The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 18, 2022 at 11:00 PM Post #21,751 of 87,487
Been a while since I shared a pic of my purple lovelies:

7C14B766-8A06-43DE-8FF1-62D1D4042ADF.JPEG

Apr 18, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #21,752 of 87,487
Apr 18, 2022 at 11:12 PM Post #21,753 of 87,487
Hmm. Hope you are pulling on the inner section of the plug, ie the wider circumference part that is spring-loaded and acts as some kind of locking mechanism, which then makes it is very easy to disconnect.
If you are referring to the knurled ring, then yes I am pulling that section.

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #21,755 of 87,487
This is kinda how I'm feeling now with Dorados paired with M11 Plus ESS. But I'm so curious to hear the EXT and XE6 that it may force me to save for the longer-term, and who knows by then, there may be an EXT and XE6 "like" IEM for much less! It's just how this game goes...companies find ways to mimic sound signatures for hopefully way less...

Honestly if you want an XE6 in terms of sound signature , just get an XE6. So far I can’t think of any bone conduction driver IEMs cheaper than MEST. Are there?

Apr 19, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #21,756 of 87,487
Last edited:
Apr 19, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #21,759 of 87,487
My vote for that as well. Also reviewed it Here.

Unfortunately the company closed the doors last year.
Wow, did they? That's really unfortunate to hear. I know they just relocated a couple years ago, and they told me about some new in-ears they planned to release as well. It’s a shame, but at least they can see they didn’t go out without a hit. :)

Apr 19, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #21,761 of 87,487
That is the beauty of this hobby. For those with a limited budget, there are lots of choices and just as much discussion here if you choose to look for it. Even budget IEMs require research to pick a good one and avoid the hype. Having been there and done that as some others here, I hope you can pick up on some of the Watercoolers' nickel rockets like the CCA CRN, Penon Serial, Timeless, etc.
When my Serials arrive, I would have completed the nickel rockets lineup! Haha!

CRA is an incredible iem for 16€, nothing wrong if cost 200$ IMHO.
I found a great matching with Penon PAC480 (50$) cable and RS6
The PAC480 looks good too! Thanks for the rec! It is in my cart!

On the subject of lower price IEMs, I chose the BQEYZ Autumn tonight - I had a busy day, and actually the first opportunity to listen to IEMs all day. With that in mind, I decided a good opportunity to give these a try. This is another great example of where it really is not necessary to spend mega bucks for excellent sound. Very musical IEMs, with incredibly enjoyable sub bass, lush clear mids, and enough treble to satisfy all but the most hardcore treble fans. Decent width stage, not massively deep but with surprisingly good detail retrieval. They remind me most of ZEN PRO, but with more sub bass. They are a metal shell, but incredibly light - I can hardly feel them in my ears, one that would be easy to wear for hours.

It's nuts to think these are less than $200. I think I'll revert to playing more in this space again for a while, I've enough top tier sets for the moment, and I get almost as much pleasure out of experiencing what the lower price sets can do... and they don't break the bank.

20220418_210858.jpg
From your signature, it seems like you have moved the Serials on?

Well, I still like the KZ DQ6 better than the CCA CRA (I have both).
There are people who find the DQ6 more shouty, but for me the CRA has some treble peak that I find unbearable (I only listen to hard rock, progressive and metal).

I have tried to try all my tips and even with EQ, but I can't achieve a tonality that I like 100% with the CRA.
I found that with burn-in it tamed the CRA's treble peak.

I’ve had about a week with a TGXEar line up of ear buds from @tgx78 now. 36B9A43E-D9BC-4264-8722-565257614676.jpeg
Left to right:

Tantalus - 500 Ω - beryllium composite driver - a vocal centric sound very reminiscent of the VE Phonix to my ears

Serratus - 300 Ω - very resolving, warm mids but much more spacious sound with excellent treble detail deep bass.

Those two are prototypes without the “finalized” tuning and really need an amp to shine from my experience.

Tio Lake Red Edition - Titanium dome. These are a fantastic all ‘rounder that works brilliantly from my RU6. Not quite the extension of the Serratus and a bit more intimate but excellent timbre and note definition.

#4 Unnamed - I was given this at our West Coast Meet to play with and get a sense of earbuds. Aluminum dome doesn’t have the note definition of the Tio Lake or the precision in the bass but after a few minutes they just become an enjoyable listen as the tuning is similar and just a bit behind in technicalities and extension.

