The Stax Thread III
May 24, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #25,622 of 25,850
I love my L700s to be honest, if I want darker and punchy headphones, I go back to my Klipsch HP3s and party mode. That said the X9000s are on my radar now as I climb the ladder (If i stop spending money on transformers and amps). That said Corina has my interest also but cannot own them all…

IMG_9801.jpeg

Have you experienced the open Fostex models by any chance?

It's interesting this Klipsch open back bio cellulose came before the new Fostex.

Nice to see that model in picture! Quite rare now

May 28, 2024 at 11:16 PM Post #25,624 of 25,850
It seems spritzer has been busy. He recently listed an electrostatic CFA on his website. Supposedly warmer and more powerful than the KGSSHV. The CFA has been around for a bit for dynamic headphones, but I haven't seen much about the electrostatic variant of the design.

May 28, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #25,625 of 25,850
It seems spritzer has been busy. He recently listed an electrostatic CFA on his website. Supposedly warmer and more powerful than the KGSSHV. The CFA has been around for a bit for dynamic headphones, but I haven't seen much about the electrostatic variant of the design.

Sounds very interesting.

May 29, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #25,626 of 25,850
Strange. The original CFA-E was designed as a lower cost alternative to building a kgssHV for the DIY community. Reviews on the original design on head case indicated it was inferior to the kgssHV (still obviously good). It seems Birgir has modified the circuit and now it’s more powerful (vague term…).

Well, in the very least it’s good to see a return to the mini KgssHv size. Those should really be a mainstay on his site.

Looks like the glossy face plate carbons have also become a causality, similar to the Eksonic chrome.

May 30, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #25,627 of 25,850
Hi, John. Yep, I was the bloke! Nice to see you here, too.

Roger, those output transistors are very impressive in the Carbon.
I was Chesky's first engineer from 1980 through 1996 when I moved from New York to Florida. Yes, I'm a long time user of Stax. I am not familiar with Stax's SRM monitor.
I really need to thank you. With your EQ, CRBN becomes one of the best headphones I’ve ever heard. Simply amazing.

May 31, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #25,628 of 25,850
I could really do with some advice from the forum. After a 5 or 6 year break I decided to try eStat's again and bought a pair of SR007 Mk2's. I also purchased a Mjolnir KGST not realising it would be too big for my intended desktop use! So I moved the KGST on and tried an iFi Phantom to drive the SR007's (would have preferred an iESL but they are quite rare now). Quite liked it and now I have it on home dem. It sounds good with the SR007's and also with the various dynamic 'phones I own. Thing is though it doesn't make the SR007's stand out particularly and I can't see why I would keep those instead of my HE1000SE's and other 'phones. So my question here is am I giving the SR007's a fair chance or should I be looking at (bear in mind it's for a desktop) a dedicated eStat amp? @spritzer has the new CFA amp and also a modified Stax SRM-727 which he describes as a "mini KGSSHV" - both of which sizewise would work. Would using one of those (or even a SRD-7 Lundahl - I've got an amp to drive that) prove the "superiority of the Stax" or should I just abandon the experiment and sell the SR-007's? Thanks in advance.

May 31, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #25,629 of 25,850
I could really do with some advice from the forum. After a 5 or 6 year break I decided to try eStat's again and bought a pair of SR007 Mk2's. I also purchased a Mjolnir KGST not realising it would be too big for my intended desktop use! So I moved the KGST on and tried an iFi Phantom to drive the SR007's (would have preferred an iESL but they are quite rare now). Quite liked it and now I have it on home dem. It sounds good with the SR007's and also with the various dynamic 'phones I own. Thing is though it doesn't make the SR007's stand out particularly and I can't see why I would keep those instead of my HE1000SE's and other 'phones. So my question here is am I giving the SR007's a fair chance or should I be looking at (bear in mind it's for a desktop) a dedicated eStat amp? @spritzer has the new CFA amp and also a modified Stax SRM-727 which he describes as a "mini KGSSHV" - both of which sizewise would work. Would using one of those (or even a SRD-7 Lundahl - I've got an amp to drive that) prove the "superiority of the Stax" or should I just abandon the experiment and sell the SR-007's? Thanks in advance.

Maybe you would prefer the Lambda series so L300/500/700mk2. There is a popular audio reviewer ZReviews. He says he prefers the Lamba series because the 007/009 sound like "regular headphones" to him.

May 31, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #25,630 of 25,850

For the 007 you’ll need the KgssHV at minimum. IMO not even the modified 717/727 will do (although they sound fine with most other estats). Otherwise it’s as you described, they sound just okay.

No one has heard the CFA-E build that Birgir has created. I feel the price is about $750 too high because a used kgsshv (even the ones he made in the same smaller size) sell for $2000-2200. Also alternative builders are selling full carbons at $3500 which would really make your 007 sing.
That said, it likely fits your needs.

May 31, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #25,631 of 25,850
Ah yes the SR 007, lovely headphone but it's one the most hard to drive estat on the market. (Hifiman Jade II is a close second one).
If you're from europe I recommend to try the High-amp Alpha Centauri which is specially designed to drive the Stax SR 007.

Last edited:
May 31, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #25,632 of 25,850
Which is specially designed to drive the Stax SR 007.
The Blue Hawaii was also specific designed for the 007. Don't have to buy the BHSE. Can find one used if you really look.

May 31, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #25,633 of 25,850
I appreciate the replies so far. I need to emphasise that I'm looking for a desktop amp. The Full size BHSE/ Carbon/ KgssHV are too big. This requirement might change in the future but, at the moment, I have no shelf space for a full size model. There's a mini KgssHV on eBay UK at the moment - but it's priced unrealistically imo, so the CFA-E is currently the only realistic option but, like @Chefguru says, it's pretty expensive.
@jody2k - I'm in the UK (almost Europe :slight_frown: ) but, as above, the Alpha Centauri is too big.

May 31, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #25,634 of 25,850
I appreciate the replies so far. I need to emphasise that I'm looking for a desktop amp. The Full size BHSE/ Carbon/ KgssHV are too big. This requirement might change in the future but, at the moment, I have no shelf space for a full size model. There's a mini KgssHV on eBay UK at the moment - but it's priced unrealistically imo, so the CFA-E is currently the only realistic option but, like @Chefguru says, it's pretty expensive.
@jody2k - I'm in the UK (almost Europe :slight_frown: ) but, as above, the Alpha Centauri is too big.

There are no other options due to the psu size constraints. CFA-e it is then, congratulations on being the first and be sure to tell us how you like it.

May 31, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #25,635 of 25,850
There are no other options due to the psu size constraints. CFA-e it is then, congratulations on being the first and be sure to tell us how you like it.
At Spritzer’s advice I first got an SRM717 as a recommendation as I was not ready to go with any smaller custom amps. I found it did help my
SR-007mk1 show off the phone’s capabilities. Eventually I ended up with the Aeras by Eksonics. Chassis size is shoebox size which was one of Kerry’s design goals. As one of the top custom builders he is one of the go to builders for a T2 build that uses a slightly smaller chassis since 2015. The Aeras definitely has some T2 DNA in its design.
Excellent solution but possibly jumped out of your price range.

Maybe Birgir has some other options coming up at a friendlier price point.

I really enjoy my 007mk1 like never before.

Good luck, don’t give up the quest.

Attachments

• IMG_3398.png
    IMG_3398.png
    969.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3895.jpeg
    IMG_3895.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back