The Toneking discussion lounge
May 13, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #226 of 351
I just hope they will show more technical details on this iem, Im kinda tempted to buy this one. But I have to see its freq response first, they might post it a couple of weeks later. If this has a similar tuning to Ninetails I might buy it.

Well Ninetails has 9 different tuning signatures, but yeah I will wait for FR and reviews for this Lucifer set. Would be interested to hear your impressions if u get it.

Toneking is pretty niche, they hardly send units to reviewers and are not aggressive in marketing unlike some other CHIFI, so I have a feeling this set (even if succesful), will have a small cult following only, much like the Ninetails.

May 13, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #227 of 351
Well Ninetails has 9 different tuning signatures, but yeah I will wait for FR and reviews for this Lucifer set. Would be interested to hear your impressions if u get it.

Toneking is pretty niche, they hardly send units to reviewers and are not aggressive in marketing unlike some other CHIFI, so I have a feeling this set (even if succesful), will have a small cult following only, much like the Ninetails.

Thats the one thing I like about Toneking, they dont depend on marketing and hype, just good sounding iem/earbud, theres still no toneking product in my collection that dissapoints me. The only drawback to this company is quality control issues.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #228 of 351
Still loving my BL1 with electronic music, sound crosses over to a planar headphone experience out of PDV2 balanced with copper cabling. Almost like having an on-ear planar on the size of Koss Porta Pro.
Finally got the amount of damping (sponge from the retail box) in the nozzle right the other night (almost touching the 14mm driver), tames that treble and brings out the subs/mids from increased volume tolerance...no noticeable loss of resolution with volume increase compensation...turns out the red nozzle/frosted white tips were better than my spinfits and all other bought tip pairs etc....never thought to try stock tips till now as they are usually dire...planar IEMs SQ alters a LOT with eartips....without damping/tip-rolling/a powerful almost tubey balanced dac/amp and that small nudge from a different cable..stock form OOTB is pretty disappointing per reviews that killed any interest in this sleeper IEM....all my impressions with 'bleep/electronic music' which tends to have no real world tone to compare to as its artificially made...the subs tightness and depth can be pretty crazy....planar subs, 'when it's there it's there' type deal...not dynamic boosted farter subs.....dial this puppy !
11232579.jpg

I always go a bit further with my planar gear dialing as you can see from my avatar T50 (haha). About to get a removeable cups kit on my 1060c planar with a grill similar to a ToTL planar under it.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #229 of 351
So....the left side of my 9way has died on me, but this is probably my own fault since im constantly removing the cables out of them, I guess some mmcx connector have a shorter lifespan, although the right driver connector is still fine. So out of curiosity I opened my 9way and it looks like this

And worse, when Im on the process of getting the driver out I broke it while liberating it, bummer....

Welp....gotta buy a new one.

My 9T unexpectedly died on one side too a few months ago. I didn't swap cables at all and didn't use it too often, I probably had a couple of hundred hours with it at most and 95% of it indoors. I bought another one since.

May 13, 2020 at 7:48 AM Post #230 of 351
My 9T unexpectedly died on one side too a few months ago. I didn't swap cables at all and didn't use it too often, I probably had a couple of hundred hours with it at most and 95% of it indoors. I bought another one since.

Is it the left side on yours too? Mine however got abused so I thought it was my fault. I oftenly swap its cables and my daily driver iem.

Last edited:
May 13, 2020 at 8:08 AM Post #231 of 351
Is it the left side on yours too? Mine however got abused so I thought it was my fault. I oftenly swap its cables and my daily driver iem.

Yes, left side too.

May 22, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #233 of 351
Fr graph on lucifer is now posted in their taobao homepage https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=615299741180&spm=a21wu.9600033.recommend.3&main_itemid=567038220572&go_item_id=615299741180&pvid=3c5971fe-afd0-4017-ac4b-86ee50554b12&utparam={"x_object_type":"item","x_object_id":615299741180}&scm=1007.20269.110938.1002003000000001

Quite good imo, But I still might prefer the 9way, unfortunately when I was about to buy em (the 9way) the seller said it ran out of stock, those thousands pieces was an error :frowning2:

Last edited:
May 31, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #234 of 351
I forgot, was there any input on 1Q single dynamic's SQ ?

