The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 24, 2022 at 12:38 AM Post #22,666 of 88,408

Walked around a neighboring town today, enjoying the nice weather. Anyone guess the town? It was used in a movie with Ryan Reynolds.

Rockport, Massachusetts.​

Nice! 🦞

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #22,668 of 88,408
The long Scandinavian winter is finally loosening it's grip. Some snowfree spots from last Sunday:

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

The dog is Guy, our working cocker spaniel.

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #22,669 of 88,408
KR5 > XE6 IMO, at least to my ears, come at me. Much preffered, larger stage, better resolution, better separation, still plenty impactful bone conduction. I've discovered I can't really do without bone conductiow, BC ruined me.

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:04 AM Post #22,670 of 88,408
@kevin638880 did you get an anwser about the Centurion's wires being litz or not?

I got bothered reading the comments and decided to check their site whether cables were listed as Litz or not and found:

Litz:
Leo II, Cleopatra, Vogue Series, Chiron

Not mentioned:
Evo Series, Horus

Individually enameled strands:
Centurion, Code 51

Not sure if they're not consistent in their material or using non Litz wires in some cables but not bringing specific attention to it....
According to them, it is non-Litz and non-enameled for the "best sonic quality". Not going to comment on the sonic quality because, well, it is very good sounding and that's why I bought it in the first place. They said that there is a chance for the cable to oxidise as a result.

They are replacing it for free and I should get the new one in early May (once they have sorted out the arrangement details with the HK distributor). I am still extremely disappointed by the fact that a 5k cable can turn black in three months while nothing happened to other Centurions that have been used for much longer, but I should also mention that EA is professional in their response and action. They reached out to me and offered a no-BS solution, a free replacement. I am very satisfied with the communication so far, definitely very good customer service.

FWIW I didn't use it for two days and that happened - maybe the oxidation happened much earlier without me noticing, I don't know. I really should get an anti-moisture box. Let's hope that the new one's gold plating is more solid and fares better. If it turns black again I might just sell it and return to stock cable camp.

Edit: My friend at the audio shop took some macro shots and it is definitely oxidation because small bubbles can be spotted, so it is not me spilling ink on the cable or something. But then, how could the oxidised black stuff go over the "gold plating", which cannot oxidise, is still beyond me.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 2:11 AM Post #22,671 of 88,408
I initially didn't like Traillii with M9, it took a bit of adjustment - fantastic synergy for me once I allowed enough time though. I'm really looking forward to getting Traillii back next weekend actually!

It’s funny how we all have our own little day by day thermometers and personal “best of” charts that are always changing. You list Zen Pro at the bottom right now...whereas I've just come off a phase where I'd been neglecting it for a month and after two days of exclusive listening it's totally won my heart again.

Beautiful cable...bummer about the 2.5.

After referencing The Orb gig I attended in 1994, that led me to revisiting their 'UFOrb' album from 1992. I discovered this in 1993 when i was about 16, myself and my mates were quite partial to weed and some other altered states of consciousness and albums like this often accompanied our sessions. I of course listened on a regular basis outside of those sessions, absolutely enthralled by my growing love for electronic music at the time and loving the associated crate digging, tape recordings, pirate stations etc.

The revisit today was wonderful, all these years later, I still adore this album - it puts a shiver through me, and a tear to the eye getting transported back to that pretty wild but amazing time in my teens. Ireland was a fantastic place to be coming of age in the midst of the rise/evolution of acid house, and all of the others that emerged at the time (house, techno, trance, hardcore etc) - it shut off class barriers, everyone met at raves, clubs, parties and came together in a shared passion for the scene. It predated smartphones and there wasn't much ego, typical choice of clothing was to ensure practically for dancing all night, and often into the next day... trainers, jeans, and a t-shirt.

