The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jun 19, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #1,861 of 3,548
Jun 19, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #1,862 of 3,548
I want to pull the trigger on a Tube Amp for my VC and i am Torn between a Woo Audio Wa2 2nd Edition and a Feliks Audio Echo 2 they are the same price wise i am reading good things about both so i have no clue which to pick.

IT will Play on a Ares 2 R2R dac ... Can someone Recommend me one over the other ?
I went from an Echo Mk I to a Woo Audio WA2 (early model) and it was a BIG leap forward. While yes, you can spend more on tubes for the WA2, it is a much better amp in my experience.

Jun 24, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,865 of 3,548
Hi, everybody!

What do you think is the most portable way to drive Aeolus (to an acceptable extent)? I understand that to reach its sonic pinnacle some more heavy-duty hardware may be required, but my lifestyle involves changing locations often, so I'd need a lighter solution, one that can be powered by USB.

I've heard good things about iFi Gryphon with Aeolus, what do yo guys think? Are there any other possible DAC/amps in the similar/smaller form-factor?

Looking forward to you suggestions, thanks!

Jun 24, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #1,867 of 3,548
I believe @zach915m likes the Mojo 2 for some of his headphones.

Jun 24, 2023 at 4:34 PM Post #1,869 of 3,548
What kind of budget are you thinking of spending?
Not more than $500-800 hopefully, preferably less.
Though I'm new to this, so I don't know if we're talking about a marginal benefit or night and day. I wouldn't call myself a trained listener. My only experience has been with AKG 712 so far, from which I'm looking to upgrade.

Eclipse is better, of course.
Have to admit, looks absolutely beautiful. But, being new to this, I don't know if I can justify spending more on an amp than on the headphones themselves... but I might consider a Topaz, thanks! Also, "vacuum tube design rated for 5,000 hours of life" sounds like they'd need to be replaced in roughly a year?

I have an original Mojo
Sounds like a nice option, thanks for your advice!

Would of course love to hear what @zach915m thinks too.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,870 of 3,548
Though I'm new to this, so I don't know if we're talking about a marginal benefit or night and day. I wouldn't call myself a trained listener. My only experience has been with AKG 712 so far, from which I'm looking to upgrade.

Have to admit, looks absolutely beautiful. But, being new to this, I don't know if I can justify spending more on an amp than on the headphones themselves... but I might consider a Topaz, thanks! Also, "vacuum tube design rated for 5,000 hours of life" sounds like they'd need to be replaced in roughly a year?

Hey there!

One other thought might be the Sony WM1A- you can get them used for $400-500 or so. Add a 512 GB card to it and you have a versatile, capable amp/DAC that can go with you. The custom firmware from Mr. Walkman is a breeze to install, and ups the gain so a 300 Ohm headphone is fine via balanced (4.4 mm)… I use my VCs with my Sony regularly and it sounds really good.

While I’ve never compared the Sony to the various Ifi and Woo portable options, it might be worth considering for you.

Best of luck in your search!

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #1,871 of 3,548
Hello ,
You will not be able to exploit so much in the portable range.
The thing with portables is also battery where you have to take into account.
And to find a good mix where the consumption is not so big but still powerful.
You won't find that in the cheaper sector.
The Topaz could be something or something in the same range as a Dap that is powerful with a good battery.
The current Daps seem to have found a good way.
But they are still a bit expensive.
If you are not in a hurry, it might be worth waiting.
Cayin,Astell&Kern,Shangling M6 or 10,lotoo seem to be good.
Spontaneously I can think of this one.
https://hifigo.com/collections/portable/products/hiby-r6-pro-ii

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #1,872 of 3,548

Zach is at Canjam this weekend, but he might pop in when he has time

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #1,873 of 3,548
The thing with portables is also battery where you have to take into account.
I don't think battery life would be an important factor as I only listen at my desktop, so it'd be always connected to my laptop (unless I don't understand something). Though as I change locations often and live out of my luggage, I need something that's not too big and doesn't consume a power socket, so can be powered by USB. Hence why I'm looking for a portable solution.

The current Daps seem to have found a good way.
Sony WM1A
I don't really need DAP functionality per se, I listen from my laptop, do you think it's worth getting one in lieu of a DAC/amp? Would seem that a dedicated device would produce a better result.

Jun 24, 2023 at 5:43 PM Post #1,874 of 3,548
I don't think battery life would be an important factor as I only listen at my desktop, so it'd be always connected to my laptop (unless I don't understand something). Though as I change locations often and live out of my luggage, I need something that's not too big and doesn't consume a power socket, so can be powered by USB. Hence why I'm looking for a portable solution.

I don't really need DAP functionality per se, I listen from my laptop, do you think it's worth getting one in lieu of a DAC/amp? Would seem that a dedicated device would produce a better result.
Laptops and desktops as a source can introduce noise into your chain, noise that sometimes you don't even notice until it's gone.
. Typically a streamer/server /dap can give you a better, noise free source.
You will notice better dynamics and staging in all directions once you remove or put a dent in the noise source

Jun 24, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #1,875 of 3,548
Hello,

I heard this dap in the shop.
https://hifigo.com/collections/portable/products/shanling-m6-ultra
It's technically perfect, although a bit more expensive, but well worth the money and free of what Monsterzero mentioned.
And are very flexible on the train,airport ect...without needing a laptop every time.
It should also be able to be connected via usb to use it as a dac.

I will give another example when I use the dacdongle with the smartphone, what Monsterzero mentioned is most present.
The same can happen with the laptop.
If you prefer a mobile headphone amp like the Topaz, Ify Gryphon or the next model up or something else then go for it.
This one would be another favourite if I had to buy.
https://hifigo.com/collections/port...ray-honey-h1-ak4497-usb-dac-amp-headphone-amp
It has also received great and positive reviews.
And should have even less problems driving a Zmf headphone.

With devices like these you have to be aware that you always need a source, be it a smartphone, tablet or laptop.

What speaks for a Dap, it is like a smartphone only better and purely designed for music.
You can also use Bluetooth headphones, or connect to Bluetooth in the car and enjoy very good quality in the car.

If you have a good streaming provider like Tidal, you can download your playlists to the player and use them offline.

You can certainly look for cheaper, but you won't be completely satisfied.
Everything I mentioned is very well balanced for its price, also in terms of sound.
You probably won't like the sound of stuff from Topping ect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back