The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 24, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #2,326 of 3,548
Yeah, I checked Valves N More's website and they seem to have some nice options.

I haven't tried the Philips tallbottles in mind, but those would probably work great. I've tried various Philips/Amperex 12au7s and those are my current go to in my 6A (although it may be different for you since your amp uses 6V6 tubes and I'm using KT88). My current favorite 12au7s are a pair of late 50's Amperex Foil D getter tubes. Those sound great in there. Now, I need to snag some tall bottle tubes to compare.
Turns out VNM also had NOS NIB Telefunken (tungsram) E80CC's which saved me $80 USD and sound near the same, so I got those instead and used the 80 to pick up Caldera thick pads.

Either way, Ill update my post with tube roll impressions.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #2,327 of 3,548
I will take better dynamics, slam and resolve over anything any day of the week, as those are my top 3 prerequisites for killer sound. That slow decay into the vast ether is also a big big plus, and truly makes for a stunningly immersive experience. Having laser focused imaging, combined with hearing detail trail off for what seems like forever is flat out nuts!

Long live the Elrog's! :grin:
I think I'm a bit more "romantically" oriented in my headphone sound. I came across a beautiful pair of 1955 foil sheet getter Mullard EL84's, and while I find overall detail to be less than something like my Valvo's in the Pendant SE, the naturalness, warmth, and unique reverberation they have makes me quite content. The pairing with the Auteur Classic and Aeolus, both of which I find have a bit of treble emphasis (in different places), is sublime.

When I want to come back to reality, I just play some Bach violin, cello, or lute suites on guitar (it's all I care about playing these days :sunglasses:).

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #2,328 of 3,548
The Telefunken G73R is the King.

I have it in my Decware Taboo (SE84TS+) and concur it’s fantastic!

1695581452720.jpeg

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:54 PM Post #2,329 of 3,548
Have you tried it in the Nirvana? How did it compare to the triple mica Siemens 5814?

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #2,330 of 3,548
Have you tried it in the Nirvana? How did it compare to the triple mica Siemens 5814?

Not yet… I have couple products to review I’m behind, tubes to roll, headphones loaned to return.. and off to CanJam on Friday… I’ll try to this when I’m back!

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #2,331 of 3,548
Not yet… I have couple products to review I’m behind, tubes to roll, headphones loaned to return.. and off to CanJam on Friday… I’ll try to this when I’m back!
👍🏻 Living the dream :L3000:

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #2,332 of 3,548
I have it in my Decware Taboo (SE84TS+) and concur it’s fantastic!

1695581452720.jpeg
Decware amps are something I really want to experience one day. And all the glow from these tubes makes me feel all warm inside :relieved:

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #2,333 of 3,548
👍🏻 Living the dream :L3000:

Amen. Grateful for all of it 😉🙏

Decware amps are something I really want to experience one day. And all the glow from these tubes makes me feel all warm inside :relieved:

So, if the glow attracts you and you are Decware curious... what you see int his picture in fact are 2 Decware amps chained back to back..

The one further behind that is a bit more fuzzy in this picture, is the new Decware/ZMF Reference OTL amp, which I dearly love (which I reviewed here). I use it as both an OTL amp (love it with the AO and AC, as well as the the ADX5000 and JD800S), and as a pre-amp to the Decware Taboo ES84TS+ which is the one upfront in the picture with the GR73-R tube. That combined pre/power tube combo is just somehting out of this world to me -- it's my absolutely favorite amp combo for the Caldera. I also love using with the Susvara when listening to more acoustic/vocal oriented music).

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2,334 of 3,548
Amen. Grateful for all of it 😉🙏

So, if the glow attracts you and you are Decware curious... what you see int his picture in fact are 2 Decware amps chained back to back..

The one further behind that is a bit more fuzzy in this picture, is the new Decware/ZMF Reference OTL amp, which I dearly love (which I reviewed here). I use it as both an OTL amp (love it with the AO and AC, as well as the the ADX5000 and JD800S), and as a pre-amp to the Decware Taboo ES84TS+ which is the one upfront in the picture with the GR73-R tube. That combined pre/power tube combo is just somehting out of this world to me -- it's my absolutely favorite amp combo for the Caldera. I also love using with the Susvara when listening to more acoustic/vocal oriented music).
Yes I recognized it! And I loved your review as well. But alas, I’m just a poor boy. Maybe when I make it big with Bach I’ll have a shot at affording one :wink:

Sep 24, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #2,335 of 3,548
The beauty of the G73-R, is that it is so good, it works amazingly well with just about everything. Also, they keep their value, so if you do buy some and they don't work out for you, it's quite easy to get most of, if not all your money back.

Some tubes are just so exceptional, they break all the "traditional rules", and the G73-R is most definitely one of them. The G73R improves all aspects of the sound, and therefore pairs well with pretty much everything.

I know it sounds too good to be true, but it's not. If I was using an amp with a circuit optimized for the 12AU7 like the 6A, I would no doubt be using the G73R.
Pharmaboy's Note-to-Self: Do NOT hire Wes S to be an Addiction Counselor in the new "Tube-Rolling Recovery Center."

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #2,336 of 3,548
I think I'm a bit more "romantically" oriented in my headphone sound.
What he said!

I found this exact same thing out about myself decades ago when climbing the high-end audio ladder in big 2-channel gear. BTW, I'm not talking about gooey, lush, detail-obscuring tone in gear...I really mean gear that allows the natural warmth, resonance, and beauty of things like concert pianos and massed violins to come through.

An analogy (I used to do a lot of photograhy): when shooting a portrait, one can select the coldest (color temp) film, paper, and lighting; and use side-lighting to highlight every pore in the subject's face like the surface of the moon. That certainly can work--it makes a very forensic, analytical portrait. But what usually works better are selections of gear and lighting that cast the face mercifully, insightfully, what I used to call "Rembrandt lighting." That works because the subject is a human being capable of inner warmth and beauty....

PS to Haasaaroni: no Villa Lobos? No Albinez?

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 7:05 PM Post #2,337 of 3,548
Pharmaboy's Note-to-Self: Do NOT hire Wes S to be an Addiction Counselor in the new "Tube-Rolling Recovery Center."
You’re just lucky the HP8 doesn’t take 12AU7’s 😄

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #2,338 of 3,548
But what usually works better are selections of gear and lighting that cast the face mercifully, insightfully, what I used to call "Rembrandt lighting." That works because the subject is a human being capable of inner warmth and beauty....

“Capable of inner warmth and beauty” that’s really lovely, and a really nice analogy!

I’ll tell you a secret…I strongly dislike the guitar music of Villa Lobos 😅 Aside from his Choros anyway. Albeniz is wonderful but so, so difficult to transcribe to the solo guitar accurately and effectively.

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:15 PM Post #2,340 of 3,548
What he said!

I found this exact same thing out about myself decades ago when climbing the high-end audio ladder in big 2-channel gear. BTW, I'm talking about gooey, lush, detail-obscuring tone in gear...I really mean gear that allows the natural warmth, resonance, and beauty of things like concert pianos and massed violins to come through.

An analogy (I used to do a lot of photograhy): when shooting a portrait, one can select the coldest (color temp) film, paper, and lighting; and use side-lighting to highlight every pore in the subject's face like the surface of the moon. That certainly can work--it makes a very forensic, analytical portrait. But what usually works better are selections of gear and lighting that cast the face mercifully, insightfully, what I used to call "Rembrandt lighting." That works because the subject is a human being capable of inner warmth and beauty....

From context (and being familiar with your tastes) I'm guessing you mean that you're "...NOT talking about gooey, lush, detail obscuring tone in gear..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back