The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 19, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #21,766 of 88,974
Landed, looking forward to finally trying these!

20220419_103007.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 6:25 AM Post #21,767 of 88,974
Any Better Call Saul fans here? About to dig into season 6 :D
Me too, just watched the last couple episodes of season 5 again to get back in.
Feels like such a long wait for 6.

Love the tension between morally challenged Saul and how “honest” Kim puts up with him, since she loves him.
See this kind of dynamic often,
“not the immoral part”.

Edit… just realized this is another reason why living in Canada wins, NetFlix USA does not have season six and will not have till late 2023, now I need yet another streaming service or I wait.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #21,768 of 88,974
@Neweymatt's vote came before that post and was edited into this one. Nice try :p. (You scared me there for a sec I've been quite careful about making sure everything is accurately tabulated...having to go back and recheck everything would be a nightmare.)
Ha ha, I am from Chicago after all, we always vote more than once 😉
Legacy IEMs (those above that have been out since at least 2019):

IER Z1R
Mason
Fourte
a/u12t
Legend X
Andromeda
FA10000
Not really surprised my top3 are all Legacy status IEMs, clearly a result of my pragmatic, risk-averse approach to the hobby so far. Results of this poll should make it that much easier to blind buy something in future.
I spent a few hours today listening to the CCA CRA. Keeps me grounded and reminds me of cost vs enjoyment when contemplating big spends.
I use my CRA on a FiiO Bluetooth lanyard most mornings at the gym or out for a run, I think they’re great for this. I use Symbio F tips to isolate a little better and also tame any of the treble sharpness. Perfect beater set, I’ve got another BNIB just in case.

Apr 19, 2022 at 7:21 AM Post #21,769 of 88,974
Landed, looking forward to finally trying these!

I think you will enjoy these after a week of break in. Unless you are just going to use the included cable, you will need another one, either 2.5 or 4.4. Go to CEMA Electroacusti store at Ali Express and get an $50 or less SPC cable with the necessary QDC terminations.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 7:55 AM Post #21,770 of 88,974
I think you will enjoy these after a week of break in. Unless you are just going to use the included cable, you will need another one, either 2.5 or 4.4. Go to CEMA Electroacusti store at Ali Express and get an $50 or less SPC cable with the necessary QDC terminations.

I had a quick listen, impressed out of the box but I'll definitely leave them burn-in. I've popped a Hidisz 4.4mm cable I had knocking about on for now, but I'll take a look on AE as I'd prefer the correct termination.

20220419_122427.jpg

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #21,771 of 88,974
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:38 AM Post #21,772 of 88,974
Late to the party, but here are my top three:

1. Traillii
2. Red Halo FE
3. Mason FuSang

Well this is interesting. So far I've been counting Mason FS and Red Halos as one IEM...wondering if I should split them up after all.

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #21,773 of 88,974
Well this is interesting. So far I've been counting Mason FS and Red Halos as one IEM...wondering if I should split them up after all.

In my opinion you did well to combine them, the product name is "MASON Red Halo".

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #21,774 of 88,974
Separating the Mason variants would alter the top leaders.

They do sound very similar to each other I heard all three. The Red Halo has a new and improved BC and is a little different I heard as slightly better. FuSang slightly less if at all to FS.

Grouping them together makes just as much sense as separating them. Same may be said for the LX variations, etc. best to treat this sort of nuance consistently across all brands I think.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #21,775 of 88,974
In my opinion you did well to combine them, the product name is "MASON Red Halo".

Yes and it would probably be too much work to untangle them at this point. My policy so far has been to not let anyone cast two votes for the same iEM...so to be consistent @Blanchot's vote will be 1 point for Traillii and 1 for Mason.

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #21,776 of 88,974
Grouping them together makes just as much sense as separating them. Same may be said for the LX variations, etc. best to treat this nuance consistently across all brands I think.

Yup is what I've been doing (Andro, u/112t, Mason, Fourte etc.)

Apr 19, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #21,777 of 88,974
Yes and it would probably be too much work to untangle them at this point. My policy so far has been to not let anyone cast two votes for the same iEM...so to be consistent @Blanchot's vote will be 1 point for Traillii and 1 for Mason.
What if position one counted for 3 votes, position 2 for 2, position 1 for 1, what would that do to the scoring, may actually move EXT to number 1 or 2?

