the simple reason that my approach is and always has been fundamentally emotional. While I've always enjoyed and will continue to enjoy reading different descriptions and impressions from others expressed in these terms for myself it's always been a simple matter of do I enjoy this or not, does this engage and move me emotionally or not? My interest has always been in the gestalt, or entirety of an IEM's performance-- not any particular element of it, or combination of factors. Sure there are some meaningful correlations and things I have learned, such as that I trend to prefer IEMs that are skewed musical and that I happen to be the most finicky about the midrange of all the bands of then FR...but at the end of the day I've struggled to reduce my preferences to any sort of fundamental rule or specific collection of factors. For this reason I'm doing my best to avoid any sorts of limiting pre-conceptions when trying something for the first time. I'm less interested in how something measures or what individual characteristics it resolves into than the inspiration or, if you'll forgive the phrasing, the spirit and intent behind it. A well tuned IEM is like a beautiful composition or work of inspiration on the part of an artist-- and if done sincerely and well this will shine through in its presentation and affect the consciousness of an intent listener even if you can't deduce it from any constituent parts of the presentation. This is why I think I'm drawn to IEMs that are the result of creative visionaries behind companies like VE, Oriolus, CFA's best work and Fir's new stuff. Just an evening ramble, and as with all things YMMV.
A lot of this resonates with me. While there is certainly overlap, I think we're all different in our approach to this hobby and the gear that consumes it. I don't have the ear to immediately pick out a 8k spike, or a 3 - 4k recession that may impact vocals, or a plasticky timbre on a BA monitor. But I do like to "fact find" prior to narrowing down my search for the next piece of kit and that generally includes asking, and receiving, detailed insight on the various attributes of a monitor. I think for many it's easier to break down the various parts of the FR, the "technicities," soundstage, etc. when trying to describe how they hear an IEM to another individual whom hasn't heard it. This can be hugely helpful once you begin to understand your personal preferences and what jives with your music and wants in an IEM and what doesn't. But it's by no means an end all be all in how many of us, myself included, make our purchase decisions.

If an IEM doesn't sweep me off my feet when I play through tracks and artists that I have a deep, emotional connection to, I could care less how well regarded it is by the masses and reviewers of the Head-Fi world. Heck, I can be swept off my feet by music I love when listening to my AirPods Pro. But it is nice to get an understanding if a piece of gear may provide that sensation before taking a shot by (usually) blind buying it. After all, most of us are wanting to bring the best out of our music and further deepen our connection to it. IMO, that's what Head-Fi is all about.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #23,987 of 88,242
Yesterday I posted a couple pictures of a fawn that nature left on our doorstep. All day I was imagining going to Tractor Supply for enriched milk and having to raise a baby. We would have to name her and I was thinking “Dear” would be a great name,
synonym for cute.

I had traveled to my old shop yesterday to finish up a project, the new house was people free.
All three of us were at the old house.
When I returned the fawn was gone.
Mother must have come back,
no signs of any foul play.

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #23,988 of 88,242
Also I learned that some of the popular vendors give solid discounts for sharing reviews. Anything I've shared...including the above...has been bought full MSRP by yours truly.

Same-- though I can usually get a decent loyalty discount from places like Musicteck or Headphone Bar because I've bought so much stuff from them. I never do anything that requires me to write a review as I never know ahead of time if I'll have the time or inclination to do it once I have the thing in question.

Sorry guys & gals, I’ll get caught up eventually. I thought about creating a multi-quote post a la @Rockwell75 but that would be one epic mega post. Instead I’ll just say that I hope everyone is well and I’m sure you’re still keeping it 💯. Shout out to all the regulars, you know who you are and to all the newbies who’ve found the oasis that is the Watercooler! Hopefully I can get caught up and see you in the present. In the meantime, hello from the past, which given the speed this thread moves, is anything more than a week.

Cheers man thanks for checking in-- I've been wondering what you've been up to :D

i currently own Z1R, Mest2, Solaris OG, ie900 and O800. Just looking for a solid upgrade rather than a side-grade. I basically listen to every music genre out there that's well done. So a good all-arounder IEM with a bit of tamed highs would be preferred. I do find the trebles on Mest mk2 a bit too aggressive with certain instruments.

