THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 25, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #796 of 1,573
What a great time to have a holiday weekend? Moved some gear around in order to try some new things! This amp is just as good as I remember from canjam socal. Smooth and effortless. Testing out a Modhouse Tungsten Double Magnet and it's weekend fun! On the Atrium closed separation and clarity are better than ever. Now, if I could ever learn to take a good picture...

thumbnail_IMG_2628.jpg
I absolutely love that feeling. Time off and time to spend with your audio equipment. The excitement of brewing the coffee in the morning and going right to it. Anyhow. Congrats friend! What a great system. Gotta love those tubes. Hope you like the Tungsten as well. ✌️

May 25, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #797 of 1,573
The pads (like in most headphones) made a very big difference here. If you've used the ECL-03fm and they didn't work for you, then likely not good for your ears. But if you used the stock pads, you may have missed on that combo. The bass isn't boomy, just crisp and punchy. For me, the combo of the neutral tuned version with those pads is just right.
Yes I got those pads directly from Kennerton. Maybe they just don’t synergize well with DAP’s. I thought they sounded better with a desktop.

May 25, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #798 of 1,573
Yes I got those pads directly from Kennerton. Maybe they just don’t synergize well with DAP’s. I thought they sounded better with a desktop.

They do scale, as many planars do, with some great desktop amps. They don't require a log of power, but they sound quite a lot better with powerful amps.

May 25, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #799 of 1,573
Tremendous thunder storm passing through. Off with the headphone system, on with non AC alternative. Let the Birds fly!

Bird.jpg

May 25, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #800 of 1,573
Been experimenting with some retro Sansui amps lately. Just refreshed this AU-X11 and felt like sharing that there's something special going on here. Expanse in particular became a whole new headphone, stepping above Susvara imo. This amp just added so much impact, I'm stunned. In particular drums sound totally different on this thing, they're crisp as if the skin of the drum is more taught. They just SNAP when hit. My lower end STAX love this amp too, Lambda Pro, Nova Signature, SR-007 all come alive on this thing. For some reason my SR-X9000 doesn't like it though, it simply doesn't get the impact improvement I'm getting on other headphones. Felt like Utopia didn't benefit either, actually I felt my Expanse had more slam and impact on this amp than the Utopia which is the opposite of what most would expect with the Expanse being a heavily damped planar and Utopia with its lightweight dynamic driver.

I have two newer Sansui amps too, Alpha 907MR and Alpha 907 Limited. Susvara really loves those imo. Adds a level of tonal richness I've not heard from Susvara on other amps. I think Expanse likes the AU-X11 better though.

Anyway, just really been enjoying experimenting with this old equipment, they were onto something back then...

Attachments

• 438083521_429605319862508_6603232527381877682_n (1).jpg
    438083521_429605319862508_6603232527381877682_n (1).jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 0
  • GOJDKXAXYAAXejk.jpeg
    GOJDKXAXYAAXejk.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #801 of 1,573
Congrats on the AIC!! And the Imannis you borrowed, did you listen on the VM1-a or a different amp? Will be interested to hear your opinions as you go. I should've been slated to receive mine early june (I think quoted after all of the misfortunate issues), but I anticipate slippage and am not really thinking about when they'll be delivered. But will be glad when I do receive them to hear in my own system.

I got quoted early June too but I ordered mine with silver metalwork rather than the gold so not sure if that will lengthen delivery times.. fingers crossed.

I listened to that particular unit with the vm1a and aic10 off the speaker taps. i felt it really sounded quite different from what I heard at canjam. I thought it would have been the other way around since canjam was show conditions. Will chime in on my own unit and try to compare again with my friend's immanis when the time comes.

May 25, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #802 of 1,573
Been experimenting with some retro Sansui amps lately. Just refreshed this AU-X11 and felt like sharing that there's something special going on here. Expanse in particular became a whole new headphone, stepping above Susvara imo. This amp just added so much impact, I'm stunned. In particular drums sound totally different on this thing, they're crisp as if the skin of the drum is more taught. They just SNAP when hit. My lower end STAX love this amp too, Lambda Pro, Nova Signature, SR-007 all come alive on this thing. For some reason my SR-X9000 doesn't like it though, it simply doesn't get the impact improvement I'm getting on other headphones. Felt like Utopia didn't benefit either, actually I felt my Expanse had more slam and impact on this amp than the Utopia which is the opposite of what most would expect with the Expanse being a heavily damped planar and Utopia with its lightweight dynamic driver.

