The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 17, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #21,317 of 89,923
So my first list of this kind, off the same amped DAC/DAP on classical/crossover-electronic/jazz -- (1) Annihilator, (2) Odin and (3) Traillii.

EE is now the most mentioned brand. That is an interesting bit of data.

Apr 17, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #21,318 of 89,923
EE is now the most mentioned brand. That is an interesting bit of data.
Well, it is an established brand with many models at quite decent price points, comparatively speaking, appeasing a large cross-section of customers with different tastes and requirements. Plus @Jack Vang is probably the most active and influential IEM principal on here, which must have a greater impact than others. I feel.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:00 AM Post #21,319 of 89,923
So Traillii, Jewel, EXT, Xe6 & Mason are the Cooler's favorite IEMs and EE, VE, Oriolus, Aroma, UM and Fir the favorite brands. As interesting as this whole exercise was (thank-you to all who participated) it's not like all that info wasn't obvious :p. I'm more surprised at what didn't get mentioned as what did.
Hilarious that I've heard exactly 0 of those iems *hysterical sobbing*

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #21,320 of 89,923
Hilarious that I've heard exactly 0 of those iems *hysterical sobbing*

Based on what I can grasp of your preferences Traillii, EXT & Xe6 would be right out the window, Jewel a contender and I'm not sure about Mason.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:05 AM Post #21,321 of 89,923
Been enjoying the “radio stations” on Apple Music. Found this Nils Frahm album I didn’t even know about.. this song is just intense

Actually it’s a great album entirely..

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #21,322 of 89,923
Been enjoying the “radio stations” on Apple Music. Found this Nils Frahm album I didn’t even know about.. this song is just intense

What are your top 3 IEMs? (For science.)

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:27 AM Post #21,324 of 89,923
Based on what I can grasp of your preferences Traillii, EXT & Xe6 would be right out the window, Jewel a contender and I'm not sure about Mason.
I more or less agree with that.

The EXT might be more of an unknown factor like the Mason.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #21,325 of 89,923

Geez.. do I qualify since I only own one iem the CCA-CRA.. ? I’m all earbuds and my Diana’s. :)

But for science.. if someone offered me 3 to have to cover all bases…. But this would not be my list if I had to rank them in order of “If I was offered only one” and I had to chose if the one before it was sold out or discontinued or something.. ie.. the best I prefer even if they crossover in tuning..

I didn’t read the rules so here are my two lists based on what I’ve heard.

first list - if I could have 3 for a collection

1. Traillii - I’ve been following the Traillii vs Jewel with interest. There was a post about a week ago or so that compared the two extremely well and it was almost a perfect description of preferences. I completely favoured the Traillii descriptions but could easily see how someone else might prefer the Jewel descriptions. I wish I knew where that post was as it should be a sticky for anyone wanting to choose between these two.

2. VE Phonix - as a complement to the Traillii for a more musical and romantic listen or for thinner sounding recordings. So addictive on the right music but kind of ”off” for some of my music.

3. EE Odin ... tough one as I would want a bassy iem.. I’d probably take something like an Odin or an EXT. As this is the have 3 to cover all then probably the Odin as I just love the W9+ bass. But overall I prefer the EXT mids..

Second list… top 3 if I could have only one for the bulk of my library

1. Traillii
2. Jewel
3. Elysium

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:34 AM Post #21,326 of 89,923
1. Traillii - I’ve been following the Traillii vs Jewel with interest. There was a post about a week ago or so that compared the two extremely well and it was almost a perfect description of preferences. I completely favoured the Traillii descriptions but could easily see how someone else might prefer the Jewel descriptions. I wish I knew where that post was as it should be a sticky for anyone wanting to choose between these two.

2. VE Phonix - as a complement to the Traillii for a more musical and romantic listen or for thinner sounding recordings. So addictive on the right music but kind of ”off” for some of my music.

3. EE Odin ... tough one as I would want a bassy iem.. I’d probably take something like an Odin or an EXT. As this is the have 3 to cover all then probably the Odin as I just love the W9+ bass. But overall I prefer the EXT mids..

Using this list because it came first.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:39 AM Post #21,327 of 89,923
Using this list because it came first.

Sorry to complicate things.. I saw other lists but couldn’t decide how to rank them. There are several iems I would take over the Odin as an individual choice including the Elysium or EXT.. but anyway they’re all good.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 1:40 AM Post #21,328 of 89,923
Sorry to complicate things.. I saw other lists but couldn’t decide how to rank them.

No need for apologies. I knew it would be the Bird + 2.

Apr 17, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #21,330 of 89,923
I’ve never done a ranking list of iems before, but here’s my personal take on where my iems (universal-fit, w/ Radius Deep Mount silicone tips) are ranked so far, in terms of overall tonality and performance (and partly, comfort/fit).

1. Sony IER-Z1R (w/ PS 4-wire spc cable in 4.4 balanced).
IER-Z1R has excellent dynamics, and is engaging to listen to, with wide soundstage and excellent depth, well defined imaging and positioning of instruments, vocals and subjects with exceptional speed and layering. It is my first flagship iem, and the set that I am keeping and listening to in rotation (until it breaks, as it is no longer serviceable nor replaceable for a new unit outside its warranty). Fit is not as comfortable nor as easy on the ears, but it works just fine with angled mmcx connectors for few hours of listening at a time.

2. VE8 (w/ PS 8-wire gold plated hybrid cable in 4.4 balanced).
Presents a warm and organic-like tone with good body in a subtly smooth musical way with just enough detail and good technical performance, and by far, the most comfortable/easy fitting iem for long listening sessions.

3. U12t (w/ PS 2-wire spc cable in 4.4 balanced).
An all-around technical and dynamic performer and presents the music adequately, with not much to fault.

Some notable mentions.
4. UM MEST MK1 (w/ Final Audio Type E silicone tips and CEMA MS copper cable in 4.4 balanced).
Spacious and dynamic staging and imaging, and just an all-around great performer for streaming and watching orchestral performances (classical music), and exceptionally good for action-packed, adventure and suspense/thriller movies

5. Empire Ears Bravado MK1 (1DD + 1BA, w/ Final Audio Type E silicone tips and PS 2-wire spc cable in 4.4 balanced).
Despite the bulky shells and mediocre fit, the Bravado MK1 was one of the most fun/engaging iems I’ve listened to, with just the right balance of heft, physicality and fun factor from its low end, slightly drawn back mids and enough sparkle and detail in highs, for the time I had this set, yet it was sold to fund another set of iems I was looking to buy at the time. If Empire Ears makes a more engaging and musical Bravado, similar to what made the MK1 so engaging and fun, for their next entry-level model release, I’d be all up for it. =)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back