The (Un)Official Amp Thread For ZMF Headphones
Jun 14, 2023 at 11:29 PM Post #1,816 of 3,750
I can't really say much about the sound quality of the Reference ZMF OTL because I haven't heard it. I'm sure its a great pairing with ZMF HPs, or else it wouldn't be sold on the website.

But the price offered seems rather steep for an OTL. You can get a SET amp with really nice output transformers for the same price.

There needs to be a review comparison to be done between the reference ZMF OTL and a similarly-price SET amp.

I don't measure value of an amp for its topoligy but for its sound quality. On that, at least to me, it's worth its price. Of course, it is not meant for lower impedance planar headphones, so your use case will dictate that. But this was in referecne to the CSP3 and its 2 yr wait time. One could get a superior model (from same company) and no wait time with this one.

As far as reviews, I have post one here a few weeks ago: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/decware-zmf-reference-otl.26421/reviews#review-30541

I haven't compared it to SET amps. But I can share this is my currently favorite amp for the Atrium Closed, VO, and HD800s.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #1,817 of 3,750
I don't measure value of an amp for its topoligy but for its sound quality. On that, at least to me, it's worth its price. Of course, it is not meant for lower impedance planar headphones, so your use case will dictate that. But this was in referecne to the CSP3 and its 2 yr wait time. One could get a superior model (from same company) and no wait time with this one.

As far as reviews, I have post one here a few weeks ago: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/decware-zmf-reference-otl.26421/reviews#review-30541

I haven't compared it to SET amps. But I can share this is my currently favorite amp for the Atrium Closed, VO, and HD800s.

I'm not trying to imply that a certain topology equal to better sound quality. At the end of the day is synergy. Perhaps my wording could be be better

for me, personally, a sound comparison might be interesting between the zmf otl and a similar priced SET amp. Highlighting the differences between the two.

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #1,818 of 3,750
for me, personally, a sound comparison might be interesting between the zmf otl and a similar priced SET amp. Highlighting the differences between the two.

Alas I don’t have any SET on hand to offer a comparison to at the moment. If I get a chance to do a relevant comparison at CanJam Chicago next week then will try.

Jun 15, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #1,819 of 3,750
I'm not trying to imply that a certain topology equal to better sound quality. At the end of the day is synergy. Perhaps my wording could be be better

With all the tube rolling possibilities, it always seems like sound comparisons of tube amps never really tell the whole story. I think one has to hear the amp for themselves with your favorite tubes, to get any kind of idea if it's for you or not. This of course is not ideal, but a much better way to get a feel for the amp.

I also can't stand when people try to review or compare tube amps with just the stock tubes, as it just doesn't really do the amps justice or again tell you the whole story.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 7:28 AM Post #1,820 of 3,750
Alas I don’t have any SET on hand to offer a comparison to at the moment. If I get a chance to do a relevant comparison at CanJam Chicago next week then will try.
You sold the Nirvana?

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #1,821 of 3,750
ZMF posted some pictures of their new solidstate amp with JDS on Insta/Facebook. It is looking real nice. Might release at the end of the summer. Will be at Camjam in Chicago. Hopefully we shall get some impressions.

1686837162834.png

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #1,822 of 3,750
ZMF posted some pictures of their new solidstate amp with JDS on Insta/Facebook. It is looking real nice. Might release at the end of the summer. Will be at Camjam in Chicago. Hopefully we shall get some impressions.

1686837162834.png
i need to see more pics from different angles, my initial reaction was ugly.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:02 AM Post #1,823 of 3,750
i need to see more pics from different angles, my initial reaction was ugly.
I’m a sucker for all things wood and VU meters haha. Right up my alley. I believe this is still a pre-production so there is a chance it can still change.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #1,824 of 3,750
You sold the Nirvana?

No I still have it! (was in fact listening to it last night with the L3000, a wonderful combo).

The Nirvana is single ended, but not triode. It uses EL34 pentodes. Since the question was in comparison to SET, I would need a single ended amp with tubes like 300b or other triode tubes to offer that comparison

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #1,825 of 3,750
No I still have it! (was in fact listening to it last night with the L3000, a wonderful combo).

The Nirvana is single ended, but not triode. It uses EL34 pentodes. Since the question was in comparison to SET, I would need a single ended amp with tubes like 300b or other triode tubes to offer that comparison

Well, the EL34 are strapped as triodes in Nirvana as far as I'm aware so it is a SET amplifier technically.

Jun 15, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #1,826 of 3,750
Well, the EL34 are strapped as triodes in Nirvana as far as I'm aware so it is a SET amplifier technically.

I’ve actually tried to look that info up and couldn’t find any reference whether they were triode strapped or not, that’s why I left them out of the equation (minimal info on their website and manual). If that’s the case, I will drop a note on comparing it with the ZMF otl later today. They are both excellent but quite different sounding.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #1,827 of 3,750
I’ve actually tried to look that info up and couldn’t find any reference whether they were triode strapped or not, that’s why I left them out of the equation (minimal info on their website and manual). If that’s the case, I will drop a note on comparing it with the ZMF otl later today. They are both excellent but quite different sounding.

Thanks!

No problem. Definitely triode strapped based on the picture of the circuit from Stereophile, there's a grid stopper resistor between the g2 and plate pins. The alternative would have been a single-ended pentode circuit, pretty uncommon, more complex as it requires a feedback loop. But that's not what they did.

Jun 15, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #1,828 of 3,750
No problem. Definitely triode strapped based on the picture of the circuit from Stereophile, there's a grid stopper resistor between the g2 and plate pins. The alternative would have been a single-ended pentode circuit, pretty uncommon, more complex as it requires a feedback loop. But that's not what they did.

Good to know (the don’t provide this info themselves) thanks. As an aside, I always learn something new reading your posts. Thanks buddy 🙏😊

I will put a more specific comparison later then following up on the earlier ask. Will focus only on ZMF cans. May add a few more amps into h this while at it (including the wonderful Aegis for which I was saving a later writeup)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #1,829 of 3,750

Thanks!
looking forward to your findings!

Jun 15, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #1,830 of 3,750
I’m a sucker for all things wood and VU meters haha. Right up my alley. I believe this is still a pre-production so there is a chance it can still change.
I do love those too so i'm sure i'll get one, i just had an odd reaction looking at it at first glance. hopefully that's just an unflattering angle.

Doesn't the front profile kinda look like among us?

1686847107228.png
=
1686847136326.png
???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back