Anyway, just really been enjoying experimenting with this old equipment, they were onto something back then...
Love it when the insides look as pretty as the outside! :beerchug:

May 25, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #803 of 1,573
Love it when the insides look as pretty as the outside! :beerchug:
Yeah, this thing is beautiful, as is the AU-X1. Sansui really made some pretty stuff back in the day, so much copper, built like a tank.
I'm actually leaving it with the top cover off as you see in the pic, I just love the way it looks inside.

May 25, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #804 of 1,573
Any source saying hifiman will introduce exactly sus 2? I heard they will show new hp but not sure it will be another totl hp or midfi hp
Here are some more details:
  • 8k USD target price
  • Susvara will likely remain (at current price as well)
  • The new headphone will slot above Susvara with a different name (eg Nirvana)

May 25, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #805 of 1,573
Tremendous thunder storm passing through. Off with the headphone system, on with non AC alternative. Let the Birds fly!

Bird.jpg
Those iems are on my 'must try' list for canjam socal. I missed them last year and regret it.

May 25, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #806 of 1,573
What a great time to have a holiday weekend? Moved some gear around in order to try some new things! This amp is just as good as I remember from canjam socal. Smooth and effortless. Testing out a Modhouse Tungsten Double Magnet and it's weekend fun! On the Atrium closed separation and clarity are better than ever. Now, if I could ever learn to take a good picture...

thumbnail_IMG_2628.jpg
Wow! Congratulations, that’s a major investment and definitely an “end game” amplifier. I’d love to hear one someday!

May 25, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #807 of 1,573
  • 8k USD target price

Only 9 more days until we know...

May 25, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #808 of 1,573
@goldwerger

Had to go re-read your review of DS as I was asked to share thoughts (privately) by the owner and I've been having a tough time trying to put something to paper. My HP experience is relatively small, notably so for open backs with LCD-5 being the only main contender and that was a couple of years ago now.

Stage was the first thing I noted and in a positive way for myself, when a headphone, IEM, whatever stretches the image too wide it makes the picture loose cohesion and it's one of my deal breakers for a transducer. If there's any hint of artificial stretch, eg, if the instrument size don't fill the stage with scale to suit the width then it's a big turn off for me. I was quite surprised to find these kept everything in what I'd call a normal balanced width. First stand out.

Second was depth. I love live studio recordings rather than each instrument laid down on it's own and depth really comes into play regarding placement where everyone is in the studio. A lot of people like to get a "live" experience, for me I want to be stood in the studio with the full band all in their own booths / corners and experience the album / track as it was laid down. Some notable bands that had excellent engineers to achieve this being Led Zep, Them Crooked Vultures, Raconteurs etc (first 3 that sprung to mind as stand outs writing this). PF "Money" with vocals / drums / guitar and that sax, awesome. DS pull this off superbly.

Imaging. Hand in hand with the above two points, within the stage every instrument (or piece of (drum kit)) has exceptional placement. Maybe mind tricks / placebo as I'm not quite sure how the recording can be engineered so precisely to pass that downstream but DS pull it off with ease. The other thing that really caught my ear with these for imaging was on PF "On the run". There's a lot of left / right, right/ left wizardry going on with this track as and most will be familiar with it. Sometimes that transition looses the image at the centre point, or there's a step between channels. DS have superb continuity with the fading and also on the trails staging where the sound doesn't seem to get cut off before it fully fades, you get this great centre image height and a lovely conical fade off either side until cut.

Separation. Again, perfect score for me. I can either listen to the sum of the parts or just the parts themselves. Even when things get busy there's not one part of the FR that over shadows another and muddies the waters, and that also ties in with not having exaggerated stage width (everyone always seems to rave about "OMG these are so wide!"), you've got great separation within the confines of a "natural" stage width rather than having to pull everything apart to achieve that. Kudos.

