The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 17, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #21,346 of 91,357
Like @efftee said, it’s just about getting a different sound, for me. Stuff like cables can only do so much, and an amp can bring certain changes to imaging and dynamics that you can’t quite get through other means. It’s not a necessity or power-hunger thing.
DACs factor in too (though probably less than amps), as does DSP (if the sound path goes through any sort of DSP or FPGA filtering), as do the onboard components (capacitors, power supplies), and if you drink Sony Kool-aid, as does the purity of the copper chassis of your DAP! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #21,347 of 91,357
DACs factor in too (though probably less than amps), as does DSP (if the sound path goes through any sort of DSP or FPGA filtering), as do the onboard components (capacitors, power supplies), and if you drink Sony Kool-aid, as does the purity of the copper chassis of your DAP! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Oh, for sure, but I’ve locked the source off already at that point. The DAP is the constant for me.

Apr 17, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #21,348 of 91,357
Like @efftee said, it’s just about getting a different sound, for me. Stuff like cables can only do so much, and an amp can bring certain changes to imaging and dynamics that you can’t quite get through other means. It’s not a necessity or power-hunger thing.
Totally, me too :) I use daps for this. Dap rolling on an iem can give me a totally different experience and sound. Dedicated amps would be a good alternative but I’m just not a fan of that form factor for portability.

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #21,349 of 91,357
Happy Easter

C262D38D-C0DA-48C9-9A30-A7158094A15F.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 7:29 AM Post #21,350 of 91,357
A miserable Easter Sunday here, cold and raining... which means, chill time with one of my favourite albums to get completely lost in.

An ambient album, with clear Berlin School influences... numerous synths, with vast amounts of layers/details and often reaching deep down into the realms of sub bass. Incredibly relaxing but with enough going on to keep my attention and not drift off. Highly recommended to those of you who enjoy electronic music.

A perfect album to put X to the test...

Apr 17, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #21,351 of 91,357
Totally, me too :) I use daps for this. Dap rolling on an iem can give me a totally different experience and sound. Dedicated amps would be a good alternative but I’m just not a fan of that form factor for portability.
It’s part of the reason I like the N8ii, tube vs SS and P+ vs A, gives me a few nice changes, when I only want to bring one.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #21,353 of 91,357
That's one of the reasons I'm contemplating the C9. The ability to 'change flavour' while improving control, resolution and stage, and importantly keeping the DNA of the Sony sound, is a compelling proposition. Here's hoping reality meets expectation when I eventually get to try it.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #21,354 of 91,357
My top 3
1. Jewel- demoed a lot and definitely the next purchase when i save enough. 😅
2. Indigo- main all rounder
3. Fourte- when i am looking for a different flavor from Indigo
I think I am the one who poisoned you with Aroma Jewel + PW First Times pairing at Canjam SG. Glad to see you on Head-Fi! :)

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #21,355 of 91,357
That's one of the reasons I'm contemplating the C9. The ability to 'change flavour' while improving control, resolution and stage, and importantly keeping the DNA of the Sony sound, is a compelling proposition. Here's hoping reality meets expectation when I eventually get to try it.
TA-ZH1ES no longer under consideration? Certainly not as transportable as the C9 seeing as it requires AC power but I’d imagine the synergy with the Z1R’s would be strong fed from a Sony Walkman player.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:39 AM Post #21,356 of 91,357
TA-ZH1ES no longer under consideration? Certainly not as transportable as the C9 seeing as it requires AC power but I’d imagine the synergy with the Z1R’s would be strong fed from a Sony Walkman player.
Agreed :) Especially since you own the MDR-Z1R as well @gLer . They pair up very well.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:40 AM Post #21,357 of 91,357
I wish there was an easy way to demo a lot of those IEMs here in Germany. VE, 64 Audio, JH and Fir sure I found a source but almost everything else on the list is pretty much unavailable. I don’t think you could get access to them at exhibitions like High-End in Munich.

Edit: I’d love to check out the Jewel, X and the bird.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #21,359 of 91,357
I wish there was an easy way to demo a lot of those IEMs here in Germany. VE, 64 Audio, JH and Fir sure I found a source but almost everything else on the list is pretty much unavailable. I don’t think you could get access to them at exhibitions like High-End in Munich.

Edit: I’d love to check out the Jewel, X and the bird.
Haha and in France it's even worse ... you can't demo anything at all (even Earsonics which is a French brand is not easy to demo).
For FIR I've been proposed to have sent a demo pair from Singapore ...
VE, Custom Art and Elysian are also willing to send demo units
UM / Aroma / Oriolus : not possible

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:51 AM Post #21,360 of 91,357
100% agree synergy is extremely important, hence why I own more than 1 DAP. Also agree that power isn’t everything, especially for IEM’s. I thought you guys were saying that you need large amounts of power for some IEM’s, which I don’t agree with, but you’re not so ignore me 😄
In addition to synergy, some IEMS do need some raw power to drive though. In my collection, the Annihilator is one, and so is the (incoming) DC Ti. I think that’s a big reason why the LP DAPs sound so good; other than a good R2R DAC, they have plenty of juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back