THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 24, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #781 of 1,577
hope u get a well run in demo unit. I had a listen to my friend's brand new unit and I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed. something was off with the centre imaging, and seemed like it lacked the warmth and density and low end that I heard at canjam. spoke to the local dealer about it and he mentioned Aleks recommends a 100 hr running in time.

also.. I don't have the susvara anymore (the one I heard was also my friend's) but was really contemplating buying one again just to pair with the riviera. probably will wait a bit and see how the new hifiman flagship reviews.

yes whatever I'd get would be a well run demo unit but very good to know that, thx!

Susvara used can be had at relatively good prices these days, likely low risk to catch and release in case somehting else comes up; definitely worth having if the AIC is en route. either way, they scale almost all headphones amazingly. I'm now with the Caldera Closed and just love this combo; the bass and sounstage the AIC gets from the CC is incredible. Also, remember that tube rolling on this can make quite a bit of impact (with a single 12au7 tube roll, a big plus). On the two ends, try the Mullard M8136 for a lush and texture presentation (my preferred roll), and Telefunken G37R for a more analytical presentation (may user's preferred roll).

May 25, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #782 of 1,577
I think Trevor at Norne will make adapters of the "pigtail" variety, but not sure about making the super mini adapters. Like @Whazzzup, I use the mini's from DHC, but they are expensive and take forever to get. Really high quality though!

IMG_2884.jpg
Trevor has what he terms "hypershort" adapters which may meet your needs.,

May 25, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #783 of 1,577
Trevor is the man. One of the best guys in the whole industry.

May 25, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #784 of 1,577
Greetings folks! Today my Woo Audio WA33 amplifier will be delivered and I shall post pictures and initial impressions later today. In the meantime, I am now able to entertain Dan Clark Audio headphones, which I've previously dismissed due to their amping requirements. However, I think the WA33 will fit the bill nicely for his headphones.

I am now considering DCA headphones to complement the Abyss 1266 TC. I am curious about the Stealth as Rob Watts said it represents spatial positioning most accurately compared to other headphones he's tried. To this end, Rob Watts uses DCA Stealth to help develop his DACs and also for personal listening. During CanJam NYC, I was able to demo the E3 which has an excellent tuning. More engaging than from what I remember from the Stealth and Expanse.

I ask fellow headphone enthusiasts, what do you think of Dan Clark Audio headphones, and which one would you recommend with a tube amp such as the WA33?

I haven't been able to demo the E3, but have heard excellent things about it.

In regards to the stealth and expanse, I was not a fan of the stealth. I found it completely lacking in engagement, which is unfortunately something that I've found in DCA tuning for quite a while. The expanse was much improved IMHO, but still not to the level where I'd buy it over other TOTL from zmf or hifiman. Comfort is top notch, and they look lovely, but...dull. I would like to give some of his gear a try on the new amp (pics coming tomorrow) but I've tried the aeon 2 on the Bigger Ben and the results were the same.

Now for the hot take. Without having tried the E3, if I had my choice of DCA headphones right now, I'd take the used Alpha Prime for sale in the forums.

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #785 of 1,577
Oh you should. My woo scales hd800S well and with stage, and Edm is nice. Course I’m sure there’s lots of choices.
Agreed. I use the original HD 800 even just on the WA22 is a very nice synergy, combination. Of course. I do use good tubes in the WA22. 😎

May 25, 2024 at 11:38 AM Post #786 of 1,577
What a great time to have a holiday weekend? Moved some gear around in order to try some new things! This amp is just as good as I remember from canjam socal. Smooth and effortless. Testing out a Modhouse Tungsten Double Magnet and it's weekend fun! On the Atrium closed separation and clarity are better than ever. Now, if I could ever learn to take a good picture...

thumbnail_IMG_2628.jpg

May 25, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #787 of 1,577
executive stereo in north york refused my online order, the reason given, its my first order with them. Has this ever happened to anyone here? the order was accepted on line, there's nothing on the site saying all first time online buyers, dont bother, unless you buy in store. So emailed and called ed at executive, said what gives? any rate order is cxld. who offered online sales, gets a legit order, then doesn't want to sell?
any rate not upset, just weird. There's other retail in canada offering nordost QNET switch like winnipeg. cool off for a while and try buying online again.

anyone else been refused to fulfill online order?

May 25, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #788 of 1,577
What a great time to have a holiday weekend? Moved some gear around in order to try some new things! This amp is just as good as I remember from canjam socal. Smooth and effortless. Testing out a Modhouse Tungsten Double Magnet and it's weekend fun! On the Atrium closed separation and clarity are better than ever. Now, if I could ever learn to take a good picture...

Wow, congrats buddy. The Nautilus (right?) is an amazing amp!

First time I heard it was CanJam NYC 2022 with the VC, and it blew my mind; best I’ve heard that headphone. Last year at CanJam Chicago, Mimic head the Nautilus Rev 2 and I was demoing the (then prototype) Tungsten, Dk8 Pro, and Susvara and they were all phenomenal. I recall @HiFiHawaii808 and I sat put at that desk for about 2 hours as we were entranced.

