The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #3,421 of 3,548
"I really liked this for my main setups so I decided to get another one just for my small bedside station"
This reminds me of a conversation I had with somebody years ago (I think it was Tyll). He sold 3 of the original Sennheiser Orpheus combos to the same buyer. The third was for his nightstand.

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:50 PM Post #3,422 of 3,548
This reminds me of a conversation I had with somebody years ago (I think it was Tyll). He sold 3 of the original Sennheiser Orpheus combos to the same buyer. The third was for his nightstand.
I seem to recall hearing that story from someone too. You're probably right.

Apr 10, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #3,423 of 3,548
Hmm, if you bought all 10, I’m not feeling so good about the one I paid for with PayPal F&F. But it was such a good deal.
That's a sad story. Please give us the address of the debtor's prison where you'll be staying for an indeterminate period.

FWIW we all have to be careful w/Paypal's F&F feature, because typical of them, Paypal neglected to inform users there are now actually two different F&F options available now (and the same acronym is still used for both):

1. Friends & Family option: to send money to actual family or friends;

2. Fools & F-Ups option: to send money to arrogant sellers who will only take F&F payments for their $85,000 pair of Magico speakers in the mistaken belief they'll owe the IRS taxes if G&S is used, tho they bought the speakers for $105,000 & thus have no profit to declare.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #3,424 of 3,548
Didn’t jive with my den hence sold it off in record time

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:07 PM Post #3,425 of 3,548
That's a sad story. Please give us the address of the debtor's prison where you'll be staying for an indeterminate period.

FWIW we all have to be careful w/Paypal's F&F feature, because typical of them, Paypal neglected to inform users there are now actually two different F&F options available now (and the same acronym is still used for both):

1. Friends & Family option: to send money to actual family or friends;

2. Fools & F-Ups option: to send money to arrogant sellers who will only take F&F payments for their $85,000 pair of Magico speakers in the mistaken belief they'll owe the IRS taxes if G&S is used, tho they bought the speakers for $105,000 & thus have no profit to declare.
No profit to declare, but income (unless I'm misunderstanding the below):
From PayPal:
"When you’re paid for goods and services, the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers this reportable income.
Once you receive $600 in payments for goods and services within a calendar year, tax laws require us to withhold 24% of such payments when you have not confirmed your taxpayer status by either providing your US tax ID or completing a Certificate of Foreign Status. This 24% is sent to the IRS as backup withholding for any potential income tax due on those payments."

Apr 10, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #3,426 of 3,548
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #3,427 of 3,548
No profit to declare, but income (unless I'm misunderstanding the below):
From PayPal:
"When you’re paid for goods and services, the US Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers this reportable income.
Once you receive $600 in payments for goods and services within a calendar year, tax laws require us to withhold 24% of such payments when you have not confirmed your taxpayer status by either providing your US tax ID or completing a Certificate of Foreign Status. This 24% is sent to the IRS as backup withholding for any potential income tax due on those payments."
True, it is initially considered income. But when filing for taxes in the subject year, one need only show documentation that they paid less for that sold item, than they realized in proceeds from the sale. That "income" is thus erased from IRS calculations. And depending on the type of business status the seller has, they may or may not be able to write off the difference as a loss.

I obtained the above from my own relatively recent reading about this from multiple sources, including Paypal, IRS, and financial writers/experts. Can't cite chapter and verse because I didn't bookmark, pdf and save the sources (wish I had).

BTW, I've also found from questioning sellers who demand on F&F, that a goodly percentage of them don't wish to come to the IRS' attention at all, for any reason--regardless of whether they profit or lose on any given sale. This a whole other issue having to do with personal psychology, financial paranoia, and perhaps an admission that their finances are not above suspicion. I walk away from sellers like this, as there's no reasoning with them.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #3,428 of 3,548
I just don't like paying PayPal fees, and their fee structure is so opaque. It would be great if they let you do G&S transaction with an amount and who pays fees. That way you see the total before sending, or having to make multiple transactions because the seller only knows what fees are pulled out after they receive the money. I have yet to successfully calculate fees as either a buyer or seller. I've made additional F&F payments to cover fees and I've sent partial refunds F&F when I inadvertently requested to much. Such an easy fix to implement.

I'm not worried about the reporting, because I know I won't owe anything, but I don't want to have to do the additional paperwork and record keeping. If I could claim the loss by saying it's a business then it might be worth my time. Bureaucracy sucks.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #3,429 of 3,548
I just don't like paying PayPal fees, and their fee structure is so opaque. It would be great if they let you do G&S transaction with an amount and who pays fees. That way you see the total before sending, or having to make multiple transactions because the seller only knows what fees are pulled out after they receive the money. I have yet to successfully calculate fees as either a buyer or seller. I've made additional F&F payments to cover fees and I've sent partial refunds F&F when I inadvertently requested to much. Such an easy fix to implement.

I'm not worried about the reporting, because I know I won't owe anything, but I don't want to have to do the additional paperwork and record keeping. If I could claim the loss by saying it's a business then it might be worth my time. Bureaucracy sucks.
The right way to do it, at least IMO, is to just advertise your price as whatever it is and set it such that you can cover the G&S fees yourself out of the proceeds.

If I’m looking at two ads and one says the price includes all PayPal fees and another says plus 3.5% fees, I’m going to go with the first one every time even if the total is higher, because I value transparency and I think showing one price and then putting “plus PayPal fees” in the text of the listing is a little shady.

Apr 18, 2024 at 4:55 AM Post #3,430 of 3,548
Just rolled in some NOS RFT and Sylvania tubes in the Aegis. I'm pretty happy so far, but still many headphones to test it with

WhatsApp Image 2024-04-18 at 10.54.01_a34748e6.jpg

Apr 18, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #3,431 of 3,548
Just rolled in some NOS RFT and Sylvania tubes in the Aegis. I'm pretty happy so far, but still many headphones to test it with

Well, thanks for doing this demanding and exhausting work for the sake of the community. :)

Apr 18, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #3,432 of 3,548

Nice! That's a good neutral tube combo to start with.

Apr 18, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #3,433 of 3,548
TOTL Listening away from home. Travelling abroad this week and decided to bring diablo idsd (1st gen) with the AC.

Even with the Caldera suede pads, the diablo provided decent soundstage and reasonable amount of bass heft and detail. Great clarity with mids and treble. Using the moon audio blue dragon for cables.

Can't recommend this pairing enough for an on-the-go system. At max gain, balanced, the idsd can power the AC for 3-5 hrs before being drained.. and this is a unit that's 3 years old! Runs abit hot though.

Attachments

• 20240418_231424.jpg
    20240418_231424.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 18, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #3,434 of 3,548
TOTL Listening away from home. Travelling abroad this week and decided to bring diablo idsd (1st gen) with the AC.

Even with the Caldera suede pads, the diablo provided decent soundstage and reasonable amount of bass heft and detail. Great clarity with mids and treble. Using the moon audio blue dragon for cables.

Can't recommend this pairing enough for an on-the-go system. At max gain, balanced, the idsd can power the AC for 3-5 hrs before being drained.. and this is a unit that's 3 years old! Runs abit hot though.

Pikachu sticker increases power output and dynamic range btw :wink:

Apr 19, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #3,435 of 3,548
When the two 'TRS' toggle switches are set to 'IEC' and to '0dB', the output impedance of
IMG_7856.jpeg
DNA Sonett 2 is 120 ohms. Perfect for all dynamic-driver ZMFs !! Between that and the tube configuration (Brimar CV1863 KB/FE, pair EH 6H30p gold pin), 🤪👍.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back