Anyway, this is my track of the week - it conjured up so many memories and emotions while listening earlier, from a big smile to a few tears. A great track also to enjoy some deep sub bass, as the title suggests. Always loved the sampled intro, before the track slowly unfolds and the bass drops... bliss.

https://tidal.com/track/1115627

Great album and track!

My life after Jewel.

LOL I ate ramen for a month in uni once so I could buy a TOTL Sony Sport Walkman.

I still find it odd that people are willing to shell out these ever increasing multiples of $1K for musicality. Musicality should be fundamental property of the purpose of an iem regardless.

Perhaps all IEMs have some degree of musicality-- but many of them beyond a point eschew musicality in favour of a more technical performance.

Musicality is admittedly one of those terms we use that is probably interpreted and understood by different people in different ways. For me at its best it consists of a certain type of emotional engagement that seems to be an emergent property or synergistic quality which manifests under circumstances that aren't always easy to precisely discern or describe-- like the whole that is mysteriously greater than the sum of all the parts. All my favorite IEMs have this quality and it is far and away what I am looking for above all when I contemplate spending large sums of $$. I never know when I'm going to be swept off my feet by an IEM but my best guess based on my experience is that the sort of musical engagement I am seeking manifests most fully in IEMs that are the result of some sort of singular vision or inspiration inherent in the creative process behind them.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #22,672 of 88,408
According to them, it is non-Litz and non-enameled for the "best sonic quality". Not going to comment on the sonic quality because, well, it is very good sounding and that's why I bought it in the first place. They said that there is a chance for the cable to oxidise as a result.

They are replacing it for free and I should get the new one in early May (once they have sorted out the arrangement details with the HK distributor). I am still extremely disappointed by the fact that a 5k cable can turn black in three months while nothing happened to other Centurions that have been used for much longer, but I should also mention that EA is professional in their response and action. They reached out to me and offered a no-BS solution, a free replacement. I am very satisfied with the communication so far, definitely very good customer service.

FWIW I didn't use it for two days and that happened - maybe the oxidation happened much earlier without me noticing, I don't know. I really should get an anti-moisture box. Let's hope that the new one's gold plating is more solid and fares better. If it turns black again I might just sell it and return to stock cable camp.
Not sure if you've posted a pic before, could I see it pls? I don't think it has to do with usage; my Centurion could sometimes see no usage for weeks, if not a month or more. How long have you owned it? But I agree with you on the EA customer service and brand experience policies; clear signs of a brand going places. Nothing is perfect in life, everyone makes mistakes, but being honest, sincere and willing to do the right thing is the hallmark of brand integrity and its willingness to stand behind its products no matter what.

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:17 AM Post #22,673 of 88,408
Perhaps all IEMs have some degree of musicality-- but many of them beyond a point eschew musicality in favour of a more technical performance.

Musicality is admittedly one of those terms we use that is probably interpreted and understood by different people in different ways. For me at its best it consists of a certain type of emotional engagement that seems to be an emergent property or synergistic quality which manifests under circumstances that aren't always easy to precisely discern or describe-- like the whole that is mysteriously greater than the sum of all the parts. All my favorite IEMs have this quality and it is far and away what I am looking for above all when I contemplate spending large sums of $$. I never know when I'm going to be swept off my feet by an IEM but my best guess based on my experience is the sort of musical engagement I am seeking manifests most fully in IEMs that are the result of some sort of singular vision or inspiration inherent in the creative process.
Great point, well articulated. Worth creating another ID just to like it one more time haha!

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #22,674 of 88,408
Since it is apparently photo sharing day....

