The Takstar, Technical Pro, Gemini Greathon, CyberX, Qpad Thread
Apr 12, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #4,156 of 4,701
  Yes, perfectly. They can be purchased here https://world.tmall.com/item/13601871974.htm?spm=a312a.7700718.1998025129.1.5UrH1L&id=13601871974&pvid=38f219f3-4cb6-45cf-87b9-a73c940351df&abbucket=_AB-M32_B8&acm=03054.1003.1.587829&aldid=gffHVCq8&abtest=_AB-LR32-PR32&scm=1007.12559.21524.100200300000000&pos=1
I don't really recommend HI2050 velour earpads for them. They change the sound signature for the worse IMO: less bass, more exaggerated high. Leatherette pads suit them much better.

They're the one headphones I'm not so critical on sound on, thought he HyperX seem to be tilted a bit more towards the bassy side of things.  I'll check out the 2050 pads and the HM5 velour.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Apr 12, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #4,157 of 4,701
You might want  to consider changing the pads instead of the headphones. Brainwavz HM5 pads comes in velour and are deeper thatn the stock Takstar velours giving much more space, just a thought.....

Hi ! thank you very much indeed. I will try them for sure.
However i think i will go for models with circular and big earcushions that sits around the ear.
This oval shape ... i hate it ... why in the earth they make oval headphone when the drivers are circular ?
Thanks a lot again.
gino

Apr 12, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #4,159 of 4,701
  Because ears are more oval in shape than circular :)

Hi ! thanks a lot for the explanation
so the Stax Omega, Audeze, HIFIman have all a basic flaw in their design ? 
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif
  Seriously ... for me a circle is the perfect shape.  Oval is a circle deformed. Squeezed.

Speaking of these Kingston i wonder if the HM5 angle pads could give a more spatial sound. 
I see that they are really good quality.  But in Europe they cost more than the HP 
frown.gif

But the stock Kingston are just too small ... they press the ear too much.   I like instead the sound. It is more organic that the Takstar 2050.
Both beautiful indeed.  Great HPs.
Thanks a lot, gino 

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:30 AM Post #4,160 of 4,701
Sure...headphones you mentioned have a round housing. All of those are also a lot bigger headphones than takstars. If takstars were round the cups would have to be bigger. I'm sure most people prefer lighter and cheaper(bigger headphones->more material expenses) vs bulky round headphones.

Apr 12, 2016 at 8:48 AM Post #4,161 of 4,701
Sure...headphones you mentioned have a round housing. All of those are also a lot bigger headphones than takstars.

Hi ! sure.  But they are also very top quality.  Maybe also size matters if really great sound is the goal ?

Quote:
If takstars were round the cups would have to be bigger.
I'm sure most people prefer lighter and cheaper(bigger headphones->more material expenses) vs bulky round headphones.

Uhmm ... maybe.   I can only tell you that Kingston stock earcushions are quite umcomfortable and i have average ears.
They can be very good for persons with small ears.    I like when the cushion surrounds the ear.
But it is just me.  However no problem at all if Takstars were bigger.
However i have bought another pair of hi2050 with velour pads ...
i remember them being much better in terms of comfort.  I wonder if they sell the velour pads as spare parts.
Great brand indeed Takstar/Isk.
Thanks again for the very valuale advice
Have a nice day, gino  

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #4,162 of 4,701

Hi ! thanks a lot for the explanation
so the Stax Omega, Audeze, HIFIman have all a basic flaw in their design ? 
rolleyes.gif

wink.gif
  Seriously ... for me a circle is the perfect shape.  Oval is a circle deformed. Squeezed.

Speaking of these Kingston i wonder if the HM5 angle pads could give a more spatial sound. 
I see that they are really good quality.  But in Europe they cost more than the HP 
frown.gif

But the stock Kingston are just too small ... they press the ear too much.   I like instead the sound. It is more organic that the Takstar 2050.
Both beautiful indeed.  Great HPs.
Thanks a lot, gino 

Imo oval or round is a matter of personal preference. I've got no issue with either on them but normally the round ones are more bulky if they're not on-ears. 

I'm using the HM5 pads (both angled and regular as well as velopur and pleather) on a few different headphones and the regular velours does lose out a bit in the bass department but I don't fell the same way about the angled ones. YMMV of course since we're talking about fit and ergonomics here.....

Edit: I just read your last post and I'm pretty sure that I've seen the Takstar velour pads on AE earlier. Was a while ago though.......

Apr 12, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #4,163 of 4,701

Hi ! sure.  But they are also very top quality.  Maybe also size matters if really great sound is the goal ?