Timbre. I'm still trying to figure this one out as I've been rolling tubes the past few days specifically for Storm but DS have jumped in every so often. Maybe it's just brain adjustment needed going to an open back HP from having used IEM's and closed backs for so long, finding the right tube pairing, assessing in my mind what's tonally correct or not, I'm not feeling settled yet to make a call. Edit: 3-4hrs in with Taks / RCA Red base 5962's on the Envy - Gilmour Live in Gdansk, nothing better than a good live recording to test somethings ability on timbre vs engineered / tweaked stuff. DS absolutely rocking it. Just made my wife sit down to listen to the start of Shine On, she listened to all 12 minutes of it and then all 9 minutes of comfortably Numb then I had to point out her wine glass was empty so I could get them back on my head. Perspective, even with artists she actually listens to, she usually doesn't last a full track on my rig.

Resolution. Again, really good. Such an honest headphone in most regards IMO and what you feed them is what you get. There's maybe a "slight" softness to note's but I could easily put that down to the generic factory produced cable that's been supplied with them or just a by product of the system currently being used.

Tonality. This is probably the make or break for most. I know some have said there's a slight warmth to them but for me I'm finding that hard to judge as I've got no real benchmark to go on and tubes make a big difference on that front but I'll pin my colours to the mast and say they very much er on the side of neutral. That might change as my HP experience grows.

That's about as much as I've got on these, I'd say to sum them up, they're a very "honest" headphone with TOTL technical ability. There's no standout area to my ears, they've got great balance from top to bottom with the technical ability to back them up. Not sure if I'd go so far to say they're a reference set but I don't think they'd be too far off the mark at their price point. Again, want to highlight my lack of experience with HP's relative to a reference statement but I'd say for the money you really couldn't go far wrong unless you need a HP that accentuates a specific area whether that be within tonality or technical presentation.

Side note:

Build quality is really nice, only nit picky criticism there is the coating texture on the headband. Very comfortable, adjustment is secure (they stay in place / no slipping (are these a ZMF design??)), no crazy clamping, weighty but 4hrs later still quite happy with them on my head.

Cable isn't the one that comes with DS, looks like factory production 3.5mm from whatever major manufacturer. Definitely want to hear these again with Skedras cable.

All listening done with Antipodes K50 G4, Jorma AES, Bricasti M21 set to Ladder / Minimum phase / -14dB, Jorma Statement, Feliks Audio Envy on Mid gain / 11 o'clock running Takatsuki 300B's & RCA Red Base (Eagle) 5692's.

I'll be ordering my own pair on the next drop and giving Seb a shout for a Goldwerger spec cable. :wink:

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #809 of 1,573
That's about as much as I've got on these, I'd say to sum them up, they're a very "honest" headphone with TOTL technical ability.

That’s a wonderful write up, very well said! Thanks for sharing!!! 🙏

All listening done with Antipodes K50 G4, Jorma AES, Bricasti M21 set to Ladder / Minimum phase / -14dB, Jorma Statement, Feliks Audio Envy on Mid gain / 11 o'clock running Takatsuki 300B's & RCA Red Base (Eagle) 5692's.

Wonderful chain you got. I have the Bricasti M3 and have wondered what a step up to the M21 may be like.

I'll be ordering my own pair on the next drop and giving Seb a shout for a Goldwerger spec cable. :wink:

Be warned, it’s a beast.. but it’s a lovely on 😁

May 26, 2024 at 1:24 AM Post #810 of 1,573
  • 8k USD target price
The regular Susvara is already pretty dear at its MSRP. Going for $8K is insane IMO, but I’m sure some will pay it.

Then again maybe I’m just not sold on the Hifiman sound. I had the chance recently to hear the HE1000 Stealth on a variety of amps and the Susvara on the DCS Lina stack and neither particularly blew me away.

The LCD-5 is still better for pure technicalities and stock tuning for my ears, and the HE6se is more fun and by far the best bang-for-the-buck and worth-it headphone in the Hifiman lineup. You just have to ditch the abominations that see the Pali Pads and get the round velour pads instead (+1000 comfort plus the HE6se, like the Abyss 1266 need an imperfect seal for god-level bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back