I've owned the first 3 and tried the IE900. My rec would be for the EXT-- but be mindful of the fit.

Me. The breadth and depth of sound and music, this whole intellectual pursuit is the reason why I find this hobby intriguing. Why else am I here?

For me it's 100% about the community. So many threads are picky about staying on topic avoiding idle chatter-- I created this thread because I wanted a place where people would be free to banter and just hang out...because that's one thing that had been missing from all the communities I'd previously been a part of.

I forgot to mention yesterday how I enjoy listening to Internet radio channels on my kitchen unit - "Chill Out Lounge" is fantastic, and I've discovered a huge amount of tracks/artists/albums as a result and thanks to Shazam - I don't know how many times I've scrambled to grab my phone to quickly ID a track before it ends! - just had this scenario while making my kids school lunch, and thoroughly enjoying the following track - I vaguely recognised it, and Shazam immediately delivered... excellent deep house from 1999 and on a label I bought quite a few records on back then.

A real summer vibe as the name suggests, I can really imagine chilling on a beach listening to this.

WOW...that brought me back. Thanks for sharing.

Biggest gripe is that they don't isloate sound very well.

The lack of isolation (or openness) is I think precisely why you get that massive bass that doesn't totally crowd out the mids.

A lot of this resonates with me. While there is certainly overlap, I think we're all different in our approach to this hobby and the gear that consumes it.

100%. I don't or didn't mean to imply that my way is the right or only way-- it's simply that I've finally come to a clear realization of a few things relative to what is important to me. Emotional connection with gear and community connection with like minded enthusiasts are what this hobby is all about for me. I've always clung to and defended the idea that everyone has the right to pursue this hobby in whatever way is meaningful to them-- there are many ways to skin a cat, as it were.

But I do like to "fact find" prior to narrowing down my search for the next piece of kit and that generally includes asking, and receiving, detailed insight on the various attributes of a monitor. I think for many it's easier to break down the various parts of the FR, the "technicities," soundstage, etc. when trying to describe how they hear an IEM to another individual whom hasn't heard it.

Same here but for me lately "fact finding" has come down to finding out whether certain people I relate to like it (or don't). I've found, for me, nothing I hear about any single element of an IEM, no matter what it is, will be a sufficiently reliable indicator of whether (or not) I will enjoy the presentation on the whole.

If an IEM doesn't sweep me off my feet when I play through tracks and artists that I have a deep, emotional connection to, I could care less how well regarded it is by the masses and reviewers of the Head-Fi world.

Yup this was one of the most important lessons I learned early on, namely that I prefer things like tone & timbre over raw technicalities. The latter is what seems to attract the most attention but for me I've found that raw technical performance has never directly correlated with a more enjoyable listening experience for me. YMMV, and all that.

Yesterday I posted a couple pictures of a fawn that nature left on our doorstep. All day I was imagining going to Tractor Supply for enriched milk and having to raise a baby. We would have to name her and I was thinking “Dear” would be a great name,
synonym for cute.

I had traveled to my old shop yesterday to finish up a project, the new house was people free.
All three of us were at the old house.
When I returned the fawn was gone.
Mother must have come back,
no signs of any foul play.

Awesome...really happy to hear the fawn is ok. Mom must have known your property was a safe space.

In other news 1600!

For craps and giggles I made this chart (for those into stats). It's a graph of the number of days that have passed between each multiple of 100 of the page count of this thread. So starting with April 24, 2022 moving from left to right is a count of the number of days this thread has been active with a marker placed every time we hit a multiple of 100 pages.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 7.55.43 AM.png

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #23,989 of 88,242
Very sad today. One of my cats was hit by a car and killed.

Here she is in happier times, and proving that you dare not leave any valuable equipment unattended. 🥲

69C54EEF-1A0A-45B2-A29D-F2DDDFBE2238.jpeg

May 6, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #23,990 of 88,242

Here she is in happier times, and proving that you dare not leave any valuable equipment unattended. 🥲

Really sorry to hear that man...it felt weird "liking" that post. Very sorry for your loss.