B6813426-9208-47E7-8D86-F1571858BF8F.jpeg

CA321FE5-C0C7-4137-B37C-7CDE4C4826B0.jpeg

One of the best mountain range views of Hong Kong, the Dog's Teeth Ridge south of Lantau Peak. Often referred to as one of the most difficult hikes, it is actually fairly easy if you have some basic scrambling experience, but still have to be careful with some mild exposures to steep drops. Difficulty and danger is nothing compared to the streams nearby which require some rock climbing skills to ascend the waterfalls, such as the Crouching Dragon stream and the Dragon's Jaw nearby:

AF857B43-0C17-4BCF-9821-4C10651C93A5.jpeg

81CBDD06-B9D1-4D9C-B265-C086437770DC.jpeg

C74A82D1-1E37-4388-A92E-8E27F075AA61.jpeg

...which literally requires you to climb a cliff face to exit the stream. Several fatal accidents have occured here before, so safety measures are paramount.

Which also means that I did not take my DAPs and IEMs to these hiking trips because I am scared that it might fall out....

Really hoping to visit more foreign mountain ranges once travel restrictions are lifted. Matterhorn/Fuji are on the top of my wishlist.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #22,675 of 88,408

Edit: My friend at the audio shop took some macro shots and it is definitely oxidation because small bubbles can be spotted, so it is not me spilling ink on the cable or something. But then, how could the oxidised black stuff go over the "gold plating", which cannot oxidise, is still beyond me.
I remember Roy Kimber (I believe his name is), founder of Kimber Cables, talked about how plated cables are actually more prone to oxidation, because there can be tiny, tiny gaps between the plating and the core material, where air can enter and cause oxidation. Now, I don’t know whether or not that’s true, or if he said it as a marketing thing to push his own non-plated products. But, perhaps that’s what’s happening to your cable here.

It’s funny how we all have our own little day by day thermometers and personal “best of” charts that are always changing. You list Zen Pro at the bottom right now...whereas I've just come off a phase where I'd been neglecting it for a month and after two days of exclusive listening it's totally won my heart again.

Beautiful cable...bummer about the 2.5.

Great album and track!

LOL I ate ramen for a month in uni once so I could buy a TOTL Sony Sport Walkman.

Musicality is admittedly one of those terms we use that is probably interpreted and understood by different people in different ways. For me at its best it consists of a certain type of emotional engagement that seems to be an emergent property or synergistic quality which manifests under circumstances that aren't always easy to precisely discern or describe-- like the whole that is mysteriously greater than the sum of all the parts. All my favorite IEMs have this quality and it is far and away what I am looking for above all when I contemplate spending large sums of $$. I never know when I'm going to be swept off my feet by an IEM but my best guess based on my experience is the sort of musical engagement I am seeking manifests most fully in IEMs that are the result of some sort of singular vision or inspiration inherent in the creative process.
‘Great summation of musicality. It greatly applies to the production of the music itself. Everyone involved has to aim for the same target and stay in the same pocket. Otherwise, that awkwardness (or lack of cohesion) is what’ll impede musical momentum from ever building.

In IEMs, I’ve noticed there is a key component of musicality that does tend to rise proportionally with MSRP, and that’s dynamic range. One of the main advantages pricey flagships have over less-expensive IEMs is their ability to sound big and open, which comes from dynamic range (or go from small to big). So, that’s the one contributor towards musicality that you do have to pay decent bucks for.

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #22,676 of 88,408
Glad to hear, customer service has definitely waxed and waned with EA over the years. The recent improvement is probably most likely to do with their rebranding and ever skyrocketing prices though

I took another look at their site and they don't specify it being Litz or individually enameled so it definitely teaches us all a lesson that we shouldn't just assume a cable will be Litz off the bat.

The reviewers seem to pretty inconsistent regarding the Centurion as well, I also took a look at the bigger reviews that showed on googleand found:

Headfonia: Straightout says the cable is Litz

Headfonics: Copied specs from their site as is.

Twister6: Says the strands are individually enameled.

Even the C51 was more consistent.

Fair enough, I've heard a few TOTLs where even I found then too technical.

I think you're spot on with that. For me I find that the extension of musicality necessitates technical excellence but not in a way where technical excellence overshadows it.

