The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 6, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #2,281 of 91,358
The Blon 03 is a very compelling IEM indeed.

AC9D7215-DFC6-40A7-8B53-EE075BFAA1FB.JPEG

Edit: Arrrrgh...what I wouldn't give to be in Hong Kong today.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #2,282 of 91,358
I'm sure I'll wind up purchasing an Andromeda at some point just to hear it through the n3PRo.
As a fan of tube amps for my headphones, I've likewise thought about getting an n3Pro to go with my Andros. IEMs that are nimble and have a lighter tonal weight to them, like the Andro, might benefit from a bit more richness, perhaps. I could see it being either too much of a good thing or a sublime pairing. And the color coordination would be awesome (as you've mentioned above).

I've held back from getting the n3Pro for a few reasons - concern about hiss and potential problems with noise floor, given the Andro's sensitivity, as well as resolution and battery life. These concerns are imagined ones, I should hasten to add, not ones I've seen reported in the real world. Is the Reborn especially sensitive? How's the battery life? And how is the resolution? (I realize that, for the price, it's likely to be a step down from your M8, but finding the right synergy would go a long way to offsetting some degree of loss in resolution). Sorry for all the questions!

Aug 6, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #2,283 of 91,358
As a fan of tube amps for my headphones, I've likewise thought about getting an n3Pro to go with my Andros. IEMs that are nimble and have a lighter tonal weight to them, like the Andro, might benefit from a bit more richness, perhaps. I could see it being either too much of a good thing or a sublime pairing. And the color coordination would be awesome (as you've mentioned above).

I've always assumed it would be great pairing with Andro for 2 reasons-- firstly yourself and others from "that other place" have often sung the praises of the synergy Andromeda has with the Sony ZX2, a player notable for its tubelike tonality-- a quality that wasn't imho quite captured with the ZX300 or either the 1A or 1Z. Secondly I know that Cayin tunes its DAPs with CFA IEMs in mind and imho the fact that they included an "Andro green" case with the thing might be something of a hint lol

I've held back from getting the n3Pro for a few reasons - concern about hiss and potential problems with noise floor, given the Andro's sensitivity, as well as resolution and battery life.

Can't comment on battery life conclusively yet but it seems like your standard ~12-14 hours of playback off a charge through the tube out. it was at 80% yesterday when I took it out of the box and it's at 17% now...and I've put a few hours on it. Can't comment on balanced...tube linear mode is so good I don't even want to try anything else at the moment.

Is the Reborn especially sensitive?

I don't think so but nothing whatsoever hisses through the M8 in my experience. Not a whiff of hiss with the Reborn, Dorado 2020 or BLON 03. I'll be getting the Holocene today (hopefully) and can chime in on that one as well.

And how is the resolution? (I realize that, for the price, it's likely to be a step down from your M8, but finding the right synergy would go a long way to offsetting some degree of loss in resolution). Sorry for all the questions!

There is a sacrifice in resolution, weight & overall dynamics (but strangely there is no less body to the sound if that makes sense) through the N3Pro coming from the M8-- I'm not sure how much this has to do with tube output generally or the mad skills of the M8. In my experience a sacrifice in raw resolution is generally a given with a more dynamic timbre due to its thicker and more enveloping nature and that is certainly the case a little with the n3Pro-- whether this acceptable is probably up to the individual and the extent to which they lean more towards timbre or technicalities in terms of preferences.

There is also a drop in overall weight & dynamic punch to the sound through the n3Pro on tube output coming from the M8. I know this is at least in part because this is something the M8, which is advertised as delivering a signature akin to carved jade, specializes in. Whether this will work for someone will probably depend on the individual and the IEM in question. For me synergy with the n3Pro might just push the Reborn into my top 3-- perhaps topping Isa. On the other hand with the Dorado 2020 the n3Pro takes away some of the dynamic weight to the low and and smooths out some of the spice up top-- which didn't work for me as I love the weight & spice of the Dorado 2020 as is. YMMV etc.

Aug 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #2,284 of 91,358
Thank you very much, these are very helpful answers and I greatly appreciate them; it's hard to get a sense of what different pairings of IEMs with the N3Pro are like from that DAP's thread here on head-fi as the vast majority of posts are troubleshooting ones (it's awesome how responsive the Cayin rep is in that and other threads). It's invaluable, then, to have a pair of trusted ears describe the N3Pro's sound!

the synergy Andromeda has with the Sony ZX2, a player notable for its tubelike tonality
Yes, it really is a great pairing. Arguably, one of the best things about it is that it improves the Andro's macrodynamics, which can be too soft and sleepy with some sources. This may be an issue with the N3Pro, given your description.

Cayin tunes its DAPs with CFA IEMs in mind and imho the fact that they included an "Andro green" case with the thing might be something of a hint lol
That's great to hear - and I love the hint hiding in plain sight!

Can't comment on battery life conclusively yet but it seems like your standard ~12-14 hours of playback off a charge
That's also good to hear - it does seem that most DAPs have now reached the minimum threshold of 12 hours. I'd wondered if the tubes would have been an issue, but then I'm as far from being an electrical engineer as someone can be, for shame. I'm also glad to hear that there's no hiss.

