The Stax Thread III
Jul 26, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #24,121 of 25,589
Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #24,122 of 25,589
According to these measurements they are different and this because of different pads (according to INEXXION).

The pads are the same on the 009 and 009S, so I strongly doubt that STAX created one-off pads off the 009BK, which came out between the other two. Why would they go to the trouble of creating new pads, not use them on the 009S, and tell everyone the 009BK and 009 are identical?

The marketing materials for the 009S made it sound very much like it has new pads. I wanted to try the new pads on my 009, so I spent quite a bit of effort trying to get a pair. Finally, heard directly from STAX that the 009/009S pads are identical.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #24,123 of 25,589
When discussing stats with non-stat fans i've found the following helps:

Broad estat generalisations
(a) 007 – most dynamic sounding
(b) ES1A – most planar sounding
(c) 009 – most classical “estat” sound people expect
(d) X9K – next evolution of estat sound

Mapping to observation of preferences / current stable (i.e. (a) 007 will be preferred by fans of audeze and ZMF vs the other Staxes)
(a) Audeze, ZMF
(b) Abyss, Audeze, Final, Focal
(C) Hifiman, Raal, Focal
(D) Hifiman, or people who own at least 2 of the above

Pls feel free to critique / refine all!
Interesting analysis, I dig it and tend to agree. Maybe I would say 007 is both the least microdynamic but also one of the better in macro contrast, but less slammy than ES-1a down low, so all-in-all fair enough to say it's one of the more dynamic STAX's - takes a lot of power and headroom as well to unlock that.

I do think why I like the ES-1a so much is that I actually feel it portrays music very much like a Dynamic driver more so than a planar... but upon thinking a bit more, it's true that its dry mids and generally faster decay mids-to-highs is more akin to a Planar timbrally. But then again, I just find it to have estat mids-to-highs and Dynamic driver type of bass. Without EQ, it's pretty mediocre, but post EQ it's very nice but still Hi-Res due to low distortion numbers and good harmonic properties of the driver action.

Seems the Omega-style build is what allowed STAX to voice a bouncier/ more layered bass with nice overtones.

On another note, I may not get to hear Omega after all, as one of the drivers seems to be arcing. Wonder if I should attempt at servicing it with my friend... stressful affair.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jul 26, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #24,124 of 25,589
Interesting analysis, I dig it and tend to agree. Maybe I would say 007 is both the least microdynamic but also one of the better in macro contrast, but less slammy than ES-1a down low, so all-in-all fair enough to say it's one of the more dynamic STAX's - takes a lot of power and headroom as well to unlock that.

I do think why I like the ES-1a so much is that I actually feel it portrays music very much like a Dynamic driver more so than a planar... but upon thinking a bit more, it's true that its dry mids and generally faster decay mids-to-highs is more akin to a Planar timbrally. But then again, I just find it to have estat mids-to-highs and Dynamic driver type of bass. Without EQ, it's pretty mediocre, but post EQ it's very nice but still Hi-Res due to low distortion numbers and good harmonic properties of the driver action.

Seems the Omega-style build is what allowed STAX to voice a bouncier/ more layered bass with nice overtones.

On another note, I may not get to hear Omega after all, as one of the drivers seems to be arcing. Wonder if I should attempt at servicing it with my friend... stressful affair.

Sorry to hear about the Omega. To my ears the OG is brighter, retains (and expands upon) es1a's grand stage and large sonic images while exceeding it significantly in detail retrieval and clarity this is not only a product of the brighter tuning imo - the OGs the mesh stators get to work. OG seem more tonally dense, but a has bit less slam vs the es1a, but is punchier though

The SR-Omega (to my ears) is one of the most adaptable phones out there, can play multiple genres, and suite different moods - some tracks it is laid back, soothing and smooth, on others its agressive, in your face....