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #22,677 of 88,408
Not sure if you've posted a pic before, could I see it pls? I don't think it has to do with usage; my Centurion could sometimes see no usage for weeks, if not a month or more. How long have you owned it? But I agree with you on the EA customer service and brand experience policies; clear signs of a brand going places. Nothing is perfect in life, everyone makes mistakes, but being honest, sincere and willing to do the right thing is the hallmark of brand integrity and its willingness to stand behind its products no matter what.
4D69285C-E801-42D5-9E9C-9C0A3282FFD3.jpeg
53819660-7F49-4DEE-8738-175FF7E1346D.jpeg
FA0D832C-1970-4FA9-A8E9-82B044EE235B.jpeg

The macros are with my friend, now asking him to send them to me (if he didn't delete it....)

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #22,678 of 88,408
I remember Roy Kimber (I believe his name is), founder of Kimber Cables, talked about how plated cables are actually more prone to oxidation, because there can be tiny, tiny gaps between the plating and the core material, where air can enter and cause oxidation. Now, I don’t know whether or not that’s true, or if he said it as a marketing thing to push his own non-plated products. But, perhaps that’s what’s happening to your cable here.
Could be, but how did the layer of oxidised black appear on top of the plating? Also didn't happen to other Centurions as far as I am concerned, and many had it for several months longer.

Never a fan of "reference signature", at least for me. Definitely need musicality in all of my setups!

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #22,679 of 88,408
Since it is apparently photo sharing day....

B6813426-9208-47E7-8D86-F1571858BF8F.jpeg
CA321FE5-C0C7-4137-B37C-7CDE4C4826B0.jpeg

One of the best mountain range views of Hong Kong, the Dog's Teeth Ridge south of Lantau Peak. Often referred to as one of the most difficult hikes, it is actually fairly easy if you have some basic scrambling experience, but still have to be careful with some mild exposures to steep drops. Difficulty and danger is nothing compared to the streams nearby which require some rock climbing skills to ascend the waterfalls, such as the Crouching Dragon stream and the Dragon's Jaw nearby:

AF857B43-0C17-4BCF-9821-4C10651C93A5.jpeg
81CBDD06-B9D1-4D9C-B265-C086437770DC.jpeg
C74A82D1-1E37-4388-A92E-8E27F075AA61.jpeg

...which literally requires you to climb a cliff face to exit the stream. Several fatal accidents have occured here before, so safety measures are paramount.

Which also means that I did not take my DAPs and IEMs to these hiking trips because I am scared that it might fall out....

Really hoping to visit more foreign mountain ranges once travel restrictions are lifted. Matterhorn/Fuji are on the top of my wishlist.
Looks nice, most of times I've been in Hk was to visit my maternal grandparents and was mostly kept in the territory of the tram line vicinity on the island when in fact exploring the non urban side of things was what my family wanted to do.

The most unurban thing I did was probably the trail on the Peak and Lantau

‘Great summation of musicality. It greatly applies to the production of the music itself. Everyone involved has to aim for the same target and stay in the same pocket. Otherwise, that awkwardness (or lack of cohesion) is what’ll impede musical momentum from ever building.

In IEMs, I’ve noticed there is a key component of musicality that does tend to rise proportionally with MSRP, and that’s dynamic range. One of the main advantages pricey flagships have over less-expensive IEMs is their ability to sound big and open, which comes from dynamic range (or go from small to big). So, that’s the one contributor towards musicality that you do have to pay decent bucks for.
Perhaps places that go for pure wires are onto something in this case. I'd like my pretty cable to stray pretty.

Production didnt come to mind, but definitely. The source material will always affect the end product. But this wouldnt be tied to the price tag of said gear.

Definitely dynamic range, that's one of things I consider technicality. Also the reason I've been unable to go back to anything under 2k

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:49 AM Post #22,680 of 88,408

Glad they will replace it for you. If you are not in love with the cable, you might want to sell it while it will be brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back