THE WATERCOOLER HEADPHONE EDITION – Headphones, Amps, DACs, and desktop/home audio related – a freewheeling discussion of gear, impressions, music, and musings.
May 13, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #242 of 896
No power conditioning to me. They have a negative effect on my system UNLESS you have lots of ac noise and voltage variation to your system and with that you’d have to invest A LOT to make your system sound as good as the one from a clean and stable power source without conditioning

May 13, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #243 of 896
are u guys using power conditioner/ filter ? im not sure how many percent will it improve my setup but any good brand recommend?, i want to try and see if any differences with and without. For now i just plug direct to wall power outlet.
I use a lower-end (but quite effective) Furman conditioner. It has definitely helped lower the noise floor in my system. I’d say it’s a 5-10 percent benefit AT MOST though. Definitely a late/stage investment in my view.

Of the brands I aspire to potentially upgrade to someday, the IsoTek Aquarius and Shunyata Hydra units look like standout options.

May 13, 2024 at 1:38 PM Post #244 of 896
are u guys using power conditioner/ filter ? im not sure how many percent will it improve my setup but any good brand recommend?, i want to try and see if any differences with and without. For now i just plug direct to wall power outlet.
I've tried the Decware Zen line conditioner and the PS Audio PowerPlant. Do you suspect you have a lot of noise on your line? So far my experience has been that is the last thing I'd concern myself in the chain. I'm currently using the PowerPlant because the Zen didn't work with my HA-300mk II. The PowerPlant is a regenerator. The main advantage to me is that there is something between my expensive amps and a power surge. It is really hard to do A/B testing between the wall and the conditioners because you have to unplug and replug. I don't trust my memory enough to say for certain there is big enough difference. If you have noise on your line, which I do, the best thing to do is run a dedicated line from that outlet to the electric panel. This didn't fully solve my power/grounding issues though. I will say I have noticed discernible differences between power cables...unfortunately. I'm using some AudioQuest NRG-Z3 cables at the moment. I tested some "audiophile" ones off amazon but they mostly imparted a really hifi flavor I wasn't into. The AudioQuest ones had nice dynamic range and warmth. I know how dumb this sounds talking about cables. I really didn't want to believe in it. Maybe my mind is just weak.

May 13, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #245 of 896
I've tried the Decware Zen line conditioner and the PS Audio PowerPlant. Do you suspect you have a lot of noise on your line? So far my experience has been that is the last thing I'd concern myself in the chain. I'm currently using the PowerPlant because the Zen didn't work with my HA-300mk II. The PowerPlant is a regenerator. The main advantage to me is that there is something between my expensive amps and a power surge. It is really hard to do A/B testing between the wall and the conditioners because you have to unplug and replug. I don't trust my memory enough to say for certain there is big enough difference. If you have noise on your line, which I do, the best thing to do is run a dedicated line from that outlet to the electric panel. This didn't fully solve my power/grounding issues though. I will say I have noticed discernible differences between power cables...unfortunately. I'm using some AudioQuest NRG-Z3 cables at the moment. I tested some "audiophile" ones off amazon but they mostly imparted a really hifi flavor I wasn't into. The AudioQuest ones had nice dynamic range and warmth. I know how dumb this sounds talking about cables. I really didn't want to believe in it. Maybe my mind is just weak.
Oh I'll add that a brand that gets a lot of love in my research is Puritan. I wanted to try that but sprung for the Decware one instead because I'm a fan of Decware. I still have both the PowerPlant and Decware here but I was going to send the Decware back in because my HA-300 just drew too much power for it. That amp is a bit of a power hungry beast. I need to test the Decware with the Aegis before I commit to sending it back perhaps.

May 13, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #246 of 896

I am using a PS Audio Regenerator. When I switched from the Audioquest Niagara 1200 to the PP3, noise floor for the WA23 went down. General electrical/mechanical noise/hum reduction was quite apparent. So that’s to say my power from the wall is pretty noisy where a regenerator is actually beneficial.

May 13, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #247 of 896
I am using a PS Audio Regenerator. When I switched from the Audioquest Niagara 1200 to the PP3, noise floor for the WA23 went down. General electrical/mechanical noise/hum reduction was quite apparent. So that’s to say my power from the wall is pretty noisy where a regenerator is actually beneficial.

Yep. This supports my opinion that you have to invest A LOT to get better filtering/regen performance, and with super clean power grind, the differences between no conditioning and a very good regen would be less than when coming from a dirtier source

May 13, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #248 of 896
Puritan PSM136/156 is my rec for power conditioners. Great company, with many great reviews.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 2:00 PM Post #249 of 896
Put a PSM156 in a couple of weeks ago, thought it was an improvement (unlike fuses) but will pull it out in a week or two and reassess. I'll just swap a power chord onto a quality 4 gang block one unit at a time (server / dac / amp). I find reverse engineering stuff like this works a charm to remove any placebo. Will report back!

May 13, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #250 of 896
Oh boy-this rabbithole is going to hurt my wallet even more, ain't it. Thanks for creating @goldwerger !
+1 similar to above statements. I noticed a blacker background using a Niagara1200 vs wall outlet with boost to overall technicalities. But I live in an older building where the electricity is most definitely "dirty". I am interested in trying out the PSM Puritan 156 as I've heard good things about it compared to Niagara1200, but am also interested in a new TOTL DAC and expensive tubes :joy:. Gotta compromise somewhere.