This is all very promising. I may wait till CanJam to see if I can audition it. If not, it's not such a big ticket item that I can't risk a blind purchase and resell later (essentially renting it, then). Still, the problem here, as always, is the danger of being distracted from saving up for other upgrades, including the M8... the path of the righteous, upgrading man is beset on all sides by the temptations of other shiny toys...

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,285 of 91,358
Yes, even my DX 220 has a tube module called the #9. It only has a 3.5 output too. Must be why I have never used it.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #2,286 of 91,358

I was incredibly close to purchasing the N3 Pro before I went for the M8. The tube stage is a lovely little ornamentation to things. As you know I've got the C9 which has a Korg 'NuTube' implementation. It's nice but it's no match for a tranditional vacuum tube.

Glad you're having fun with the BLON.

P.S. nice avatar

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,287 of 91,358
I keep meaning to buy the BLON but reluctant as it's so cheap 😁

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #2,288 of 91,358

Lol, there might be some redundancy having it in your collection, but its a great performer at the price.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #2,289 of 91,358
Andro... can be too soft and sleepy with some sources. This may be an issue with the N3Pro, given your description.

Interesting. My experience with Andro & sources is somewhat limited-- I've heard the PAW S1, n6ii & various boards and the M8. Paw S1 was probably my favorite source or Andro-- it was so clean and balanced. All the above listed sources were good with Andro to my ears-- I didn't find any of the me made it "soft and sleepy" and in fact I struggle a little to imagine Andromeda that way haha

This is all very promising. I may wait till CanJam to see if I can audition it. If not, it's not such a big ticket item that I can't risk a blind purchase and resell later (essentially renting it, then). Still, the problem here, as always, is the danger of being distracted from saving up for other upgrades, including the M8...

Yeah it's pretty reasonably priced-- and is even on sale right now actually at Musicteck. On the whole if it came down to the n3Pro or the M8 I'd take the M8 easily because it covers more bases in my collection...but my n3Pro is a force of nature with the Oriolus Reborn and isn't going anywhere any time soon.

the path of the righteous, upgrading man is beset on all sides by the temptations of other shiny toys...

Blessed are those who, in the name of charity and good will
Share their impressions of gear with others and shepherd them through the valley of not beihg able to demo gear for themselves
For he is truly his brother's keeper and the helper of beguiled audiophiles

Yes, even my DX 220 has a tube module called the #9. It only has a 3.5 output too. Must be why I have never used it.

Would be curious to hear your thoughts if you do.

I was incredibly close to purchasing the N3 Pro before I went for the M8. The tube stage is a lovely little ornamentation to things. As you know I've got the C9 which has a Korg 'NuTube' implementation. It's nice but it's no match for a tranditional vacuum tube.

To be fair I vacuum tubes are overkill for IEMs.

Glad you're having fun with the BLON.
P.S. nice avatar

The best.

I love Bruce's thoughts on self expression. A similar philosophy underlies much of my approach to this hobby.

Lol, there might be some redundancy having it in your collection, but its a great performer at the price.

Blon is an incredible performer for the price. I haven't a/b'd it directly with Carbo Mezzo yet but Blon 03 going from memory has a fuller richer sound. There's definitely a strong bass emphasis. Sometimes the upper mids and treble feel a touch...brittle or glassy or something it's weird. Blon 03 doesn't better my favorite IEMs in any ways but it's consistently about 75% the way there and doesn't do any glaringly wrong. A no-brainer rec for the price.

Edit: In other news due to a mix up I won't have my Holocene for about another week. In some respects it's a blessing as if I'd received it at the same time as I'd received the N3Pro I may have missed out on the latter's awesome synergy with the Oriolus Reborn.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #2,290 of 91,358
It is tempting, and I could have it by Tuesday.

On the other end of the single DD scale, anyone tried the A8000? - rather curious about that.

Screenshot_20210806-235428_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #2,291 of 91,358

AC9D7215-DFC6-40A7-8B53-EE075BFAA1FB.JPEG

How are you going with the fit of the BL03? I struggled with every tip I've got, they seemed to be much too shallow to get a decent seal unless I used foams, which then damped down the treble a bit too much.

No great loss for the price, gave them to my daughter anyway as her ears are much smaller than mine.

Aug 6, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #2,292 of 91,358
Hmm, interesting conversation around tubes and the Andromeda. I won't be getting an N3Pro or any other DAP for a while, but I'm thinking of getting a Vali2+ to try out some tubey-ness with the desktop rig.

Which is another question I've got, how many folks around here primarily use desktop gear for their IEMs? I'm pretty much stuck at my desk all day now and for the foreseeable, so I haven't got much reason to spend extra on portable gear. Besides which the heft of BF2/A3 is giving me all the richness and drive I could want for the IEMs I've got so far, and probably any other I might get. I had been a little concerned the A3 might be a bit much for the Andromeda, but on low-gain it's quiet, never need to go past 9 o'clock.