I’ve always thought a Nautilus or Red October is something I’d want to own one day. But they are sooo big, 3 other amps will have to make way for one; I’ve not worked myself to get there. Yet 😉

Last edited:
May 25, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #789 of 1,577
hope u get a well run in demo unit. I had a listen to my friend's brand new unit and I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed. something was off with the centre imaging, and seemed like it lacked the warmth and density and low end that I heard at canjam. spoke to the local dealer about it and he mentioned Aleks recommends a 100 hr running in time.

also.. I don't have the susvara anymore (the one I heard was also my friend's) but was really contemplating buying one again just to pair with the riviera. probably will wait a bit and see how the new hifiman flagship reviews.

Congrats on the AIC!! And the Imannis you borrowed, did you listen on the VM1-a or a different amp? Will be interested to hear your opinions as you go. I should've been slated to receive mine early june (I think quoted after all of the misfortunate issues), but I anticipate slippage and am not really thinking about when they'll be delivered. But will be glad when I do receive them to hear in my own system.

May 25, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #790 of 1,577
Hi everyone,

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

We are finally kicking off our very first Watercooler Headphone Edition Poll ‼️

The purpose is to have some fun together, gauging and sharing what everyone is currently interested in or excited about 😊

Please enter your replies here: https://forms.gle/LUbE8rM6zxgq9XZL8

I will collect all answers over the coming days and share back your polls results here in the thread!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Eyal

May 25, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #791 of 1,577
Wow, congrats buddy. The Nautilus (right?) is an amazing amp!

First time I heard it was CanJam NYC 2022 with the VC, and it blew my mind; best I’ve heard that headphone. Last year at CanJam Chicago, Mimic head the Nautilus Rev 2 and I was demoing the (then prototype) Tungsten, Dk8 Pro, and Susvara and they were all phenomenal. I recall @HiFiHawaii808 and I sat put at that desk for about 2 hours as we were entranced.

I’ve always thought a Nautilus or Red October is something I’d want to own one day. But they are sooo big, 3 other amps will have to make way for one; I’ve not worked myself to get there. Yet 😉
Indeed, the Nautilus. It is very long, but not so deep. Basically just a little bigger in length than the aegis, but actually fits just as well on the shelf as the Aegis did. I really need to get a better audio rack/shelf; the one i'm using is a converted bookshelf, and is pretty terrible.

Thanks for setting up the poll, I completed it! I've been spending the morning trying out the Tungsten double magnet and the Atrium closed with the Nautilus. I've been trying with and without Matrix Mini I Pro4 as a preamp. I need to recoup some more cost of acquiring this amp, so the Tungsten may be a catch and release.

May 25, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #792 of 1,577
I really need to get a better audio rack/shelf

I highly recommend Solidsteel. Their products are beautiful and really well made (though a bit pricy; I have the Hyperskpike HY-L and love it; that model comes in multiple width and heigh options. There are also other lower cost options from this brand that are just as great).

Thanks for setting up the poll, I completed it!

AWESOME!

I've been spending the morning trying out the Tungsten double magnet

By chance, this is what I'm now listening to. Give them a bit of time as your new amp may make them shine..

1716666629476.png

I need to recoup some more cost of acquiring this amp, so the Tungsten may be a catch and release.

Howevever, iof you do let them go, they will be snatched in <60 seconds (current wait time is about 6 months). That task will be very easy... :wink:

May 25, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #793 of 1,577
I have the Kennerton Rognir planars neutral version,with ECL-03M pads (walnut wood) and I agree that less dampened would be a nice way to describe them. They are clear sounding, snappy, and crisp in their presentation. Fun headphones 😊

1716588652569.png
I sold mine because I didn’t get much bass out of it. Maybe because I drove it with a DAP although a powerful DAP. Needed a closed back for my DAP but the Rognir didn’t work out for me.

May 25, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #794 of 1,577
I sold mine because I didn’t get much bass out of it. Maybe because I drove it with a DAP although a powerful DAP. Needed a closed back for my DAP but the Rognir didn’t work out for me.

The pads (like in most headphones) made a very big difference here. If you've used the ECL-03fm and they didn't work for you, then likely not good for your ears. But if you used the stock pads, you may have missed on that combo. The bass isn't boomy, just crisp and punchy. For me, the combo of the neutral tuned version with those pads is just right.

May 25, 2024 at 5:46 PM Post #795 of 1,577
Hi everyone,

I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

We are finally kicking off our very first Watercooler Headphone Edition Poll ‼️

The purpose is to have some fun together, gauging and sharing what everyone is currently interested in or excited about 😊

Please enter your replies here: https://forms.gle/LUbE8rM6zxgq9XZL8

I will collect all answers over the coming days and share back your polls results here in the thread!

:beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Eyal
Completed poll!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back