The Stax Thread III
Aug 4, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #24,166 of 25,623
This should be it's own thread. Don't let this get buried here.
...on a related note, I'm cross-posting here simply in order to reach a wider audience:

Now that I have some direct T2 experience, I'm at the point where I've heard more than enough top builds.

All the DIY builds I've heard have been built by Soren Brix, who continues to be amazing.

Yet the question surely lingers for many of us: What sonic differences are there between the same amps made by different builders? To my knowledge, there is not a single 'published' direct comparison of an Eksonic T2 versus one by George, or Soren, or any other builder for that matter. The same goes for, let's say, Carbon builds, Megatron builds etc.

I love my builder's amps, yet I have never heard another builder's amps, so what exactly is the point of such limited experience...? We estat lovers are doing all this writing online, without a crucial data point. My opinion is that without builder comparisons, we're living inside Plato's allegory of the cave.

So here's an invitation: If you're based in Europe, within driving distance to me, and you have DIY builds you're happy with, ping me and let's see whether we can meet up and compare build(er)s. I'm happy to take my Stax show on the road and learn from you, too :)

Aug 4, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #24,167 of 25,623
You guys are a great source of answers! I've read that tubes are great for electrostatic headphones, but I never liked tube amps sound. Find them slow and too warm in amplifier for speakers. If it's also the case for headphone amps, I should really be looking for a KGSS or KGSSHV to fit my taste.

But there are a SRM-717 and a SRM-727a for sale here right now. Not mod by spritzer, so not a real KGSS and no CCS or HV, but I'm wondering if it's a good fit and future proof. Can spritzer mod it eventually if I need to? Is using a voltage transformer with those a big deal? What are you thoughts on those?
Spritzer has a T1 modded for a good price, around 850 dollars. It is a good start to try. When i started (recently) with my 009 i bought on ebay a srm-1 and a srm t1 just to see differences between tubes and transistor with my stax. I think tubes are better with electrostatic.

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #24,168 of 25,623
Thanks. I have my t1 in surgery now for revision and ccs modules
Congrats, did you go for T1m4 (modification level 4 i.e. CCS + ECC99 tubes)?

Aug 4, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #24,169 of 25,623
Congrats, did you go for T1m4 (modification level 4 i.e. CCS + ECC99 tubes)?
first, i thank you for advice. and i pruned for level 4 modifications. i love stock tubes but i asked to @Firschi about sound with ecc99. so I trusted and took the leap in the dark by choosing ecc99

Aug 4, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #24,170 of 25,623
It’s out of his price range.

I think your signature is getting too long for us mobile folk…
That just goes to show how influencial y'all are - making me grow my collection on a regular basis. It has nothing whatsoever to do with my late-night Ambien-influenced shopping addiction....

Aug 5, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #24,171 of 25,623
First impressions are just wow with this amp and the Lundahl transformers… So much power on tap for any gain level while still having excellent noise floor. Cannot wait to see what the real frequency bandwidth is for them now. Lifted the lid for a look around and order a few bits to redo the thermal interfaces, calibration and benchmark it…

The OCD of Japan in 90s was ridiculous… Bitumen everywhere with teflon tape for vibration reduction (not sure I buy into that haha), the very best of Nichicon and ELNA capacitors topped off with a 13kg Tamura transformer…

IMG_4352.jpegIMG_4349.jpegIMG_4348.jpegIMG_4355.jpegIMG_4356.jpegIMG_4354.jpeg

Aug 5, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #24,172 of 25,623
first, i thank you for advice. and i pruned for level 4 modifications. i love stock tubes but i asked to @Firschi about sound with ecc99. so I trusted and took the leap in the dark by choosing ecc99
It will be very nice! I have the very same modified version and it sounds very well.

Aug 5, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #24,173 of 25,623
...on a related note, I'm cross-posting here simply in order to reach a wider audience:

Now that I have some direct T2 experience, I'm at the point where I've heard more than enough top builds.

All the DIY builds I've heard have been built by Soren Brix, who continues to be amazing.