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #2,293 of 91,358
How are you going with the fit of the BL03? I struggled with every tip I've got, they seemed to be much too shallow to get a decent seal unless I used foams, which then damped down the treble a bit too much.

No great loss for the price, gave them to my daughter anyway as her ears are much smaller than mine.
Yea, BL03 got lost in my ears. If I held them in place they were decent. If you don't have much money to spend and you have baby ears, 100% try them out.

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:12 PM Post #2,294 of 91,358
how many folks around here primarily use desktop gear for their IEMs?
I've just started down the path of desktop gear because it's too hot here in the height of summer for over-ear headphones (or the AC unit is too loud for open back headphones). My desktop setup is the BF2 --> THX 789 --> Andro 2020. I'm not a fan of the THX 789 amp for headphones - it's too sterile and unengaging for me - but it does a great job with the Andro, and quite a few folks think it works unusually well with BA IEMs and hybrids like the Solaris. I suppose the warmth of the Bifrost 2 offsets the more neutral sound of this amp.

I've only tried one pair of DD IEMs with the THX 789, the IE 900 (on a loaner tour). The pairing sounded decent enough, at least compared to my Sony ZX2, which isn't great for IEMs that benefit from a decent amount of power. That said, I didn't get a proper sense of the IE 900's sound to comment about how the amp and DAC affected it.

Other than the THX amp, I preferred the Magni 3 over the IEMagni, even though the latter has more travel on the volume pot. I've also seen people use the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R for IEMs.

I'm thinking of getting a Vali2+
It seems to be getting highly favorable reviews. I wonder what the noise floor would be like - you might need one of those iFi IEMatch dongle thingies for the Andro. (Separately, my understanding is that tube hybrids may pair better with the LCD2-C than pure tube amps, so the Vali 2+ might work well).

"soft and sleepy"... I struggle a little to imagine Andromeda that way haha
I had that experience with the AK Jr.. I'd be interested in hearing how the Andro pairs with other AK DAPs - @Neweymatt, I see you have the SR25. Is it a good go well with your Andro?

Paw S1 was probably my favorite source or Andro
It really is something special. I'm still grateful to you for introducing me to this great pairing.

Brilliant!

Aug 6, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #2,295 of 91,358
Interesting. My experience with Andro & sources is somewhat limited-- I've heard the PAW S1, n6ii & various boards and the M8. Paw S1 was probably my favorite source or Andro-- it was so clean and balanced. All the above listed sources were good with Andro to my ears-- I didn't find any of the me made it "soft and sleepy" and in fact I struggle a little to imagine Andromeda that way haha

Yeah it's pretty reasonably priced-- and is even on sale right now actually at Musicteck. On the whole if it came down to the n3Pro or the M8 I'd take the M8 easily because it covers more bases in my collection...but my n3Pro is a force of nature with the Oriolus Reborn and isn't going anywhere any time soon.

Blessed are those who, in the name of charity and good will
Share their impressions of gear with others and shepherd them through the valley of not beihg able to demo gear for themselves

Would be curious to hear your thoughts if you do.

To be fair I vacuum tubes are overkill for IEMs.

The best.

I love Bruce's thoughts on self expression. A similar philosophy underlies much of my approach to this hobby.

Blon is an incredible performer for the price. I haven't a/b'd it directly with Carbo Mezzo yet but Blon 03 going from memory has a fuller richer sound. There's definitely a strong bass emphasis. Sometimes the upper mids and treble feel a touch...brittle or glassy or something it's weird. Blon 03 doesn't better my favorite IEMs in any ways but it's consistently about 75% the way there and doesn't do any glaringly wrong. A no-brainer rec for the price.

Edit: In other news due to a mix up I won't have my Holocene for about another week. In some respects it's a blessing as if I'd received it at the same time as I'd received the N3Pro I may have missed out on the latter's awesome synergy with the Oriolus Reborn.

Hope the Holocene turns up soon. Awaiting your thoughts and impressions as always.

Re: Andromeda(s)

Four versions make for contrasting views and opinions:
(not counting Andro Gold/more bass, Andro S/more
Mids, Andro white /more treble?, Andro MW10/more even, linear).

I outlined the first three versions sound signatures here:
https://www.headpie.net/2019/05/campfire-audio-andromeda-v3-review.html?m=1

Quick shell notes:

839C099A-CDF5-4C4B-B6EE-28E5E4753B12.jpeg
<<Andromeda V3(aka Andro 2019).

Sound
‘….
Basically.....To my ears they (v1/v2 and v3) have the same signature. The new Andromeda (v3/2019) though seems to have more mids, even, coherent full bodied sound.
Very close though.

Andromeda V4 (aka Andromeda 2020).
- More mids, more fuller body, smoother forgiving signature that leans towards a w, smoother treble.

Out of the Greenie Andros my personal sweet spot is the 2019.

Yes, and certainly source dependent. Also output impedence at <1, 1 or 2 ohms oi can be quite different.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back