The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Mar 4, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #1,186 of 3,765
OTLs are (on average) much cheaper and more accessible. They usually work best with high impedance dynamic headphones (like ZMF’s 300 headphones).

OTL amps not have transformers to reduce output impedance following their output stage, so in theory their signal path is more direct. Though TC amps can have super clean signal paths depending on quality of components.

You will get lower damping factor with OTL give its higher output impedance, which may have a sound that may feel euphonic and “tuby”. But so many factors can affect sound it’s hard to generalize.

In you want to drive such headphones they are a great gateway to tube amps, and can be your only amp. There are some amazing OTL amps.

If you also want to drive lower impedance or planar headphones, then a TC amp will offer the versatility to drive all. And typically have more linear amplification (again, really depends on the model).
Ok thanks, understand.impairing ZMF Verite closed and Atrium open with an Auris HA-2sf tube headamp. So was wondering why the bias

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #1,187 of 3,765
Ok thanks, understand.impairing ZMF Verite closed and Atrium open with an Auris HA-2sf tube headamp. So was wondering why the bias

I have the Auris Nirvana, a close relation to your amp, and it’s fantastic with the VC and AO.

In the end, every amp has a voicing. If you’re wondering whether you’re currently missing out on anything with your two ZMF headphone, you can be comfortable in having a great pairing on hand.

That said, every tube amp will sound a bit different than another, and any tube amp voicing will vary a bit with tube rolling. You can (and may) experiment forever and enjoy it. Or just park yourself where you are if your amp gives you the joy you were hoping for 🙏😊

Mar 4, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #1,188 of 3,765
I have the Auris Nirvana, a close relation to your amp, and it’s fantastic with the VC and AO.

In the end, every amp has a voicing. If you’re wondering whether you’re currently missing out on anything with your two ZMF headphone, you can be comfortable in having a great pairing on hand.

That said, every tube amp will sound a bit different than another, and any tube amp voicing will vary a bit with tube rolling. You can (and may) experiment forever and enjoy it. Or just park yourself where you are if your amp gives you the joy you were hoping for 🙏😊
Thank you , appreciate your input.
I have Lcd5s, prefer ZMF.
Audeze i feel are better with solid state.
If u know anyone who wants a near new Lcd5 let me know

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #1,189 of 3,765
If u know anyone who wants a near new Lcd5 let me know
I’m sure they would be sold quickly if you place them for sale in the classifieds here on Head Fi!

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #1,191 of 3,765
Mar 4, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,193 of 3,765
Yes am in Australia ,im listing the Lcd5s today,bargain, 20 hrs use free freight
You need 15 posts and one month to be a member before you can use the classifieds. It might be easier if you bought or sold a few small $ items prior to attempting to sell the LCD5 as you will build up a trader feedback score first.

After being scammed on a HE6 several years ago, I no longer buy or sell to any new members.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:42 PM Post #1,194 of 3,765
You need 15 posts and one month to be a member before you can use the classifieds. It might be easier if you bought or sold a few small $ items prior to attempting to sell the LCD5 as you will build up a trader feedback score first.

After being scammed on a HE6 several years ago, I no longer buy or sell to any new members.

I had a score before my phone crashed, so set up new username as couldn't acess old one as changed email.
Will give it a miss.as i have ZMF,Holo May Kte3 , Auris ha-2sf and Nordost cables, cant really see myself buying little things.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #1,196 of 3,765
Has anyone here tried the JDS / ZMF collab amp prototype at Canjam? Very curious about that one. Big fan of JDS.

Mar 4, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #1,197 of 3,765
Has anyone here tried the JDS / ZMF collab amp prototype at Canjam? Very curious about that one. Big fan of JDS.
Once a few more are built I'll try to get my hands on one and report back

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #1,199 of 3,765
JDS/ZMF collab? Any chance there will be a DIY option like with the Objective2 and Odac?
I don't know much more about it than anyone else.
Perhaps @zach915m can tell us about it?

Mar 5, 2023 at 1:26 AM Post #1,200 of 3,765
Don’t mean to derail the JDS/ZMF Collab conversation as I’m curious about it myself.

I just purchased my first tube amp with the Feliks Echo MKII. Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for tube rolling. I’ve never heard any tube amps before so I’m dipping my toes a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back