May 6, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #23,991 of 88,242

Oh no, I am so sorry for your loss.

May 6, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #23,992 of 88,242
For me it's 100% about the community. So many threads are picky about staying on topic avoiding idle chatter-- I created this thread because I wanted a place where people would be free to banter and just hang out...because that's one thing that had been missing from all the communities I'd previously been a part of.
i didn’t mean this thread 'here', I meant this place, the internet… in general. The community in the Cooler is well… cool too. Remind me of this place way back in old days called Geocities where there were different threads/rooms, there was this particular place called the Hot Tub, good fun, kinda like here, except a lot more sleazy haha!

In other news 1600!

For craps and giggles I made this chart (for those into stats). It's a graph of the number of days that have passed between each multiple of 100 of the page count of this thread. So starting with April 24, 2022 moving from left to right is a count of the number of days this thread has been active with a marker placed every time we hit a multiple of 100 pages.

Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 7.55.43 AM.png
From me old math major to you math teacher, it’s no wonder that I've been drawn by your skew towards numbers and stats. Happy to soak it all up! 😉

May 6, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #23,993 of 88,242

So sorry mate. Glad you have gorgeous photos where she will forever be happy. 😞

May 6, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #23,995 of 88,242

So very sorry for your loss.

May 6, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #23,996 of 88,242

The word banter triggered a memory of a fun song from 1981 that some of the Cooler’s younger music connoisseurs may have not yet heard.

From King Crimson’s album Discipline
track Elephant Talk.

Found this interesting quote from Adrian Belew related to fitting into the band.

"Then I realized, 'Hey, I'm not playing my guitar. I'm just basically sounding like Robert. Where's my voice in this?' So I picked up my Stratocaster, restrung it, and everything changed...When I started making my sounds and doing my thing, everybody kept saying, 'Yeah, Adrian, you're finally into the band.' I only came into my own in the fourth week, just before the live concerts started."”

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #23,997 of 88,242

Sorry for your loss.
One of our cats passed a couple weeks ago. I had posted a picture of him just a week or so before. He was old and had a heart murmur and one day just stopped. There is a missing presence in the house, one interesting development is our other cat Rosie has now become more friendly and actually sits by my side at night which is what Chipper used to do.

Chipper R.I.P.

8C81D871-074F-458A-8CDD-FBA112F1182A.jpeg

Rosie, Early Cat Gets The Bird

F26B3992-44F6-404C-A339-F9621E8A385F.jpeg

Last edited:
May 6, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #23,998 of 88,242

So sorry to hear this. Thoughts are with you and yours. May she be at peace in kitty heaven.

May 6, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #23,999 of 88,242
Re Rockwell's survey, I'm sure I'm going to get flamed but I've been thinking about this for awhile..... Sometimes it blows my mind how much guys spend on this thread for hardware (yes, I'm jealous I can't get the latest all the time) and use streaming for software. I'm sure there are some quality sites and content but I'd be willing to bet if that same content was off a CD or downloaded from HD Tracks, etc. it would sound better.
I'm fortunate to have collected a huge library of CD quality albums and HiRes downloads. Maybe it's that I'm an old fart but quality of the music files trumps convenience every time. So for me it's 1TB cards in all my DAPs.

Well with streaming you have the option to download music for offline use, and generally with streaming, it essentially downloads a song with the full data while you listen. Is there really a difference in data downloaded via stream vs downloaded straight to the SD card from a website? Probably not especially now that most streaming platforms offer lossless and gapless playback as an option

But without streaming, you lose all the album artwork, track data and music discovery that streaming has in spades, and you’re spending significantly more money on music. Streaming is an incredibly powerful platform for music that allowed me to discover tons of indie artists that may not have big record deals and visibility that major artists have.

May 6, 2022 at 12:36 PM Post #24,000 of 88,242
sorry

Sorry to hear your loss. I have two old cats, and I never allow them to venture to the front yard when they played in my backyard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back