The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Sep 9, 2013 at 7:42 AM Post #978 of 4,701
  Hi I just ordered a pair of the HSR-1000. I am looking to buy an amp (budget around 75) and wanted to know what would be better the E11 or the PA2V2 or something completely different? Also do the HM5 pads make a substantial difference in sound quality or is it more for added comfort?

I was in a similar situation and was told this was a slim budget for an amp. I went for a CMOY that was made by the head-fi user zigisg (this was simple for me because I am in europe). A similar product in the states would be the JDSLabs CMOY. I didn't really notice too much of a difference between amped and not amped, especially using my macbook, which seems to have ample power. I noticed the largest difference later, when I impulse bought a hifimediy sabre DAC. Thats when the takstars truly started to shine for me at least.

Note that I have not tried to connect the takstars directly to the sabre dac, I have only used the sabre/cmoy combo and am really liking it, I can try the sabre only tonight and see if it can power the takstars. The combo would cost you around 100$.

Members of the Danish community hoved-fi.dk seem to swear by comboing the takstars with the Aune X1, I don't know how much the X1 is for you, but you should keep it in mind that if you get a really cheap amp, and are unsatisfied and then add a DAC it will cost somewhere upwards of 100$. The Aune X1 might not be far away from your that price.

My largest problem with the HI-2050 is the sibilance. The EQ settings in this thread improve it dramatically. However I do like quite prominent highs and I feel that there is a slight trade-off going for the parametric EQ because while it removes sibilance, I feel it affects the impact of the highs as well to some point. I have heard the X1 is supposed to make the highs of the 2050 sound great. I haven't tried it yet but maybe someone can elaborate.

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #979 of 4,701
  Hi I just ordered a pair of the HSR-1000. I am looking to buy an amp (budget around 75) and wanted to know what would be better the E11 or the PA2V2 or something completely different? Also do the HM5 pads make a substantial difference in sound quality or is it more for added comfort?

Given the advice above you might want to consider the Fiio E07K which includes DAC, AMP and EQ in the same device and is around those 75$, although you should consider that the Sabre is one of the best implemented DACs for the price.

Sep 9, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #982 of 4,701
Browsing the forums, I found something about those cheapo ELE EL-D DACs. They're supposedly pretty good. Anyone tried them? Would they be good match for Hi2050s? I don't have a dedicated amp, so I was thinking about the EL-D02 model, since it has some amp inside (lower models are DACs only).
The question is: what amp? Would it be enough for the headphones? Do they need much power?

Sep 9, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #984 of 4,701

I was in a similar situation and was told this was a slim budget for an amp. I went for a CMOY that was made by the head-fi user zigisg (this was simple for me because I am in europe). A similar product in the states would be the JDSLabs CMOY. I didn't really notice too much of a difference between amped and not amped, especially using my macbook, which seems to have ample power. I noticed the largest difference later, when I impulse bought a hifimediy sabre DAC. Thats when the takstars truly started to shine for me at least.

Note that I have not tried to connect the takstars directly to the sabre dac, I have only used the sabre/cmoy combo and am really liking it, I can try the sabre only tonight and see if it can power the takstars. The combo would cost you around 100$.

Members of the Danish community hoved-fi.dk seem to swear by comboing the takstars with the Aune X1, I don't know how much the X1 is for you, but you should keep it in mind that if you get a really cheap amp, and are unsatisfied and then add a DAC it will cost somewhere upwards of 100$. The Aune X1 might not be far away from your that price.

My largest problem with the HI-2050 is the sibilance. The EQ settings in this thread improve it dramatically. However I do like quite prominent highs and I feel that there is a slight trade-off going for the parametric EQ because while it removes sibilance, I feel it affects the impact of the highs as well to some point. I have heard the X1 is supposed to make the highs of the 2050 sound great. I haven't tried it yet but maybe someone can elaborate.

Soon you will be able to hear your phones with about 100 amp/DACs ......
Even a TOTAL-DAC (>10.000$) will be there..

I like the Sabre chip very much, but for hi2050 I do not think it is a good match, the Takstars are better off with something that has a darker signature than the Sabre, the Sabre can be a bit sharp in the highs when paired with brighter phones..

Also we should try comparing your set with the set I bought 2 years ago, mine has more than 1000 hours on them..

We might both learn something..

Sorry if I am a bit cryptic, but Robakri is comming to our danish meet this autum..

Sep 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #986 of 4,701

Soon you will be able to hear your phones with about 100 amp/DACs ......
Even a TOTAL-DAC (>10.000$) will be there..

I like the Sabre chip very much, but for hi2050 I do not think it is a good match, the Takstars are better off with something that has a darker signature than the Sabre, the Sabre can be a bit sharp in the highs when paired with brighter phones..

Also we should try comparing your set with the set I bought 2 years ago, mine has more than 1000 hours on them..

We might both learn something..

Sorry if I am a bit cryptic, but Robakri is comming to our danish meet this autum..

Looking forward to it!

Sep 13, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #988 of 4,701
Got the Hi2050 running off my Aune se using the eq settings posted in this thread and frankly I am amazed. In fact my Sennheiser hd 598 are up for sale, as I dont feel they justify being 6x the price.

Really tempted to try some other Takstar now..

Sep 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #990 of 4,701
I think some of you could find this comparison quite interesting.

Takstar HI-2050 vs Pioneer Se-A1000

What to expect from each one and how do they compare in terms of sound quality?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/677868/pioneer-se-a1000-vs-takstar-hi-2050-open-headphones#post_9812151

Best Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back