The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Nov 1, 2012 at 7:01 AM Post #227 of 4,701
Quote:
is 325 an upgrade to HE300?sorry for the OT

BTT: those who have Pro80 ,  if you want more body to the bass and more control, recable them with Proco cable.  I like the result its a night and day difference.

The Grado 325 is brighter than the sun. The treble hurts my ears. I even prefer, and I am not exaggerating, my $30 Koss Portapro to the 325. Actually, I recently sold the last of my Grados, the SR225i. I used to LOVE my old SR60 but haven't been able to get that same feeling from the fancier Grado models. No more Grado for me. Very uncomfortable and a really strange sound signature, and that's coming from someone who's record collection consists of 90% rock & metal. 

And watch out with the "night & day difference" remarks. Before you know it you end up as a meme. :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/571326/meet-typical-headfier-andy/

Nov 1, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #228 of 4,701
Well, you can always say that "meme" thing but for my ears, it is really a night and day difference. Let me borrow the same words you used. I am not exaggerating either.
beerchug.gif

Nov 1, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #229 of 4,701
Quote:
The Pro80 is the best cheapo i have encountered, going up from those you will need to throw at least 300 $ after s pair of phones and I am not really sure it will be an upgrade more a sidestep, I have been hunting cheap phones the last 6 years and have heard almost the complete Superlux catalouge and most of the Takstars, Kanen and 5 or 6  of other brands, got about 30 pair of cheap phones, lots of them really stinks to put it nicely, but Superlux and Takstar deliver very good quality at a very nice price..

To me the best bang for the buck is Takstar, they are not better in SQ than the Superluxes but they are prettier and more comfortable..
The only downside to Takstar products is that they are made for asian heads and tend to be a bit small for european heads..

thanks claus - just curious, what $300+ headphones of yours do you think these are comparable to? i'm getting the feeling i should just save up for a nice/more expensive pair (thinking the DT880s or senn 650s) for the sake of my time/money, though there is something alluring about finding bargain priced sound.

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM Post #230 of 4,701
To me the Beyer DT880/Senn 650/AKG701 the old classic toprater, does nor really bring much improvement over the cheaper bunch..

If we move another step up the likes of JVC DX1000/Audeeze/HiFimen/Stax/HD800/T1 etc etc you get an improvement that is worth while, if it is worth the extra money is another question and not something I can decide for others than myself, so I have decided to get some of the heavyweigthes and have fun with the cheapline, much cheaper than buying all the expensive ones..

So IMO if you are going to save for a GOOD phone do so, but do not go for the midpriced ones, go for one of the >500$ phones otherwise stick with the cheapos, the difference between a good Chinaphone and a 300$ phone of the more normal brand is not big enough to justify the extra 200$..
It is only my oipnion of course, others may have other views on the subject..

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #231 of 4,701
The pro 80 in my own experience, it provides me with details that I've never heard before. I own a HD 650, and still it can't provide me with such nice microdetails that pro 80 has :D.

Nov 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #232 of 4,701
Just got the Technical Pro HPT 990 which is basically a rebadged HI2050.  I'm bowled over by the sound and build quality of these cans for the price so far.  Very nicely metal Beyeresque forks.  They have a slightly tighter clamp than my DT770s but still really comfy. 

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #233 of 4,701
I got my HI-2050 cans yesterday, only took 3 weeks to arrive.. They sound pretty good as I am only familiar with automobile speakers (MB Quart, Focal, etc), and for the price I have a big grin. Only problem is that my ears, although inside the pads, touch/rub every part of the pads. If anyone has a URL for the Fischer pads, it is much appreciated.

Nov 10, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #234 of 4,701
I haven't had a lot of experience with a ton of headphones but they can definitely hang in the same league as the DT770 Pros and ATH-M50 that I also own.  The only open cans I own are the portable AKG K422s and they are most definitely a step up from them.  They have pretty tight bass but isn't as prominent as either the DT770 or M50.  The midrange is more pronounced as both those as well.  For highs, details are very good but not quite as much as the M50s which run hotter.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #235 of 4,701
Paired a ODAC+o2 amp with the Takstar.

After initial comparisons, the sound signature of the Takstar is close the dt880. My complaint about the Takstar is that the treble is somewhat on the bright side but nothing a little EQ can't fix.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #236 of 4,701
Quote:
Paired a ODAC+o2 amp with the Takstar.

After initial comparisons, the sound signature of the Takstar is close the dt880. My complaint about the Takstar is that the treble is somewhat on the bright side but nothing a little EQ can't fix. Also, Does the 2050 use the same drivers as the DT880? Read somewhere that they did, but I'm not sure.

I'm fairly sure the Takstar does not use any Beyerdynamic (DT880) parts.
I would think it's more likely Beyerdynamic would sue Takstar for copying the look of Beyer's headphone design.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #237 of 4,701
I'm so weak
gs1000.gif

Could not resist the temptation to learn more about the pro 80 any more so I just ordered a pair.

I really hope they have a little more bass than my Brainwavz HM5.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:28 PM Post #238 of 4,701
The do not Share pads with Beyers that well,
They do with Brainwavz HM5 and that is some lovely pads on the HM5, I have HM5 pads on mine or it is a pair of Fisher pads, but to my knowledge they are identical..
It is a good match and you should try it..

DT880 is using 40 mm drivers and 2050 uses 50 MM IIRC, so the driver is not the same either, the cupholder looks very much alike, but has a shorter "stem" than the beyers and are not as wide..

So no really copying more a borrowing of design and look..

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #239 of 4,701
I just got these. They sound very nice :)

They are comfy too, most headphones hurt my ears, glad to say these do not.

They are as comfy as my dt-770.

They block noise a little bit, but they are pretty much open headphones.

Highly recommended for being so cheap as well.

Comes with an extension cable as well and a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter.

Here are some pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

Back