The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Apr 23, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #1,636 of 3,740
I have never heard any otl amp so I didn't know if a cheaper otl amp could compete with my wa22 and upgraded tubes.
I'm not sure as I have not heard the WA22, but i am inclined to speculate that it's more of a case of personal preferences rather than "competing".
From my limited experience with TC amps they seem to be more linear (clean, clear, crisp, direct) sounding than many OTLs I have heard. That being said I'm willing to guess that like OTL amps, not all TC amps sound the same.

Apr 23, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #1,637 of 3,740
Apr 25, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #1,638 of 3,740
Well, looks like the Icon Audio HP8 is feeling a bit left out in this thread. Any chance we could give it some love and attention? :wink:

VdfHPiW.jpg

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,639 of 3,740
HP8 has been featured in this thread … scroll back … 📖 🧐

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:30 PM Post #1,640 of 3,740
After all the reading and considerations I have decided to get the Quicksilver Amp. Called them today and they had 1 left in stock. So it was good timing! Now just waiting for Friday to order the AC!

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions and gave me suggestions on amps!

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,641 of 3,740
It is so cool to read about everyone's experience with a wide range of amps and technologies. Many of them are unobtainable for me for now- but it is great to live vicariously through the generous opinions and sharing if far more experienced head-fiers here. Thanks to all for that!

I am currently running a Zen stack (Dac and Can) which powers it surprisingly well, to my ears, as well as a Project Ember Ii. I am looking for a solid state upgrade; while the Violectric V202/222 looks amazing, I was wondering if the Lake People g111 mk Ii would be a worthy pairing? I would struggle to spend more than $600 at present, and would prefer to get an OTL in future for around the $1000 mark.

I also have an LCD-XC, Sundara and HD600, so something that would work with them would be a preference as well.

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #1,642 of 3,740
Well, looks like the Icon Audio HP8 is feeling a bit left out in this thread. Any chance we could give it some love and attention? :wink:

VdfHPiW.jpg
Just loan me that gorgeous headphone and I'll post 5X a day about the HP8!

(actually, I post often about it on the HP8 thread)

FWIW, I'm finding the HP8 essential to understanding the sound (and sonic upsides) of various ZMF headphones.

Apr 25, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #1,643 of 3,740
Just loan me that gorgeous headphone and I'll post 5X a day about the HP8!

(actually, I post often about it on the HP8 thread)

FWIW, I'm finding the HP8 essential to understanding the sound (and sonic upsides) of various ZMF headphones.

lol

As I only have the Atrium, I cannot speak for the other ZMF headphones. However, I must say that this amp has made me fall in love again with all my dynamic headphones. I never knew that my Sennheisers and Grados could sound this incredible.

Apr 25, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #1,644 of 3,740
lol

As I only have the Atrium, I cannot speak for the other ZMF headphones. However, I must say that this amp has made me fall in love again with all my dynamic headphones. I never knew that my Sennheisers and Grados could sound this incredible.
I had the same experience with tubes. it made me completely reevaluate my system and thoughts on my existing headphones. I ended up selling most of my planars and moving heavily towards high impedance dynamics. something about the synergy there with tubes it just undeniable.

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:33 AM Post #1,645 of 3,740
Hello all, I would like to make a question about amplifiers for a VO, may be a little bit difficult one, but I think this is the best place to make it 😉

After a lot of reading, I have crystal clear the right way for ZMF (and high impedance) hp’s is a tube amp (OTL or TC), but the point is that currently (for some reasons) I feel it’s not my “tube” moment, yet

So, my question might be, would I be losing too much of the benefits of an OTL/TC amp (sweetness, liquidity, 3D soundstage, warmth, etc) if I go for something like a Vioelectric amp? (to be paired with a Bifrost2/64 when it is available)

I thought about the Magny Piety as well (that is available yet), but there are two things here: first I would have to pay almost double its price to bring it to EU (160$ becomes almost 300$ with transport, VAT and Customs fee), and second, I prefer something closer to an “end-game” chain (may be someone called the V222/V226 an “early end-game”?), and my impression (may not be right) is that the Piety is more a very good/casual complement when you already have other good amps at home

Any other suggestion would be more than welcome

Thanks a lot!

