The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 24, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #22,711 of 88,992
Looks nice. Love that volume control. USB-C connector out I'm guessing?

Edit: It's mentioned in the photos. Missed it.
It is quite nice, but why no MQA?

Apr 24, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #22,713 of 88,992
Ken, the chief architect at Subtonic, has an interesting view of reference and musicality, which is -- as they both scale upwards along the ladder of excellence, they will eventually converge at a single point where reference and musicality is the one and the same thing.

Interesting idea. I would consider the Traillii to be the top dog in that area right now...but even there I don't think it's fully accomplished. I think it's totally feasible to have an IEM that's simultaneously sufficiently musical and reference but my own conviction so far is that when push comes to shove at the end of the day to maximize one you need to make a sacrifice in the other. Time will tell if I'm right on this I guess. (I will say that I have my doubts that an IEM without a DD can leave nothing to be desired on the musicality front.)

In other news today the Watercooler thread is one year old. What started as a thread for me to post my reviews, impressions and thoughts because I'd become disenchanted with other communities or felt like I couldn't keep up with the pace and cost of gear discussed in other threads has in a relatively short time turned into a vibrant, thriving community overflowing with great discussion, perspective, fellowship and diversity. I took my name out of the thread title some time ago because it's grown to be so much more than anything that should be associated with or tied to a single individual. This place is what it is because of the community that exists here. I'm not going to name names because there are far too many of you to list but I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude for everyone who for the past year has made this place a little haven of humanity that serves as a daily respite from a world that seems to be going crazier by the moment. Love to you all- here's to another year.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 11:15 AM Post #22,714 of 88,992
The metal case that comes with Thunder isn't very practical, so I went on a hunt for an alternative... didn't take long to decide once I found this Miter on Amazon Japan.

Screenshot_20220424-161259_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20220424-161245_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 24, 2022 at 11:19 AM Post #22,715 of 88,992
Curious, what do you guys consider your most technically capable IEMs/CIEMs? I am referring to resolution, texture, imaging, layering, separation, etc. I consider A18t to be the most technical I've heard and it's a signature I keep coming back to after all these years as a benchmark. I have a certain minimum that I expect in TOTL monitors that IMO in order to be in that category they should have to meet.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #22,716 of 88,992
Oh and I'm sure you've seen already @gLer but just in 'case'

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #22,717 of 88,992
Nice! I thought you have got one. Let me know what you think of it.
We'll chat more. Right now I'm definitely hearing a difference, more with the MDR-Z1R than the IER-Z1R. The bigger question will be, is the difference - which is not night and day but definitely different flavour - enough of a difference for the price. Right now, too early to tell, but my gut says that specifically with my Sony system, maybe not. If I had different IEMs, DAPs or headphones, it could be a different story. I'll switch out the WM1Z, which is proving to be an outstanding TOTL DAP, with the RS6+C9 to see if there's an appreciable jump in quality with other DAPs (especially since I'm using the C9 in preamp mode with the WM1Z, whereas I'd use it in line in with the RS6).
This place is what it is because of the community that exists here. I'm not going to name names because there are far too many of you to list but I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude for everyone who for the past year has made this place a little haven of humanity that serves as a daily respite from a world that seems to be going crazier by the moment. Love to you all- here's to another year.
Appreciate your humility but you are the reason this thread is here, and I daresay it's given the Head-Fi community a real shot in the arm. Here's hoping for many more years of growth and success. 🥂

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #22,718 of 88,992
Curious, what do you guys consider your most technically capable IEMs/CIEMs? I am referring to resolution, texture, imaging, layering, separation, etc. I consider A18t to be the most technical I've heard and it's a signature I keep coming back to after all these years as a benchmark. I have a certain minimum that I expect in TOTL monitors that IMO in order to be in that category they should have to meet.
Fourte and Traillii without question. I owned the former, not the latter, but prefer the Z1R to both.

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #22,719 of 88,992
Apr 24, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #22,720 of 88,992
That's the baby of mine
IMG_20211225_185944.jpgIMG_20211225_185934.jpg

Yep have that one too, I use it for buds. I also have their case for a single DAP and IEM, very nice too. Great brand.

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #22,721 of 88,992
Yep have that one too, I use it for buds. I also have their case for a single DAP and IEM, very nice too. Great brand.
The DX300 does not fit well in the DAP case, does it?
In this mine it does not fit vertically, and it would be necessary to make space horizontally

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #22,722 of 88,992
Cheers to 1 year @Rockwell75! I know I'm a relative newcomer here but I appreciate the inclusivity, comradery and wide reaching discussions that swirl about daily. Thanks for kickstarting and keeping this thread true.
The metal case that comes with Thunder isn't very practical, so I went on a hunt for an alternative... didn't take long to decide once I found this Miter on Amazon Japan.

Ugh, the fact that these match the Miter Classic case means that I pretty much have to pick one up. Good find!

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:39 AM Post #22,723 of 88,992
Has anyone in this thread tried IMR's IEMs? What is your opinion of them? Is there someone who has an IMR among their favorites?

I am intrigued by the Semper but there are almost no opinions or reviews about it. And if graph is, let's say, "amazing?"

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:41 AM Post #22,724 of 88,992
Has anyone in this thread tried IMR's IEMs? What is your opinion of them? Is there someone who has an IMR among their favorites?

I am intrigued by the Semper but there are almost no opinions or reviews about it. And if graph is, let's say, "amazing?"

@Mehran is a former regular of this thread who spoke very highly of the Semper.

Apr 24, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #22,725 of 88,992
The DX300 does not fit well in the DAP case, does it?
In this mine it does not fit vertically, and it would be necessary to make space horizontally

Not sure on DX300. I use mine for the NW-WM1A, great fit. I use the storage side then for the cable but it would comfortably hold an IEM.

20220424_164021.jpg

20220424_164014.jpg

20220424_164108.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back