The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Nov 21, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #4,411 of 4,701
I've never heard the pro 80's--though I share your reluctance to listen to overly bright headphones.

I can, however, comment on the ISK MDH9000's. They're exactly the same in every detail (that I can detect) as the Marantz Pro MPH-2, which is clearly a re-badge of the ISK (one of several). I've been listening to my thoroughly burned-in Marantz' for 1-2 weeks and really like them. BTW, the bass is excellent--relatively flat (to my ears). If it's all boosted in the bass, it's a very shallow boost that doesn't favor mid-bass over lower bass. The midrange is well above average IMO, and the treble has lots of detail w/o being sibilant or bright. They just sound good to me: balanced, composed, and accurate in a good way. The earpads definitely don't need changing on these (I have other pads, but see no reason to put them on). I think the stock pads are comfortable & perfect for these headphones..

I've heard them on 4 headphone amps (+/- built-in DAC), including: FiiO 10K; Matrix M Stage HPA-1; Lake People G109A; Burson Soloist amp/preamp. They sounded good throughout.

The worst thing I could say is that these headphones don't have much of that spacious, 3D soundstage character that open-backed headphones (and some closed-backs, too) can do.

I hope you'll like the ISK MDH9000's as much as I like the Marantz.

Thanks for your input.it.does make me feel better lol...good news they just shipped frm aliexpress. Im pretty excited to try them out, hopefully they show up in a few weeks. Its a good think im married lol otherwise i would have a $500 a month budget for headphones lol. Im still curious on the soundmagic hp150s though. I dont expect a huge soundstage on any closed back though...if i want soundstage for classical thats what my senny 598s are for. I mainly want a closed back pair for other times when open back will not be suitable wuch as when traveling or the odd time at work

Nov 22, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #4,412 of 4,701
Guys sorry to make so many posts but i did some critical listening with my kingston hyper x after the minor mods and they are actually quite a bit better, so much so that im actually enjoying them and it mostly fixed the sibilant and peaky treble almost like an eq was applied. It smoothed the entire frequency band ever so gently and brought the mids a bit more forward which i liking. It seems the hyper x already have a foam in front of the driver but is thin and very porous, after removing i used the plastic peice that holds the driver in as a template to cut fabric which was than placed over the bare housing/ driver. The plastic retaining ring with the attached foam was than put back in place directly over the fabric. The fabric used was the black spandex fabric from and old center channel speaker. I was going to use my wifes nylons which im sure would also work but might have been slightly thin...but im sure others could experiment. I than put the stock pads back on and used tissue paper rolled up behind and under each plether pad (between the driver ring and the pad in the rears) it angled it a bit and lifted it off my head a bit leaving a few mm for ear breathing room and soundstage improvemnts. I also have the hm5 full pleather pads coming as i cannot stand the hm5 hybrid pleathers...they changed the sound for the worst.

Nov 22, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #4,416 of 4,701
Nov 22, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #4,417 of 4,701
I found this by a quick google search:
http://www.takstar.com/news/detail-1-745

From what I can read and imply, using google translate, it's a new model that was first presented in that exhibition back in March. That's a long time back.....

Nov 23, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #4,418 of 4,701
Interesting...the bass ports look great aswell. On a side note i got my full pleather hm5s pads in today, installed on pro 80s and once again cant stand the sound, thought it would help over the hybrids. To anyone that is intersted in installing hm5 pads on the pro 80s it makes the treble very artifical and sibiliant...reduces midrange by a large margin aswell. The only benefit is the soundstage and comfort but i cannot stand the changed sound overall. They sound much better with the stock hyper x cloud pads, its amazing of the differnce.

Nov 27, 2016 at 6:50 AM Post #4,421 of 4,701
I own the Takstar pro 80s in the HyperXcloud form (pink), the Takstar hifi 2050s open back, and most recently Senn 598 HD Open Back. I prefer Takstar hifi 2050s over the pro 80s, and I think most would due to the open back and better detail. The Senn 598 HD open (and i say open cause they made a closed version now) is better, but worse build quality. Either way, I'm excited about the Takstar Pro 82's. The bass switch will make things different for those who can't control it bass in a different way. 

Nov 27, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #4,422 of 4,701
My biggest concern with the Pro82 is that they've shrinked the driver size to 40mm. I'm really looking forward to hear impressions of them though....

Dec 1, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #4,424 of 4,701
Yea, why did they shrink the driver on the Pro 82's? Even the Takstar HD2000 are even smaller and slimmer than the Pro 80's and they carry a 50mm drivers inside.
confused_face.gif

Dec 2, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #4,425 of 4,701
I don't see why some of you are obsessing about the driver size. The size of the driver makes no difference, only the implementation does. Like there is no headphones from other manufacturers with smaller drivers that sound better than Takstar?

Somic shrunk the driver size in their flagships too and people state that it's still an improvement over the previous generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back