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #1,646 of 3,740
Hello all, I would like to make a question about amplifiers for a VO, may be a little bit difficult one, but I think this is the best place to make it 😉

After a lot of reading, I have crystal clear the right way for ZMF (and high impedance) hp’s is a tube amp (OTL or TC), but the point is that currently (for some reasons) I feel it’s not my “tube” moment, yet

So, my question might be, would I be losing too much of the benefits of an OTL/TC amp (sweetness, liquidity, 3D soundstage, warmth, etc) if I go for something like a Vioelectric amp? (to be paired with a Bifrost2/64 when it is available)

I thought about the Magny Piety as well (that is available yet), but there are two things here: first I would have to pay almost double its price to bring it to EU (160$ becomes almost 300$ with transport, VAT and Customs fee), and second, I prefer something closer to an “end-game” chain (may be someone called the V222/V226 an “early end-game”?), and my impression (may not be right) is that the Piety is more a very good/casual complement when you already have other good amps at home

Thanks a lot!
You are right! Best place to ask your question. Until you are ‘ready’ for OTC/OTL tube headphone amplifier, Violectric is a great place to be for your Verite Open. If you want the slightly warm, slightly tube-y sound from Violectric: from the current lineup, go with V202 or V222. These are direct sonic descendants of the V200 and V280/281. If you can find these older amplifiers (or V220), great! Sonically, you will lose little versus the OTC/OTL sound and will gain ‘fuss-free’ listening. [Note: I own HPA V200, HPA V281, and Verite Open.]

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,647 of 3,740

Thanks a lot!
Please don’t be valve shy Rollnrock. You are missing out on some very nice sonic qualities and the ability to roll in a very custom tailored sound to your ears. Plus the glow! (Birthday cake effect). I have had 0TL amplifiers and tubed power supplies in my kit for over 30 years and to the total of some 50+ tubes in between the source and our ears and I can say it’s nothing to be freaked out about. now it’s your choice, I totally respect wherever you’re at. But I’m just trying to give you a little friendly nudge, to jump, in a good direction. My apologies, I can’t speak specifically to your question. I’ll leave that for others with that experience.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #1,648 of 3,740
You are right! Best place to ask your question. Until you are ‘ready’ for OTC/OTL tube headphone amplifier, Violectric is a great place to be for your Verite Open. If you want the slightly warm, slightly tube-y sound from Violectric: from the current lineup, go with V202 or V222. These are direct sonic descendants of the V200 and V280/281. If you can find these older amplifiers (or V220), great! [Disclosure: I own HPA V200, HPA V281, and Verite Open.]
Ok, great. Thanks a LOT!!

In your experience, the difference is too much (i.e. with a good OTL)? (or may be it's better not to know and just enjoy the music...:darthsmile:)

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #1,649 of 3,740
Hello,
Does anyone know if there is an adapter cable with 6.3 mm input & 6.3 mm output jack in the Zmf shop as Lektrik C or do I have to access another manufacturer?

I have one but it's a mix of copper and silver and might be a bit suboptimal if you want to use the Lektrik C in the near future I guess.

Zmf support seems to be a bit behind due to many AC requests.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:20 PM Post #1,650 of 3,740
Ok, great. Thanks a LOT!!

In your experience, the difference is too much (i.e. with a good OTL)? (or may be it's better not to know and just enjoy the music...:darthsmile:)
• It is not too much. I enjoy music through the Violectric h/p/a and through OTC/OTL tube h/p/a. “What do I feel like listening with?”
• I think of any sonic differences between the two choices as akin to different acoustics of different actual venues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back