I first heard the #4 and when the Tio Lakes arrived, these were my impressions

”Some preliminary comparisons. Very similar tuning so requires a different focus. Not like iems that seem more different from each other.
I hear a difference in the fundamentals of notes. There seems to be a speed of attack that gives more definition to the initial strike of a piano note and a little more vibrancy on a violin string. The prototype tends to have more of the resonance of the note without as much of that primary strike.
Bass seems a bit deeper or maybe it’s the same speed that gives the definition and as a result I get more the sense of the note rather than the frequency, if that makes sense.
Just switched back after about 20 minutes with the Tio Lakes and it’s very obvious. Definitely a clearer note and deeper bass.
These are really great with lute. The ”improvements” give more definition to the different string tones and there’s more of a sense of a real instrument over the sense of a recording. I’m having trouble expressing what I mean but because they sound similar but the Tio Lakes definitely seem more refined. The “clarity“ of the titanium is like a super tweeter effect. It is everywhere cleaner and clearer even with a relatively similar freq response.”

A week went by and then came the Serratus and Tantalus protoypes.
I was very very shocked what an earbud is capable of.

Holy cow.. how do I describe these? So subtlely different but also very different.
At first I tried the RU6. I preferred the Tio Lakes partially from familiarity but the Serratus sounded a bit thin and distant. More meat on the Tantalus but I could tell that they weren’t getting enough power even though it was the Serratus that needed the most volume..
I kind of wrote the Serratus off for a bit and went to the WA7 with the Tantalus. What a grand sound. So much dimension and scale. Deep bass, full mids and detailed highs. Strings swell beautifully..
Piano has the nice secondary ring to fill out the notes. These are the “thickest” sounding.

This track though I was listening to and tried the Serratus after the Tantalus

I was stopped dead in my tracks. I had to up the volume a bit but Holy Sh#t.. The Serratus with strings is just beautiful.. Maybe my favourite for strings of all three. High violins are sublime. And there’s weight and lightness in the notes. These are amazing. So clean sounding.

The Tantalus though can bring out that almost breathy sound that only a viola can make, that weird tone that makes you wonder if the instrument was designed to make it.. if you know what I mean? That really odd timbre where there’s maybe too much air in the viola to move so the note just floats on it?

I’ve got the Serratus in now listening to this and Ive got tears in my eyes

And now with the Tantalus…. There’s that beautiful string tone. The piano is more dense and forceful but the richness is so addictive, so musical.

Right now it’s very tough to call a favourite. These do seem “better” than the Tio lake but need the amp to bring that out. The Tio Lake still seem to sync with the RU6 so nicely.”

Later on I put on some Billie Eilish to test the vocal qualities of the Tantalus and the timbre is so rich and full. This is where these remind me of the Phonix. During the VE tour I discovered that things like Joni Mitchell or anything with femal vocals sounded just fabulous and I’m having the same reaction with the Tantalus. The Serratus is becoming my go to for my Rolf Lislevand and solo string instrument but put on vocals like this and the Tantalus shines.

The main issue I’ve had with these is fit. I have big ears and particularly my left ear is structured that it cannot “grab” the perimeter of the earbud shell well and it tends to slip.. I have a few types of covers on the way to try but for now this is my solution and it is working great. Listening to Rolf Lislevand with the Serratus while I type this and I haven’t had to reseat or adjust these in over 40 minutes.

DB58D7CF-2826-43A3-BEEA-4BF13B45CB12.jpeg

Earbuds are a different experience for iems, for me landing somewhere between them and headphones. These however have completely changed my mind on what I thought earbuds were.
I haven’t had reactions to pure timbre like this since the venerable likes of the Traillii and Elysium.

These aren‘t your old Apple earbuds.

Earbuds have been such a revelation for me as well. I have the EM5, EP05, X6, EB2S and have the EP09 and tofino incoming. As you say, they are like a cross between iems and headphones. Of course you don't get the same level of intensity as with iems but the soundstage is like that of headphones. They are certainly a different experience and I would say you should try them if you have not. It is cheap too. For example, the X6 is only about US$12 on Aliexpress. Cheaper even then the venerable CRA! It certainly gets one bubble from me!

Any Better Call Saul fans here? About to dig into season 6 :D
I am a Breaking Bad fan. Looks like I will have to start Better Call Saul! Season 6 already!!!

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:06 AM Post #21,762 of 87,487
The Aroma Amp is the real deal...it is blowing my mind. Will follow up with some notes tmr. If anyone asks me for under rated gear which punches beyond its price point, Aroma A100TB certainly belongs on the list. 🔥🔥🔥

4BF284D2-CF16-40BB-9C46-084BB37F8E5E.jpeg

I think it's time even here for this combo :p
I follow A100 since was released and A100TB is even better.
@bigbeans do you compare it with C9?

Apr 19, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #21,763 of 87,487
The PAC480 looks good too! Thanks for the rec! It is in my cart!
You're welcome, but consider also PAC480 is a bit heavy compare to stock cable, isn't stiff, but i don't find it comfy for mobile use due to its weight.
I found that with burn-in it tamed the CRA's treble peak.
Me too, CRA after 200h burnin sounds a lot better and PAC480 add a bit body also without change original tuning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back