May 31, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #235 of 351
I forgot, was there any input on 1Q single dynamic's SQ ?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-toneking-discussion-lounge.914904/page-11#post-15312978

Helpful post by Ziggomatic, one of the rare ones I've seen around.

I think the 1Q released at a time when there were lots of other single DD sets that had taken prominence among reviewers eg Tin T4, Moondrop Starfield, KBEAR Diamond, WGT One, not to mention some well regarded older DD sets like BLON BL-03, TFZ No. 3, Semkarch SKC CNT1 and even Toneking's own Ninetails. Plus Toneking doesn't usually market aggressively or hand out review samples, so not many took a chance to try it.

Jun 9, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #236 of 351
My final thoughts on the Toneking ty2 pro

Btw I forgot to edit my first impression on this earphone awhile back, i accidentally turned on the dts feature of my v50 which causes that wrong impression so I'll correct it here.

First impression: Bass lite, midbass is snappy and not bloated/muddy, despite the forward midrange-lower treble region, the overall detail and resolution is quite high, upper treble can get sibilant on some songs.

After 200 hrs burn in: Major changes is that the midrange-lower treble is getting closer to neutral as time goes, tho still remains the center of attraction. Bass texture is improved, treble continues to be getting smoother with great extension and air. In my experience, Toneking always have that smooth frequency response, from all of their iems/buds that I currently have which I really like.

Fit is certainly not for people with smaller ears like me, as it falls easily because of that smooth metal finish. Wearing it with fins is required

Sounds at its best when not using any rubber tips or foamies, rubber tips makes it sound shouty although produces snappier bass, foamies just muddle it up. In general, the resoultion will suffer.

The imaging and overall response, goes noticeably neutral and accurate when you lightly press it in inside your ear canal. Users with large ear openings might receive the best sound out of the ty2 pro.

Quality control issues is again the main problem of Toneking, my left driver has a misaligned/recessed mmcx connector which makes cable swapping an issue and in my case more unfortunate since the ty2 pro sq highly reacts to cable swapping. (Seller accepted item exchange, but up until now I cant return it due to lockdown and decided to just keep it instead), Imo this dual drivers they used on ty2 pro might actually be better in an iem shell.

Summary:

Pros:

Midrange oriented- really great for vocals
Great resolution and detail retrieval
Airy, large and open sound with wide soundstage
Very smooth and musical presentation

Cons:
Needs more Depth
Non-existent subbass
Accurate imaging and sq relies on how the ty2 pro fits in your ears
Not for people with smaller ears.
Possible quality control issues
Not the best all-rounder kind of tuning

Hope this helps
Happy listening everyone.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #238 of 351
So, what happened to all the Toneking fans?? No Lucifer buyers?
1592158762949.png

If Toneking doesn't send out samples and nobody buys one, does a Lucifer make sound? :yum:

Jun 14, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #239 of 351
I know, they could crack a bigger slice of the western market if they dialed a bit more on QC and tuning. I think they may just be domestically focused pretty much.
I wish they would do a BL1 V2 and dial its issues out....nozzle sets, more custom choices like their higher priced IEM faceplates....doubt they even monitor the thread.

Jun 14, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #240 of 351
So, what happened to all the Toneking fans?? No Lucifer buyers?
1592158762949.png
If Toneking doesn't send out samples and nobody buys one, does a Lucifer make sound? :yum:

Haha that's the issue with Toneking, they are pretty niche. No freebie samples to reviewers, no aggressive marketing in the west. And the IEMs they release are not the cheap $30 - $50 bracket, so probably nobody dares to do a blind purchase. Most of their IEMs are competing in the $100ish market, very tough competition. Their earbuds seem to be cheaper, but so far no new releases buds wise too.

Though, I'm pretty happy I took a blind purchase for the Toneking Ninetails, but I got it due to the tunable filters. I'm gonna wait for reviews for their other IEMs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back