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:25 PM Post #24,125 of 25,589
With 007 Mk 1 (had two 71XXX pairs), it felt like the bass had been boosted at the expense of treble and overall sensitivity. It was very good quality bass, but still feels like that was the tradeoff made. I would also echo @Schelp san 's observation that a T2 nicely wakes up the 007 Mk 1, while somehow (dual nature) also filling in the missing midrange warmth and bass fill for a 009 (though Megatron does even more here, as per his observations).

With speakers, that's the classic tradeoff: bass versus sensitivity (bass frequencies requiring massive sizes to achieve high sensitivity levels), and there too I generally find myself in the camp for higher sensitivity :)

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #24,126 of 25,589
The pads are the same on the 009 and 009S, so I strongly doubt that STAX created one-off pads off the 009BK, which came out between the other two. Why would they go to the trouble of creating new pads, not use them on the 009S, and tell everyone the 009BK and 009 are identical?

The marketing materials for the 009S made it sound very much like it has new pads. I wanted to try the new pads on my 009, so I spent quite a bit of effort trying to get a pair. Finally, heard directly from STAX that the 009/009S pads are identical.

Stax were going through some difficulty a few years back with pad suppliers. They went through several afaik, so there very likely were differences in pads just based on that alone. Even without this, Stax have a thing for making changes without telling anybody about it, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if pads are different from one revision to the next, or even in the same version, unannounced.

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #24,127 of 25,589
Just chiming in that as expected an isolation transformer got rid of all the hum I was getting with the SRD-7 + Lambda Pro. For whatever reason step up/down transformers were a lot cheaper than isolation transformers. Isolation transformers are like $200 whereas I got this step up transformer for $32 and now as a bonus I have a way to convert voltages around my house. The SRD-7 works perfectly fine on 220v btw. I stepped up from 110. Total silence now.

Jul 26, 2023 at 6:15 PM Post #24,128 of 25,589
Stax were going through some difficulty a few years back with pad suppliers. They went through several afaik, so there very likely were differences in pads just based on that alone. Even without this, Stax have a thing for making changes without telling anybody about it, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if pads are different from one revision to the next, or even in the same version, unannounced.
Agree,
With this reasoning, I will redefine the 009BK idea from pervious post.

Using the "headamp" quote of being the same is just too shallow. So that quote in last page is dismissed.

The bottom line: Stay away from 2011 to 2016 009. The veterans all know why.

With slight revisions and proper build order, anything after 2xxx units are the best buys. Hence, the best buys will be after 2xxx and 009BK. Obviously, there are lucky souls with og 009 just like x9000 (cough... driver abomination repeats again).

I mention dozens of time and even mention it a few pages, it most likely placebo. Don't need headamp to know this lol. But because of stax quality driver issues, and so many dead 009 drivers, we can easily assume with additional knowledge, the stability of the drivers is the key. And with this I can say the 009BK most likely the best of the best batch of 009 you want to own.

Silent revision
Your welcome 🤗

Jul 26, 2023 at 9:14 PM Post #24,129 of 25,589
Just chiming in that as expected an isolation transformer got rid of all the hum I was getting with the SRD-7 + Lambda Pro. For whatever reason step up/down transformers were a lot cheaper than isolation transformers. Isolation transformers are like $200 whereas I got this step up transformer for $32 and now as a bonus I have a way to convert voltages around my house. The SRD-7 works perfectly fine on 220v btw. I stepped up from 110. Total silence now.
Yeah I dropped to 110v with a step down and got the same. The 2 way diode bridge in the bias limits the voltage anyways hence why they don’t care about input voltages. Not sure why the hum is even a thing on pro vs normal bias but I guess either to do with the half wave rectification or some sort of loop.

When you do the Lundahl setup though I would do it service with a better bias setup and one less thing at your feet taking up room.

