The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Sep 23, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #2,311 of 3,548
You may not remember, but you were the individual that convinced me to buy the HP8. A unit went up for sale on head-fi classified's a town over from my location during our DM'ing and I scooped it up. Glad I got the opportunity to own this excellent product.

I'm very excited to start tube rolling, but I blew my wallet-load on these two machines...
I had forgotten. Glad you got it, and extra glad you compared it so capably to another amp in its general class.

I've actually heard the HA-3A a number of times at show. It made no real impression, but that's only because each time I was far more focused on the headphone plugged into it; also because it's so hard to really hear what any amp can do under show conditions.

I picked up my used HP8 about a year ago. I'd never heard one, never even saw one. Was going strictly off positive comments in various threads. For me, the HP8 turned out to be one of those rare audio "wins" that only happen every few years: a component or transducer that immediately suits my sonic tastes so well that I'm bowled over. It only got better when I started tube rolling. I have a number of input tubes; all sound good, better than the cheapie input tube the previous owner shipped with the amp.

The sound really came together w/the 2nd set of NOS power tubes (neither set was scary expensive, not unobtanium-level 6NS7s). Then a friend gave me several input tubes (a wonderful thing) and one of them just locked in. Now I don't want to change a thing.

This amp does it all for me--dynamics and planars. The capable HP8 inspired me ot upgrade some key wires in the system. I really hear those upgrades clearly via the HP8 and the high-resolution Caldera (another of those "wins").

I have much respect for the designer of the HP8. Working with materials, basic circuit, and tube types used in other amps, he made something that sounds really special.

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #2,312 of 3,548
I had forgotten. Glad you got it, and extra glad you compared it so capably to another amp in its general class.

I've actually heard the HA-3A a number of times at show. It made no real impression, but that's only because each time I was far more focused on the headphone plugged into it; also because it's so hard to really hear what any amp can do under show conditions.

I picked up my used HP8 about a year ago. I'd never heard one, never even saw one. Was going strictly off positive comments in various threads. For me, the HP8 turned out to be one of those rare audio "wins" that only happen every few years: a component or transducer that immediately suits my sonic tastes so well that I'm bowled over. It only got better when I started tube rolling. I have a number of input tubes; all sound good, better than the cheapie input tube the previous owner shipped with the amp.

The sound really came together w/the 2nd set of NOS power tubes (neither set was scary expensive, not unobtanium-level 6NS7s). Then a friend gave me several input tubes (a wonderful thing) and one of them just locked in. Now I don't want to change a thing.

This amp does it all for me--dynamics and planars. The capable HP8 inspired me ot upgrade some key wires in the system. I really hear those upgrades clearly via the HP8 and the high-resolution Caldera (another of those "wins").

I have much respect for the designer of the HP8. Working with materials, basic circuit, and tube types used in other amps, he made something that sounds really special.
You can definitely hear the point to point wiring. As I said in my write up the amp is quiet and the FR is a chasm. There's no doubt it was made expertly and outperforms it's price point for sure.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to know what tubes you've tried and which ones you liked in particular for the Caldera?

Sep 23, 2023 at 11:11 PM Post #2,313 of 3,548
You can definitely hear the point to point wiring. As I said in my write up the amp is quiet and the FR is a chasm. There's no doubt it was made expertly and outperforms it's price point for sure.

If you wouldn't mind, I'd love to know what tubes you've tried and which ones you liked in particular for the Caldera?
Will PM you w/that tomorrow. Just about to shut it down here now...

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #2,314 of 3,548
Too early for anything concrete, but the Elrogs are certainly more dynamic and resolving, with significantly more slam. The level of detail retrieval on the Elrogs are off the charts. You are laser focused on every instrument and you hear every micro detail and position of every instrument on the stage, every note a singular event with a slow decay into the vast ether.