I would strongly recommend trying a demo (or one with a return policy) of a well-touted power regenerator or conditioner (Puritan PSM156, Niagara1200/3000, PS Audio PP3, Shunyata) and just see if it helps enhance your system or not. The power surge protection feature on many of them is also great for peace of mind IMO.

May 13, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #251 of 896
A different method to tackle a problem. I admittedly did not come up with this idea on my own, rather @zach915m was the one who suggested I look into this solution.

A very long story short, I had my PSAudio Dectet looking like a Tesla coil, sparks shooting this way and that, which in turn melted my FTA Callisto USB cable, fried my Roon core and all other sorts of audiophile nightmare fuel.

106531-b7741aae69314edfe310d166cd77b97d.jpg

Anyways, for the price of a decent power conditioner, I picked up a LIPO battery system. The one I have has four 20 amp AC sockets. I can run my entire setup for twenty hours before it needs a re-charge, which only takes about 90 minutes to go from 0-100%. It also accommodates large, aftermarket audiophile grade power cables.

It is totally silent in operation and produces perfect sine waves. The SQ increase is quite noticeable, especially in clarity and staging. One never realizes how dirty the electricity coming from the wall is until you can a/b with a clean solution. No more surges to worry about and no more hours of the day when your gear sounds the best.

For more info check out here , an article from 'Enjoy The Music' about using batteries for running audio gear.

20240513_134858.jpg

For the record, PSAudio didn't even bother to assist or inquire about damages. Final Touch Audio replaced my USB cable free of charge (highly recommended).

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #252 of 896
A different method to tackle a problem. I admittedly did not come up with this idea on my own, rather @zach915m was the one who suggested I look into this solution.

A very long story short, I had my PSAudio Dectet looking like a Tesla coil, sparks shooting this way and that, which in turn melted my FTA Callisto USB cable, fried my Roon core and all other sorts of audiophile nightmare fuel.

106531-b7741aae69314edfe310d166cd77b97d.jpg

Anyways, for the price of a decent power conditioner, I picked up a LIPO battery system. The one I got has four 20 amp AC sockets. I can run my entire setup for twenty hours before it needs a re-charge, which only takes about 90 minutes to go from 0-100%.

It is totally silent in operation and produces perfect sine waves. The SQ increase is quite noticeable, especially in clarity and staging. One never realizes how dirty the electricity coming from the wall is until you can a/b with a silent and clean solution.

For more info check out here

20240513_134858.jpg

For the record, PSAudio didn't even bother to assist or inquire about damages. Final Touch Audio replaced my USB cable free of charge (highly recommended).
Does that not come when th it's own dangers being LiPo?

May 13, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #253 of 896
Does that not come when th it's own dangers being LiPo?
AFAIK it's advisable not to leave it charging unattended, which I do not. Other than that I just use common sense when using it and thus far, knock on wood, I haven't had any issues.

May 13, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #254 of 896
Of the brands I aspire to potentially upgrade to someday, the IsoTek Aquarius and Shunyata Hydra units look like standout options.
Oh I'll add that a brand that gets a lot of love in my research is Puritan.

I use the IsoTek EVO3 Aquarius primarily and Transparent PowerBank 6 for some extra components. This Aquarius works great for me.

I know @Frankie D just got a Puritan.

for the price of a decent power conditioner, I picked up a LIPO battery system.

This is such a creative idea. Makes so much sense when I thinks about it..

I would strongly recommend trying a demo (or one with a return policy) of a well-touted power regenerator or conditioner (Puritan PSM156, Niagara1200/3000, PS Audio PP3, Shunyata) and just see if it helps enhance your system or not.

That's exactly what I was going to say.. completely agree.

Power conditioners are one of the hardest things to review, since their specific performance in any specific apartment or house will vary. The only real way to know is to try..

The power surge protection feature on many of them is also great for peace of mind IMO.

👍

I will say I have noticed discernible differences between power cables

Me too.
Power cables are one of the least discussed topics in headphones, but in 2-channel systems they are regularly optimized. I've found that, like everything else, depending on the quality of other compoents, this component can become the weakest link at some point and benefit from upgrade. Similarly, the better the components used, the more notable this delta becomes. With the AIC10, I've rolled a few power cables and those changes were notable for me (I've settled on Nordost Heimdall 2 with it, which interestingly was my least favorite cable with all other amps until that point; showing that synergy is everthing and, sometimes, the only way to know is to just try and see what works and what doesn't).

Oh boy-this rabbithole is going to hurt my wallet even more, ain't it. Thanks for creating @goldwerger !

Most welcome 😁

and.. welcome to the thread, delighted to have you!

May 13, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #255 of 896
Just picked up one of these little toys to pay with, Little Bear B-4X balanced portable tube amplifier. Rolled some MUSES02 op-amps that I had laying around into it.

IMG_2806.jpeg

Listened last night using my new cans, a pair of Monolith M1070C closed back planar magnetic headphones. Quite nice synergy! Feeding with a HiBy R6 Pro II DAP (with a PEQ curve specific to the M1070C) via a Cayin RU7 1-bit ladder DAC.

Fun setup, surprisingly decent imaging, quite fast sound. Really enjoying this setup. Also tried out my Tangzu Zetian Wu HeyDay Edition IEMs (also with its own PEQ curve) with the B-4X and was impressed at the nice black background/lack of noise.

What a time to be an audiophile!

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back