Jul 26, 2023 at 11:42 PM Post #24,131 of 25,589

Attachments

• ES-Lab-ES-1a-frequency-response-Red-measured-Green-corrected.jpg
    ES-Lab-ES-1a-frequency-response-Red-measured-Green-corrected.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 0
Jul 27, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #24,132 of 25,589
I have been trying to find specific information about the Stax SR007, SR009, and SR Omega headphones, x9000, particularly in regards to their electrostatic driver size.

Has anyone here come across this information, or does anyone have an educated guess on this matter?

Jul 27, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #24,133 of 25,589

Anything is possible, but I'm not convinced. If true, never replace the pads on an 009BK, I guess.

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #24,134 of 25,589
Here my 2 cents about 007 (some redundancy of content with earlier posts).

When I heard first time a 007A (Mk2) in a shop in combination with SRM007tA, it sounded weird. Not that weirdness level like ATH-W5000, but certainly something went wrong in the tuning. I remember worst macro dynamics, muddy bass and the mids indeed completely wonky. This was in 2014 and I was sure I would never get in touch again with this 007 thing. Beginning of 2016 I read Stax “fixed” the 007, so not much later I gave it another chance. Same 007tA in the shop and indeed, obviously 007 was fixed and despite the limitations of 007tA, I liked it – and bought it. So the change in tuning was probably somewhere in 2015. I applied the port mod soon, which made the bass a bit tighter and smaller and brought back the Stax fart. But there was an issue with the treble, a strong peak in the region of I would say 6-7 kHz, which dominated the treble. Reading in the forums and found out I was not the only one noticing this. Corrective action in form of the “spring mod” was easiest possible. Just bend the spring which holds the pads a bit (forgot which direction). Now the peak was completely gone (at least I notice it not anymore) and I thought the missing treble energy was nicely spread into a wide frequency range. Tuned this way I say this 007A is a great headphone that gets my headtime, similar as 009 and X9000. Treble is balanced with very good resolution, dynamics and a little bit of sparkle. Bass is full and punchy with good extension, and this makes a difference compared to 009 and X9000. Precision of bass and overall agility is improving with amplification in a more significant way compared to former headphones, but it never reaches 009/X9000 level. Midrange in comparison is recessed and in case of my 007A I think not just evenly recessed, but this unevenness I perceive is not too much pronounced (for my taste). I think on the one hand the recessed midrange, the overall density of the sound in combination with this unique bass presentation and never stressing treble is appealing for many. But especially the midrange can also be a deal breaker for others. For me on certain days this is exactly the headphone to go, and when switching after a period of listening time to 009 or X9000, I´m almost shocked by how bright and anemically I perceive them. The next day I grab 007 again and no, they might not work for me and I clearly prefer one of the others.

I think a well driven 007 can also work as a “firewall”, at least I´m not tempted to look somewhere in the corner of the planars as for me 007 has enough of what they do best.

Not too long ago I could compare a 007 Mk1 70XXX with my 007A (driven by Megatron and Carbon). I agree with those attesting Mk1 the more even and homogeneous midrange, and I can understand if some because of this prefer Mk1. But IMO this evenness comes at a price. I think Mk1 is overall less macro dynamic and alive sounding. Bass has less punch and although the treble is well extended and I would say even, but it is also kind of subdued, not to say sleepy. Both share the same overall sound signature though. I did not feel the need to hunt a Mk1, but others maybe would. 007A might have the advantage that it sounds appealing “already” on something like a SRM007tA CCS 6S4A, I think a dedicated power plant with a tuning on the “fresher” side is not that much needed to wake it up like I would say this for Mk1.

I hope Stax´ next release would be something like a X7000 :)

Jul 28, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #24,135 of 25,589
I have been trying to find specific information about the Stax SR007, SR009, and SR Omega headphones, x9000, particularly in regards to their electrostatic driver size.

Has anyone here come across this information, or does anyone have an educated guess on this matter?
AFAIK, Diameter of the diapraghm is: 007/009: 80 mm, SR Omega: 90 mm, X9000: 20 % more area than 009

Users who are viewing this thread

Back