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #21,778 of 88,974
Update: Note-- in cases where there are multiple versions of basically the same IEM (Fourte, Mason, Andro etc.) I will be counting them all under the same banner. Also the policy so far has been to only allow people to cast one vote per IEM. Everyone is entitled to 3 votes-- so if your two favorite IEMs are Fourte and Fourte Noir-- just put down Fourte and then two others. Edit: On that note I combined MEST and MEST MKii.

Spring 2022 Watercooler Top 3 Survey Results

A survey of about 63 Watercooler regulars of their top 3 IEMs taken over April 16/17 2022...

King's Table

Traillii
x19
IER Z1R x14
Jewel x12
EXT x11
XE6 x11
Odin x10
Phonix x10

The above could be considered the true "heart of the cooler" at the moment.

Nobility

Mason/Red Halo x9
a/u12t x6
Fourte x6
EVO x5
Legend X x5
Indigo x4
Andromeda x3
Ne4 x3
X x3
Annihilator x2
Dorado 2020 x2
FA10000 x2
Infinity MkII x2
Isa x2
MEXT x2
MEST x2
Nio x2
Thummim x2
Timeless x2

Legacy IEMs (those above that have been out since at least 2019):

IER Z1R
Mason
Fourte
a/u12t
Legend X
Andromeda
FA10000

a18s
Ace
Aionic 3
Anima
CRA
DC Ti
Eden
Elysium
Erlkonig
E3000
EP05
ER3SE
EST50
G Buds 2
IE900
Isa
Kaiser
Kr5
KSE-1200
Oriolus MKii
Orivetti
Ozar
Penon Legend
Phantom LE
Savant 2
SE11
Shingiku Kangen
Solaris
Starlight
Thunder
Titan
Turii
Variations
VE8
Volt
Volume
Wraith

Top Brands Mentioned:

Vision Ears x 23 (4 different IEMs)
Oriolus x 20 (3 different IEMs)
EE x 19 (5 different IEMs)
Fir x 15 (3 different IEMs)
UM x 15 (??? different IEMs)
Aroma x 14 (3 different IEMs)
Sony x 13 (1 IEM)

Some thoughts at this point:
  • Elder statesman IER Z1R keeps showing it has what it takes to keep up with the young bucks.
  • VE's two flagships both have an impressive showing and VE is also the most well represented brand here.
  • The Xe6 is the reigning champ of the Fir lineup here
  • Aroma putting in a very strong showing considering how expensive and until recently rare it was
  • The Bird is still king.
  • Timeless & Isa are the lone sub $1K IEMs in the upper echelons.
  • The biggest question in my mind is how Elysian would have fared if more here had heard their IEMs. (Tempted to blind buy the new one myself.)
  • The top of the top above comprise a fairly diverse array of tunings which is nice to see-- we like variety here, a sign of a healthy community.
  • It was nice to see Penon get some love-- based on what I've heard their IEMs don't get as much recognition as they should in light of other similar brands that are over hyped.
Edit: @named name

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #21,779 of 88,974
What if position one counted for 3 votes position 2 for 2, position 1 for 1,

I thought about that-- but by the time I did we were too far into it. I'd have to comb through 50 pages plus I didn't advertise that way so I can't assume people voted that way. Plus I'm sure people would have voted more strategically that way perhaps...I know I might have. I think the results we got were pretty genuine.

what would that do to the scoring, may actually move EXT to number 1 or 2?

I think Traillii would still be the winner-- perhaps by an even greater margin. Most people who voted for it had it at 1. Regarding the rest...they're too close to say really.

Apr 19, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #21,780 of 88,974
I thought about that-- but by the time I did we were too far into it. I'd have to comb through 50 pages plus I didn't advertise that way so I can't assume people voted that way. Plus I'm sure people would have voted more strategically that way perhaps...I know I might have. I think the results we got were pretty genuine.
Agreed, very interesting results.

Surprised a little Traillii remained so strong.
This mimicked the feedback I got helping at the MT table at CJNY. 50/50 Ext over Phoenix, the other TOTL offerings struggled to beat the Bird, for a few people one of the others did, not many though.
No love for the MADD sets.

Surprised by the FiR sets, at CJNY not many were talking much about them. I think they were the silent winner of the weekend.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back