Electrostatic headphones like stax have large drivers and audeze and hifiman are planars which also are usually bigger than traditional dynamic drivers. You can't fit that kind of drivers in small housings. 

I'ts not all about the size of course... but large closed headphones tend to sound more like open than the smaller on-ear headphones. There is more space for the sound to dissipate inside the cups, there is room for dampening materials and other acoustic treatments etc. With open headphones size is not that essential. You just need the headphones to be big enough to fit comfortable pads. High end grados are a good example...Housing itself is small but the pads are large enough to be comfortable. 

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #4,164 of 4,701

Imo oval or round is a matter of personal preference. I've got no issue with either on them but normally the round ones are more bulky if they're not on-ears. 
I'm using the HM5 pads (both angled and regular as well as velopur and pleather) on a few different headphones and the regular velours does lose out a bit in the bass department but I don't fell the same way about the angled ones. YMMV of course since we're talking about fit and ergonomics here.....  

Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful reply.   
If i understand well the angled pads can help to keep the sound more spatial. But there are no velour angled pads.  So i have to decide if to sweat or to get nervous.  
I like the sound of the head. My dream HP are the hd800 and they have angled drivers.  So it must be a very good concept. 
 Edit: I just read your last post and I'm pretty sure that I've seen the Takstar velour pads on AE earlier.   Was a while ago though.......

Very interesting !!!  what is AE ? 
Thanks again, gino 

Apr 12, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #4,165 of 4,701
   Electrostatic headphones like stax have large drivers and audeze and hifiman are planars which also are usually bigger than traditional dynamic drivers. You can't fit that kind of drivers in small housings. 
I'ts not all about the size of course... but large closed headphones tend to sound more like open than the smaller on-ear headphones.
There is more space for the sound to dissipate inside the cups, there is room for dampening materials and other acoustic treatments etc.
With open headphones size is not that essential. You just need the headphones to be big enough to fit comfortable pads.
High end grados are a good example...Housing itself is small but the pads are large enough to be comfortable. 

Hi again and thanks a lot indeed for the very interesting advice.
if the HPs are too heavy this is indeed a problem.  But if there are only big no because i listen from the sofa.   
My dream dynamic HPs are the hd800 ... sublime ! never heard by the way.
I listened to the Omega but not in ideal conditions and with bad music i did not know. But they must be good. 
I am sold on angled drivers concept and these cheap HPs do not have angled drivers.  I understand that this arrangement helps in keeping the sound out of the head. 
Thanks a lot again,  gino   

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #4,166 of 4,701
Hi and thanks a lot for the very helpful reply.   
If i understand well the angled pads can help to keep the sound more spatial. But there are no velour angled pads.  So i have to decide if to sweat or to get nervous.  
I like the sound of the head. My dream HP are the hd800 and they have angled drivers.  So it must be a very good concept. 
Very interesting !!!  what is AE ? 
Thanks again, gino 

AE = Aliexpress

Brainwavz used to have the angled velour as well. My favorite pads for the Fostex T50rp, I really hope they're not discontinued since I need a new pair......

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:25 PM Post #4,167 of 4,701

AE = Aliexpress   

Thanks a lot.  I will look for sure.  

Brainwavz used to have the angled velour as well. My favorite pads for the Fostex T50rp, I really hope they're not discontinued since I need a new pair......

seen now on ebay.com  
wink.gif
   they cost almost like the HPs ... but they look very well built.   

Apr 12, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #4,168 of 4,701
Thanks a lot.  I will look for sure.  

seen now on ebay.com  :wink:    they cost almost like the HPs ... but they look very well built.   

My pleasure.

I cannot find them on the Brainwavz site so I'll check eBay, thanks. I rellly need to get myself a new pair and yes they're quite expensive (but also very nice :wink: ).

Edit : that eBay price is too high right......

Apr 12, 2016 at 9:15 PM Post #4,169 of 4,701
  You might want  to consider changing the pads instead of the headphones. Brainwavz HM5 pads comes in velour and are deeper thatn the stock Takstar velours giving much more space, just a thought.....

I use the Brainwavz HM5 pads for my Clouds. I have the velour and protein ones and they both sound pretty good, the protein ones being the ones I use primarily.

Quick question for you guys, I really like the Clouds for gaming, but I like to use the Brainwavs AP001 amp when I connect it to my Dualshock 4. This gives me more bass than I think I can handle, is there an open-back version of the Takstar Pro 80's that you guys prefer/recommend? The open-back I use now is ATH-TAD500, but I'm curious what else I could be using.

EDIT: Nevermind. I switched out the protein Brainwav pads for the velour ones. Opened up the soundstage a bit and reduced the bass enough to compensate for the amp. Don't know why I didn't think of that before...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back