The Stax Thread III
Jul 28, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #24,136 of 25,592
Jul 28, 2023 at 9:09 PM Post #24,138 of 25,592
Many thanks to those who recommended e-earphones in Akihabara. Had a day off from my meetings and went down to Akihabara to snag a pair of L700s. Had a listen before buying and was quite pleased. Hopefully my Stax amps at home will drive them nicely. Now just have to wait a week until I am home to really enjoy.

Sad to see the listening stations at Yodobashi empty.

Jul 28, 2023 at 10:11 PM Post #24,139 of 25,592
I only want a 300B Stax amplifier. Anything else can kick rocks :beerchug:

Lets call it, The "Ultimatum 300B Estat amplifier"
Pair it with some ELROG ER300B or Western Electric 300B or pick your choice and we good to go. :L3000:

Jul 29, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #24,140 of 25,592
I only want a 300B Stax amplifier. Anything else can kick rocks :beerchug:

Lets call it, The "Ultimatum 300B Estat amplifier"
Pair it with some ELROG ER300B or Western Electric 300B or pick your choice and we good to go. :L3000:
Soon.....

...and it has a name, but it's not going to be "Ultimatum".

Jul 30, 2023 at 2:47 PM Post #24,142 of 25,592
Inspired by the recent Lambda-series love, I finally tried these Lambda 404LE (which I kept forgetting I own lol) on my T2. OMG! This is such a fun, lovely, juicy sound. They were slightly lean sounding next to L700 on other amps (DIY HE90-Balanced) but they're a dead-on perfect balance here. Endlessly listenable. Just makes you keep wanting want to listen. Especially on good vinyl. Holy cow, this is my new favorite toy for the week, maybe longer.

The old headband was shot so I had to sub in my L700 Mk 1 headband. It's a creaky / squeaky mess here, but at least it clamps & seals & holds for now. Ordered a L700 Mk 2 headband.

This summer I've sort of undertaken a "find the fun" journey across my large MC cartridge collection, since I'd been noticing my favorite listens aren't always the most expensive / high-end models anymore. The Lambdas are analogous to this. They're fun.

IMG_1182.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #24,143 of 25,592
Inspired by the recent Lambda-series love
Protoss got to educate these distractors.
Too many pompous, fake, so call individuals think they got it right but they are brainwashed by greed and price gouging snake oilers. I am on to them and they know it.

Thats why they cry and say, please protoss, stop the madness 😆 🤣

Aug 1, 2023 at 6:25 AM Post #24,145 of 25,592
Schizophrenia? Hallucinations, Delusions, Disorganised thinking.
With a touch of bipolar disorder? unusual shifts in mood, ranging from extreme highs (“manic” episodes) to lows (“depressive” episodes). A person who has bipolar disorder also experiences changes in their thinking, behavior.

Edit: Oh, I forgot OCD tendencies, also. - common, chronic, and long-lasting disorder in which a person has uncontrollable, reoccurring thoughts ("obsessions") and/or behaviors ("compulsions") that he or she feels the urge to repeat over and over.
And narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) - Regularly upset other people, Think they are always right, Crave attention and admiration, Exaggerate their talents and achievements, Talk about themselves A LOT, Have wide, fast mood swings, Have a hard time taking others’ feelings seriously, Want to win, whatever it takes
Even cretins can win the lottery

I did get some inspiration from his take on the Mega-Tron mkII (https://www.head-case.org/forums/to...hone-amplifier/?do=findComment&comment=713274) where his mastery is found in the driver stage. Something like an aperiodic impedance modified CCS.

Did the same mod on a carbon output stage and it does sound a lot more to my liking this way - as if the mids are becoming more tube'ish. A better fit for the x9000 I'd say.

Aug 2, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #24,147 of 25,592
Going to be a glorious evening of testing… Sansui Alpha AU-907MR driving my Lundahl transformers… 33Kg of Japanese muscle and engineering excess… 0.003% rated THD, 300khz frequency response range (because why not apparently haha).

The copper feet alone weigh over 1Kg… :upside_down: :beyersmile:

IMG_4327.jpegIMG_4325.jpegIMG_4323.jpeg
I had one sansui. Great times...

Aug 3, 2023 at 12:19 PM Post #24,148 of 25,592
Hi you all,

I never was a big headphones listener, but with new life changes, I needed a good pair of headphones. I went to the Montreal audio show to listen to a lot of different models, and I quickly found out that I loved electrostatic. I then went to a store to listen to l500 and l700, and I liked the smoothness of the l500 better. So I recently bought a used pair of l500mk2 with a srm-252s on this site to see if I can adjust to headphone listening. I'm pretty amazed at the sound so far, and I discovered that I love listening to headphone much more than I thought. I use the crinacle convolution filter with Roon that I found on the jaakkopasanen github, which also made the sound more pleasing to me.

But the sound is still several notches below my main speaker setup, so I'll probably go on the upgrade path soon. What should be my upgrade path? I'm thinking about buying a better amp first, so I can eventually get a pair of headphones that requires more power than the l500. I'm I right here? If so, what are the amp I should look at?

Budget around 1-2k for the amp, ideally something I can find second hands.

My source is a Linn streamer.

Thanks for your insight.

Aug 3, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #24,150 of 25,592
Well folks, I didn't think I would ever post here.
Ordered my first electrostatic headphone amplifier.

I always thought I'd be buying Stax headphones with it.
Not the case for me...
I've been told to try the ES Labs Es-1a, so I am looking to buy one used.
Also going to hopefully try the Nectar Hive X, Perun Live Sound, and Perun Rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back