The WE are more of a traditional 300B sound, and instead of being hyper focused on detail and dynamics, it creates a surprisingly convincing, cohesive orchestra where you are enveloped by the sound instead of hyper focused on every detail. Macro vs Micro

I can already tell I will prefer some input tubes on one over the other, this is similar to my experience on the Pendant with RFT's vs Tungsram EL84's
I will take better dynamics, slam and resolve over anything any day of the week, as those are my top 3 prerequisites for killer sound. That slow decay into the vast ether is also a big big plus, and truly makes for a stunningly immersive experience. Having laser focused imaging, combined with hearing detail trail off for what seems like forever is flat out nuts!

Long live the Elrog's! :grin:

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #2,315 of 3,548
Seems about right, yea. I found a tube store that does a good job making content about the tubes they sell (ValvesnMore) which is near me in Ontario Canada. Comparing their prices, they seem very reasonable. Reading through the HA-3A thread, Cayin seems to believe you'll get greater changes in sound replacing the 12AU7's than the 6v6's though. I'm going to try to pick up some Philips tallbottle miniwatts. They seem widely regarded as all-around excellent.

Yeah, I checked Valves N More's website and they seem to have some nice options.

I haven't tried the Philips tallbottles in mind, but those would probably work great. I've tried various Philips/Amperex 12au7s and those are my current go to in my 6A (although it may be different for you since your amp uses 6V6 tubes and I'm using KT88). My current favorite 12au7s are a pair of late 50's Amperex Foil D getter tubes. Those sound great in there. Now, I need to snag some tall bottle tubes to compare.

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #2,316 of 3,548
Yeah, I checked Valves N More's website and they seem to have some nice options.

I haven't tried the Philips tallbottles in mind, but those would probably work great. I've tried various Philips/Amperex 12au7s and those are my current go to in my 6A (although it may be different for you since your amp uses 6V6 tubes and I'm using KT88). My current favorite 12au7s are a pair of late 50's Amperex Foil D getter tubes. Those sound great in there. Now, I need to snag some tall bottle tubes to compare.
Speaking of some killer 12AU7/ECC82. . .

Check these out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1338426534...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Having rolled through pretty much every 12AU7/ECC82 ever made in my Pendant SE days, the RFT Foil Disc Getters were some of my favs and they are ridiculously affordable for what they sound like.

And if you have the budget for the very best of the best, this is your Huckleberry. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1663413550...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The Telefunken G73R is the King.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #2,317 of 3,548
Speaking of some killer 12AU7/ECC82. . .

Check these out. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1338426534...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Having rolled through pretty much every 12AU7/ECC82 ever made in my Pendant SE days, the RFT Foil Disc Getters were some of my favs and they are ridiculously affordable for what they sound like.

And if you have the budget for the very best of the best, this is your Huckleberry. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1663413550...VfNWCSSTQa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

The Telefunken G73R is the King.

How would you compare the Tele G73R vs normal ribbed or smooth plate Teles? I was not a fan (at all) of the Teles that I have in my 6A.

Sep 24, 2023 at 7:59 AM Post #2,318 of 3,548
How would you compare the Tele G73R vs normal ribbed or smooth plate Teles? I was not a fan (at all) of the Teles that I have in my 6A.
The G73R sounds nothing like the typical Telefunken house sound, and has warmth and detail combined and sounds so hauntingly natural/lifelike it's insane. They have a super black background and sounds literally explode and pop out all around your head and way outside the cups. The bass is full, powerful, and tight and goes super deep with texture through the roof, the mids are open, airy and super detailed and never too forward or harsh and the highs soar yet still stay smooth as well. The G73-R lives up to hype and then some, and honestly it is such a revelation hearing how much better it is from all the rest, that words can't really describe how magical it is.

The bass, detail, and super open and holographic staging of the G73-R are to die for. This is going to sound a bit nuts, but most of us who have heard the G73-R, say the improvements in sound are so substantial, it's sounds as if a major component has been upgraded.

