The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Aug 5, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #2,266 of 91,358
Is that one-way or both? :)
It was over $15 to ship it one way the 475km from me to @Rockwell75 in the interior.. That said, it looks like the price of the Blon03 has gone up. I think I paid under $30 back during a Christmas sale.

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #2,267 of 91,358
An LX MKii and an Ely Mkii...two IEMs I've been fantasizing about for months updated in just the ways I've been hoping they'd be updated...released on the same weekend. damn

In other news I've spent most of the day totally enraptured by the N3Pro & Oriolus Reborn through the former's tube output. I don't have a lot of experience with tube amps but if f the N3Pro is anything to go by it seems that tube power is an antidote for BA timbre. My only two complaints about the Reborn were BA timbre in the mids & highs and strident upper mids-- N3Pro fixes all of this. To my ears it adds a layer of dynamic richness & weight to the mids & highs of the Reborn which, in addition to being wonderful in its own right also blends in beautifully with the dynamic bass to comprise a beautifully rich & coherent sound across the board.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #2,268 of 91,358
@Rockwell75 Well then this is your next DAP

AK SP2000T

1D1EE011-A1BF-44ED-AE68-04CDEACA0464.jpeg

Aug 6, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #2,269 of 91,358
Aug 6, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #2,271 of 91,358
If you enjoy the Cayin N3, I think you will love the Cayin n8

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #2,272 of 91,358
Maybe I should get a reborn as well, once the expenses are under control or when the Solaris sells

Aug 6, 2021 at 3:45 AM Post #2,273 of 91,358
As reference I first had the Cayin n8 black Brass edition and even though it sounded great I sold it because at the time I thought it was too expensive for me. I purchased the Shanling M8 and I liked the sound but I thought it wasn't a step up from Cayin n8 and I sold it, I purchased the Fiio m15 next and I was a bit disappointed and I realized the best thing for me is to buy again the Cayin n8 which I did, the only difference is that I now have the stainless steel edition. To my ears the Cayin n8 has everything in one device, great tube sound plus great solid state sound. The only thing that I am not so fond of is the UI that is the same as in your N3

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #2,275 of 91,358
I'm hoping for an updated N8 with streaming capabilities. If Cayin release this im done. Out of the hobby
If you need streaming Cayin N8 is not the one you need in your life, but if you don't care about streaming Cayin N8 is still a great device. I am curious myself about the next Cayin flagship

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #2,276 of 91,358
If you need streaming Cayin N8 is not the one you need in your life, but if you don't care about streaming Cayin N8 is still a great device. I am curious myself about the next Cayin flagship
Me too. I have the N611 with the R01 and this is combo is sublime. I did consider buying a used N3 just to give the tubes a try but im thinking this might be a step down in overall SQ?

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #2,277 of 91,358
An LX MKii and an Ely Mkii...two IEMs I've been fantasizing about for months updated in just the ways I've been hoping they'd be updated...released on the same weekend. damn

In other news I've spent most of the day totally enraptured by the N3Pro & Oriolus Reborn through the former's tube output. I don't have a lot of experience with tube amps but if f the N3Pro is anything to go by it seems that tube power is an antidote for BA timbre. My only two complaints about the Reborn were BA timbre in the mids & highs and strident upper mids-- N3Pro fixes all of this. To my ears it adds a layer of dynamic richness & weight to the mids & highs of the Reborn which, in addition to being wonderful in its own right also blends in beautifully with the dynamic bass to comprise a beautifully rich & coherent sound across the board.
I see you are using a 3.5mm adapter, so is supossed that 4.4mm balanced output can't get tube sound.

Aug 6, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #2,278 of 91,358
Aug 6, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #2,279 of 91,358
Me too. I have the N611 with the R01 and this is combo is sublime. I did consider buying a used N3 just to give the tubes a try but im thinking this might be a step down in overall SQ?
I don't have the R1 yet but I have the N6 with A01 and T01 and N8 is a step up from both motherboards, also I had the E01. The N8 is a great dap if you don't care about streaming, I believe the N3 is a good sounding dap for the money but if you want a step up from Cayin N6 is better if you look into N8

Aug 6, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #2,280 of 91,358
If you enjoy the Cayin N3, I think you will love the Cayin n8

Yup the M8 alongside the 1Z were the best DAPs I've ever heard prior to the M8. I never actually got to hear the tube out with the N8 but the solid state output still set a high bar which so far only the M8 has really bettered it for me-- though this in large part I think because the M8 really specializes dynamic drivers, which have been pretty much my sole focus since I've had it. The only drawbacks of the N8 for me were price (which was effectively a deal breaker) plus given how it's designed, how posh and most importantly how heavy it is it's not really a player you want to take out and about with you, day after day.

Maybe I should get a reborn as well, once the expenses are under control or when the Solaris sells

I'm keeping the Reborn around right now for reference purposes but once September hits and I'm back at work I can send it out for a little tour.

As reference I first had the Cayin n8 black Brass edition and even though it sounded great I sold it because at the time I thought it was too expensive for me. I purchased the Shanling M8 and I liked the sound but I thought it wasn't a step up from Cayin n8 and I sold it, I purchased the Fiio m15 next and I was a bit disappointed and I realized the best thing for me is to buy again the Cayin n8 which I did, the only difference is that I now have the stainless steel edition. To my ears the Cayin n8 has everything in one device, great tube sound plus great solid state sound. The only thing that I am not so fond of is the UI that is the same as in your N3

I'm getting used to the UI after having been spoiled by UAPP for the last few months,

I'm hoping for an updated N8 with streaming capabilities. If Cayin release this im done. Out of the hobby

I hope we get a sub $2K R2R device from them as well.

Maybe not. The Shanling M8 is one of the consistently best sounding players I've heard but the Reborn sounds better with the n3PRo because imho its synergy with tubes elevates it to a higher echelon of SQ than is evident by simply considering how the n3pro costs. I'm sure I'll wind up purchasing an Andromeda at some point just to hear it through the n3PRo.

I see you are using a 3.5mm adapter, so is supossed that 4.4mm balanced output can't get tube sound.

Yup tube sound is only out of 3.5. It was like that on the N8 too if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back