Yet the question surely lingers for many of us: What sonic differences are there between the same amps made by different builders? To my knowledge, there is not a single 'published' direct comparison of an Eksonic T2 versus one by George, or Soren, or any other builder for that matter. The same goes for, let's say, Carbon builds, Megatron builds etc.

I love my builder's amps, yet I have never heard another builder's amps, so what exactly is the point of such limited experience...? We estat lovers are doing all this writing online, without a crucial data point. My opinion is that without builder comparisons, we're living inside Plato's allegory of the cave.
I've heard 3 OG T2's from 2 different builders plus an earlier pre-Eksonic Kerry T2. What matters is the transistors & boards (usually these go hand-in-hand). This is what crafts the amp's sonic signature, and it makes a more significant difference than any amount of tube rolling, which IMO has relatively mild effect in these hybrid amps (same goes for BHSE). I noticed the same phenomenon with like 4 versions of KGSShv - all sound fairly different. They're more alike each other than say to a KGST or BHSE, but it's more difference from the "same" circuit than you might expect. The KGSShv with 500V IXYS parts and onboard heatsinks (I believe this was the first version) is my favorite there, btw.

On the 2 OG T2's from different builders, I'm going on memory but they give me almost exactly the same feeling. So I'd say they're 99% alike. The 2 from the same builder, one has premium resistors & wiring and IMO this doesn't make a lick of difference - and I say that as someone with an extensive collection of very expensive audiophile cables. So all 3 OGs (same boards, transistors, and chassis), I consider basically the same quality of sound. The Kerry T2 sounds a bit different (but still more alike the other T2's than any non-T2 amp), and this impacts how things plays with optimal headphone matches and your personal preferences. I really gravitate towards 009, 404LE and he90 (going on memory) with the OG T2 as my favorite. But I think there's a strong case for 007 Mk 1, ES1a, and L700 matches preferring the Kerry T2 (note the pattern here - all 3 of these have bass which can get a bit "overdeveloped" on the OG T2). Depending on preferences. Also keep in mind this was not the current Eksonic version. Can't answer about more modern flagships, because I don't have 'em :)

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #24,175 of 25,623
Balanced vs RCA inputs, do the balanced have any sonic advantages? I currently only have one source with balanced outputs ( plus rca), a PS Audio Link DAC III.

Aug 5, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #24,176 of 25,623
Balanced vs RCA inputs, do the balanced have any sonic advantages? I currently only have one source with balanced outputs ( plus rca), a PS Audio Link DAC III.
Nothing really noticeable in my opinion unless you’re doing long cable runs with a lot of noise potential.

Main advantage I’ve found is most DACs output significantly higher voltage with balanced outputs which means less gain is required in the amplifier, which improves SNR / noise floor. That is assuming the amplifier has true balanced inputs in the first place…

Aug 6, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #24,177 of 25,623
I had power wires and RCA wires running in parallel in my first audio system years ago and that induced hum into the system, but not into the XLR wires I also used. Rewired and only using XLR since. No hum or any other distortions since....

Aug 6, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #24,178 of 25,623
I'm always surprised how some are skeptical of the benefits of balanced designs despite the ability to introduce audible hum in single ended systems through interference that disappears if you go balanced.

People are willing to spend tons of money putting pucks on top of devices, lifting cables off the floor, buying ultra expensive audiophile ethernet cables, etc. I'm way more wary of those trinkets adding value than balanced designs.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #24,179 of 25,623
I'm always surprised how some are skeptical of the benefits of balanced designs despite the ability to introduce audible hum in single ended systems through interference that disappears if you go balanced.

People are willing to spend tons of money putting pucks on top of devices, lifting cables off the floor, buying ultra expensive audiophile ethernet cables, etc. I'm way more wary of those trinkets adding value than balanced designs.
I’m not skeptical, I know balanced is “technically” superior, but that doesn’t mean the problem exists in the first place in most environments to necessitate balanced connections though… It’s one thing to say use balanced connections if you already have the hardware at minimum cost, it’s another to tell people to blindly upgrade their sources and amps, just to use balanced connections at a massive cost…

Then you need to look into if the device topology is actually balanced end to end internally or they just have XLR connections for convenience or audiofool marketing BS…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back