One last thing, they are ridiculously expensive, but they are "super tubes", and are built to last up to 40,000 hours (vs. the normal 4,000 - 6,000 hours of a pedestrian type tube). So, factor that into the price, and it's a little easier to swallow. :wink:

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #2,319 of 3,548
The G73R sounds nothing like the typical Telefunken house sound, and has warmth and detail combined and sounds so hauntingly natural/lifelike it's insane. They have a super black background and sounds literally explode and pop out all around your head and way outside the cups. The bass is full, powerful, and tight and goes super deep with texture through the roof, the mids are open, airy and super detailed and never too forward or harsh and the highs soar yet still stay smooth as well. The G73-R lives up to hype and then some, and honestly it is such a revelation hearing how much better it is from all the rest, that words can't really describe how magical it is.

The bass, detail, and super open and holographic staging of the G73-R are to die for. This is going to sound a bit nuts, but most of us who have heard the G73-R, say the improvements in sound are so substantial, it's sounds as if a major component has been upgraded.

One last thing, they are ridiculously expensive, but they are "super tubes", and are built to last up to 40,000 hours (vs. the normal 4,000 - 6,000 hours of a pedestrian type tube). So, factor that into the price, and it's a little easier to swallow. :wink:

For me, the real bummer of the super tubes is that I can't hear them in my system beforehand. Because, no matter how good the tube, it still needs to mesh within the system. But I'll definitely keep an eye open for those G73R.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #2,320 of 3,548
For me, the real bummer of the super tubes is that I can't hear them in my system beforehand. Because, no matter how good the tube, it still needs to mesh within the system. But I'll definitely keep an eye open for those G73R.
The beauty of the G73-R, is that it is so good, it works amazingly well with just about everything. Also, they keep their value, so if you do buy some and they don't work out for you, it's quite easy to get most of, if not all your money back.

Some tubes are just so exceptional, they break all the "traditional rules", and the G73-R is most definitely one of them. The G73R improves all aspects of the sound, and therefore pairs well with pretty much everything.

I know it sounds too good to be true, but it's not. If I was using an amp with a circuit optimized for the 12AU7 like the 6A, I would no doubt be using the G73R.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #2,321 of 3,548
The beauty of the G73-R, is that it is so good, it works amazingly well with just about everything. Also, they keep their value, so if you do buy some and they don't work out for you, it's quite easy to get most of, if not all your money back.

Some tubes are just so exceptional, they break all the "traditional rules", and the G73-R is most definitely one of them. The G73R improves all aspects of the sound, and therefore pairs well with pretty much everything.

I know it sounds too good to be true, but it's not. If I was using an amp with a circuit optimized for the 12AU7 like the 6A, I would no doubt be using the G73R.

I'm a little bit skeptical of the "works in every system" concept with tubes, but it's possible that the G73-R could change my views on it. I'll give them a listen if the opportunity presents itself.

Sep 24, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #2,322 of 3,548
I'm a little bit skeptical of the "works in every system" concept with tubes, but it's possible that the G73-R could change my views on it. I'll give them a listen if the opportunity presents itself.
Trust me I totally hear ya, and until I heard one I was just as skeptical. Heck, I watched some of my buddies enjoy this tube for several years before I finally took the plunge. That being said most of us who eventually took the leap, had the same reaction, "Why didn't I do this sooner?!".

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #2,324 of 3,548
Ohhh no, he’s done it! From Elrog to WE. Any initial impressions?
IMG_1585.gif

Sep 24, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #2,325 of 3,548
Both @Wes S and @steve468 reflect my experience as well. I found the G73-R to just be the best. If any tube was worth a blind buy, it’s this one.

But on a side note, I also personally prefer the black label G73-R’s to the red labels Wes linked to (subtle difference, but the black labels are quieter, smoother, and richer), though I haven’t seen many for sale recently. The red label I own have the *smallest* bit of hiss on my Pendant SE from the high output (and for another Pendant SE owner as well), but the dynamics and explosiveness of sound of the red label, coupled with their timbre, detail, stage, and effortlessness of delivery, are simply worth the price IMO.

Of course I have known people to not fall in love with the G73-R sound, but they seem to be the exceptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back