The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jun 24, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #1,876 of 3,725
Laptops and desktops as a source can introduce noise into your chain, noise that sometimes you don't even notice until it's gone.
. Typically a streamer/server /dap can give you a better, noise free source.
You will notice better dynamics and staging in all directions once you remove or put a dent in the noise source
Is a quality tablet comparable to using something like a steamer or DAP for a clean source? I use an iPad Air that has USB-C as my source (fed into a Chord TT2>Feliks Euforia AE). I've assumed it would be pretty clean since it runs on battery and well constructed. These days I pretty much only stream as I've gotten too lazy to upkeep a library of my own (using Apple Music which has Hi Rez).

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #1,877 of 3,725
Is a quality tablet comparable to using something like a steamer or DAP for a clean source? I use an iPad Air that has USB-C as my source (fed into a Chord TT2>Feliks Euforia AE). I've assumed it would be pretty clean since it runs on battery and well constructed. These days I pretty much only stream as I've gotten too lazy to upkeep a library of my own (using Apple Music which has Hi Rez).
I've not tried a tablet to be honest, but I would assume like you do that since it's battery operated it would have some advantage over a multi purpose laptop with a fan.

Ideally you want your source's only duty to be feeding music files to your DAC

Jun 24, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #1,878 of 3,725
I've not tried a tablet to be honest, but I would assume like you do that since it's battery operated it would have some advantage over a multi purpose laptop with a fan.

Ideally you want your source's only duty to be feeding music files to your DAC
Thanks. Yeah, the only thing I use it for is steaming music or streaming shows on apps.

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #1,879 of 3,725
I think it’s hard to resist, isn’t it? I didn’t want to myself, and now I have tubes from India on the way to me this week.
I didn't want to, either.

My theory is tubes work their destructive magic on our addictive minds in 2 complementary ways:
  • They're sealed, vacuum-containing little mysteries. Few of us understand how they work. We just like watching them glow--and hearing them glow (their sound seems to glow)
  • And tubes, even matched pairs or quartets, are small and **relatively** affordable, even at insane NOS prices -- they thus serve as surrogates, placeholders, miniature delaying tactics between purchases of bigger/badder/more expensive hardware that cause one to mortgage the house

Jun 24, 2023 at 11:26 PM Post #1,880 of 3,725
Hi, everybody!

What do you think is the most portable way to drive Aeolus (to an acceptable extent)? I understand that to reach its sonic pinnacle some more heavy-duty hardware may be required, but my lifestyle involves changing locations often, so I'd need a lighter solution, one that can be powered by USB.

I've heard good things about iFi Gryphon with Aeolus, what do yo guys think? Are there any other possible DAC/amps in the similar/smaller form-factor?

Looking forward to you suggestions, thanks!
A chord mojo 1 and Ray Samuel's amp may be great, I say this only because the mojo is great, but greater as a DAC, and I haven't heard a solid state amp I like more than what Ray has made. He did make a dac amp with the intruder, but the dac isn't as "advanced" as the chord dacs. Unless you need the DSP of the mojo 2 you could probably find both within your budget.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 24, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #1,881 of 3,725
Hey guys,
More detail to come with my organized impressions of CanJam Chicago post weekend, but on the ZMF amp front, the upcoming ZMF/JDS amp is a promising new product. Cool retro design (airport hanger like) design in small clean desktop friendly casing. It is very clear sounding, with a welcome and useful output impedance switch (and gain switch). Final design will see some small change, but will be substantially as you see here.

@zach915m is on fire this year..:wink:

IMG_6405.jpeg

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #1,882 of 3,725
That ZMF/JDS Amp prototype at CanJam is already looking nicely refined from the one posted a week or so back. Excited for the final product.

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #1,883 of 3,725
Looks pretty much the same (to my eye) from the June 15th photo / post.

IMHO, not (entirely) clear what to make of this collaboration. I suppose JDS has been on the down slope in recent years and therein lines the opportunity.

Will be interesting to hear if the sound competes (around the price point) to something like the Piety.

Jun 25, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #1,884 of 3,725
The front may be my imagination but the cutouts look a bit more form-fitted to the connections and switches. The metal body is definitely cleaner as it's now recessed from the wood front and just looks more uniform & solid.

Also just in terms of comparing with the Piety, I think Zach mentioned he expects this around the 1k price point. To me it seems like the Cayin IHA-6 is a closer competitor in terms of features (good power and selectable output impedance).

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #1,885 of 3,725
I’m looking forward to reading audio impressions about this amp. I’m still looking for a good amp to drive my VO and I’m sure Zach will have tried to match this one as possible with ZMF HPs

From a quick view, it fits my expectations in terms of size, price and I/O. Interesting to see the final appearance, but this last one is ok for me (it would be great to be able to choose the wood for the front side)

This is from the Canjam thread, I think is interesting:

1687697697621.png

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #1,886 of 3,725
I did not realize it was $1k - very tricky price point (IMHO). Your saying this is ~ 2x a JOT 2 or BHC (both great AMPs at their price point). And, at $1k you stumble into Burson and Flux.

I guess the proof will be in the pudding. Zach seems to know what he's doing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :sunglasses:

Jun 25, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #1,887 of 3,725
I suppose JDS has been on the down slope in recent years and therein lines the opportunity.
Have you tried the Element 3? It's pretty amazing and has some incredible functionality.

I have been friends with John and the team at JDS for years, and we both have equipment in a shared machine shop so I see them all the time. I really respect @jseabers work and he went all out on the innards and design of the ZMF amp to really make something that perfectly matches our gear and can even drive something like Susvara.

This is clearly not an Amp that will push tons of functionality at you and DSP/etc, but one that we focused on sonic performance over all else.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 25, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #1,888 of 3,725
No, Jeff Wells has my free cash flow - so, I've not heard the newest Element :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::sunglasses: The Element 3 looks like an interesting piece of kit.

Also, my "downslope" comment was related to marketing/competition challenges (over the past couple years)... not a performance related remark.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #1,889 of 3,725
Hi, everybody!

What do you think is the most portable way to drive Aeolus (to an acceptable extent)? I understand that to reach its sonic pinnacle some more heavy-duty hardware may be required, but my lifestyle involves changing locations often, so I'd need a lighter solution, one that can be powered by USB.

I've heard good things about iFi Gryphon with Aeolus, what do yo guys think? Are there any other possible DAC/amps in the similar/smaller form-factor?

Looking forward to you suggestions, thanks!
I love Mojo 2 with my Atrium, Auteur and Indigo IEM for that matter. It‘s supplanted the SMSL M400 as my primary desktop DAC, and better yet, I can take it to different rooms in my home for listening sessions. Mojo 2/Atrium and an early evening on the couch in my living room is one of my favorite listening scenarios. I’ve gained a whole new perspective and appreciation for how drums, guitars and vocals should sound with that pairing. Being able to change listening venues actually adds to the enjoyment of listening to music and of course ZMF’s always portray music in the most organic and engaging manner. :)

Jun 25, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,890 of 3,725
I use an iPad Air running Qobuz feeding to Mojo 2 via USB-C and it’s been a revelation. Was strictly a download to DAP person but streaming has opened a whole new world of music to me. It’s wonderful to be able to read a review of an album then listen to it a few seconds later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back