THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 20, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #676 of 1,090
The bass slam is truly sky cracking.
So far I like these level settings with the LOKI mini+.

Given your EQ setting to max sub-bass, you may want to check the ZMF Atrium Closed - the best sub-bass and low bass of any headphones I have (they also excel in many other regards).

May 20, 2024 at 6:20 PM Post #677 of 1,090
Currently chilling with Elite and a glass of remy martin here. Definitely a superb headphone for pure enjoyment, liquid smooth with "addictive" sweet presentation.

This will be my very first time attend Canjam outside Singapore. Hopefully they truly release the Susvara successor there!
Susvara successor?!? Interesting! I hope it leads to a nice price drop from all the existing susvara owners selling, lol!

@Zachik already beat me to this thought. I’m late again!

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #678 of 1,090
Given your EQ setting to max sub-bass, you may want to check the ZMF Atrium Closed - the best sub-bass and low bass of any headphones I have (they also excel in many other regards).
Yeah It is about 90% on the dial. 🥰, but I find it is quite necessary. The stock tuning on the XC needs a lot of help if you will. Most aspects of the bass are completely non existent. The Loki fixes that very very well because it is a broadband equalizer.
And thank you so much for your recommendation. I’ve yet to try the ZMF Atrium closed.
The problem living in Canada with ZMF is that there are no dealers. I have no way of auditioning Zach’s headphones. It would just have to be a case where by I go to the ZMF website and click on the checkout button while taking that massive leap of faith that the headphones will be awesome. 🤣

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #679 of 1,090
Yeah It is about 90% on the dial. 🥰, but I find it is quite necessary. The stock tuning on the XC needs a lot of help if you will. Most aspects of the bass are completely non existent. The Loki fixes that very very well.
And thank you so much for your recommendation. I’ve yet to try the ZMF Atrium closed.
The problem living in Canada with ZMF is that there are no dealers. I have no way of auditioning Zach’s headphones. It would just have to be a case where by I go to the ZMF website and click on the checkout button while taking that massive leap of faith that the headphones will be awesome. 🤣

well, we don't have dealers in the US either. My first ZMF leap of faith ended with a very soft and succesful landing, and lots of repeat purchases since. The good news is that their headphones are so beloved by the communtiy, in the unlikely case you didn't like them, they would be very easy to sell.

best of all (for this, and in general), come to a CanJam sometime... NYC, SoCal, Dallas.. not too far :wink:

May 20, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #680 of 1,090
I wonder if that means Susvara OG dropping to $3,000? :wink:
That means used Susvara at $2,000? Hmmm..... :thinking:
Somehow I am doubting this. However, the fact that I own one, and its value diminishing quicker than normal would jive with my prowess in the Stock Market, you might just be in luck. 😄

May 20, 2024 at 8:28 PM Post #681 of 1,090
Somehow I am doubting this. However, the fact that I own one, and its value diminishing quicker than normal would jive with my prowess in the Stock Market, you might just be in luck. 😄
I was thinking the same thing. It's........sell low and buy high.........right? :beyersmile:

May 20, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #682 of 1,090
May 20, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #683 of 1,090
Agreed. The Atrium Closed is amazing.
Once upon a time, I tinkered with EQ. But, I found that I usually desired a modest bass shelf.
For some odd reason, EQ hasn't been touched at all lately... >:)

1716254182277.jpeg

May 20, 2024 at 10:26 PM Post #684 of 1,090
I hop off the forums for 3 days and now there's a Susvara mk2 rumor going around? Just as I'm drowning myself in Immanis FOMO? :laughing:

If HiFiman managed to add a more natural decay (similar to a TOTL dynamic or even magnetostatic driver such as in the Rhap3) to offset the planar timbre while somehow retaining all the benefits of the planar speed, airiness and technicalities, then take my money!! But there are no perfects in this hobby, and I am sure tradeoffs would exist one way or another by trying to incorporate elements from both/multiple drivers. For example, I know the Caldera mimics some DD-like traits, but it does come at cost of effortlessness across the frequency range.

And sure, maybe just a touch more bass and dynamics. Curious what they come up with (if the rumors are correct).

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #685 of 1,090
I wish sus 2 will be a closed back version of og sus so we can still enjoy in some noisy environment .Og is the best open back ever and no need to upgrade anything. Upgrade to a High end amp and dac will make it better and better.
the last time hifiman did a closed back (aurdivana) it wasn't received very well. goes for the other closed backs from them as well (Sundara closed, R9).

i think it's best to wait a little longer, or just try something else completely.

May 21, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #687 of 1,090
Yep, estats are well-known to lack bass impact relative to planars, although the Warwick Acoustics offerings and Sennheiser HE-1 do bridge the gap to varying degrees. Enter the new Raal 1995 cans, which combine estat resolution with bass on par with the best planars... per early user reports, anyway. My limited audition at CanJam NYC seemed to corroborate that assessment, but I'm hoping to get a home trial in the near future.
I heard both the Immanis and Aperio at Word of Headphones and IMHO the Aperio had better bass impact. At least within the context of the noisy surroundings and the equipment available there.

May 21, 2024 at 5:40 AM Post #688 of 1,090
well, we don't have dealers in the US either. My first ZMF leap of faith ended with a very soft and succesful landing, and lots of repeat purchases since. The good news is that their headphones are so beloved by the communtiy, in the unlikely case you didn't like them, they would be very easy to sell.

best of all (for this, and in general), come to a CanJam sometime... NYC, SoCal, Dallas.. not too far :wink:
New York City CanJam would be highly doable. I’d really like to go next year and of course I know Zach really takes the time to set up some great booths. His show areas/rooms look amazing.
I’m really glad to hear that the chances you’ve taken with ZMF have been successful. Buying blind can be a bit unsettling. Every headphone I’ve ever bought I’ve been able to try it first. Amplifiers and DACS I’ve bought blind, but never a headphone. In any case and taking to your point, the community response to ZMF headphones really has been unbelievably positive. If I were to buy blind from any headphone company I think ZMF would be first on my list. 😉

May 21, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #689 of 1,090
No way one would ever go wrong blind buying an Atrium (Open with Caldera pads or Closed with Suede)

May 21, 2024 at 8:57 AM Post #690 of 1,090
Well, in my case, all the headphones I bought, were without checking them out first. Clear was good, than Denon AH D9200 was very good and now is the ZMF turn. Right now I am waiting for the Auteur Classic LTD 2024 - so I hope this will beat the Denon . Otherwise, I will go for the Hifiman HE1000V2 stealth.
Time will show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back