The Stax Thread III
Dec 31, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #23,101 of 25,496
I have multiple pairs from the 70s without any issue, so they hold up well - but if you don't cover them you're just playing Russian Roulette.
I agree 100% with above. With over a dozen Stax (vintage & newer) and a few other other brand electrostatics I have had no issues or problems at all.

Not too many headphone companies can make that rarified statement.

Happy New Year 🎊🎈🎆

Dec 31, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #23,102 of 25,496
is it easy to get dust out at all if it does happen?
The drivers themselves are protected by a membrane to keep the dust off them. They are delicate and can be damaged easily if you are too aggressive cleaning them.
See here for a start of a discussion on this.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/page-1467#post-16889060
And here for more about the topic:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-stax-thread-iii.677809/page-723#post-13122759

P.S. Happy New Year to all of you!!! :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #23,104 of 25,496
In memoriam:

IMG_20220226_191544890_HDR.jpg
SR-007 Mk.1 with Mjolnir SRD-7 eStat Transformer and bel canto e.One c5i (very good).

IMG_20220308_182550215_HDR.jpg
SR-007 Mk.1 with Mjolnir (special) KGSSHV (even better).

IMG_20220322_095956371_HDR.jpg
Lone, amp-less (and transformer-less) SR-L500 Mk.2.
As a sad quiet overwhelmed the room with silence.

Jan 2, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #23,106 of 25,496
Always coming back to Novem amp/Mjölnir Audio with NOS Mullard input tubes , sounds really nice with X9K, looks good after i switched a silver colored potentiometer to it. Warm tube sound but still presents all details

IMG_1652.jpeg

Jan 2, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #23,107 of 25,496
Always coming back to Novem amp/Mjölnir Audio with NOS Mullard input tubes , sounds really nice with X9K, looks good after i switched a silver colored potentiometer to it. Warm tube sound but still presents all details

Thinker, I know you’ve share your thoughts before and with me privately - but your analysis is that the Novem sounds better with the x9000 than the Carbon, correct?

I will chime in with notes on the x9000 with the Novem later this week once my amp lands.

Jan 3, 2023 at 2:46 AM Post #23,108 of 25,496
Thinker, I know you’ve share your thoughts before and with me privately - but your analysis is that the Novem sounds better with the x9000 than the Carbon, correct?

I will chime in with notes on the x9000 with the Novem later this week once my amp lands.
I wasn't sure about Novem first but realized later that it needs "burn in " in time at least 2-3 months as many other tube amps do. The tubes are critical, i would avoid the JJ ecc99 gold pin output tube and use the normal silver pin instead. Input tubes are also critical, NOS Mullard has been excellent. New tubes like Gold Lion etc should be avoided.

The Carbon is brutal with X9K , super controlled amp with controlled detailed headphone , to my ears catastrophic end result, or you should use smooth tube front end to balance it out. The Novem is very musical with right tubes and sounds "clean" with X9K.

If Mjölnir ever build Novem again a hint more output current would not be a bad idea if it's possible to do. I also like the looks of this amp, a champagna colored faceplate would look nice.

Jan 3, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #23,109 of 25,496
I wasn't sure about Novem first but realized later that it needs "burn in " in time at least 2-3 months as many other tube amps do. The tubes are critical, i would avoid the JJ ecc99 gold pin output tube and use the normal silver pin instead. Input tubes are also critical, NOS Mullard has been excellent. New tubes like Gold Lion etc should be avoided.

The Carbon is brutal with X9K , super controlled amp with controlled detailed headphone , to my ears catastrophic end result, or you should use smooth tube front end to balance it out. The Novem is very musical with right tubes and sounds "clean" with X9K.

If Mjölnir ever build Novem again a hint more output current would not be a bad idea if it's possible to do. I also like the looks of this amp, a champagna colored faceplate would look nice.
@spritzer 🙏

Jan 6, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #23,111 of 25,496
Hi all, I have an l700mk2 and 400s coming today. Quick question, I have a TOTL abyss tc setup and use an upgraded audioquest powe cord (link below). But it’s designed for 15a, I assume it won’t work to use with the stax 400s (which looks like it requires 20a). Not a big deal either way but would like to know, so I don’t risk damaging the stax amp by using this power cord. Thanks for any info, much appreciated

https://www.hideflifestyle.com/prod...aGBozhuD0kOjZ-lgKlPXKUWVKDlDOjXBoCpD4QAvD_BwE

Jan 6, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #23,112 of 25,496
Hi all, I have an l700mk2 and 400s coming today. Quick question, I have a TOTL abyss tc setup and use an upgraded audioquest powe cord (link below). But it’s designed for 15a, I assume it won’t work to use with the stax 400s (which looks like it requires 20a). Not a big deal either way but would like to know, so I don’t risk damaging the stax amp by using this power cord. Thanks for any info, much appreciated

https://www.hideflifestyle.com/prod...aGBozhuD0kOjZ-lgKlPXKUWVKDlDOjXBoCpD4QAvD_BwE
Why would you think the 400S is 20A? Product pics show a normal C15 IEC. Anyways, at 30 Watts consumption, it's way way below any PC's limits. Your PC will work fine, though that 10 AWG "high current" model (all that AQ's "Zero" tech means is the 3 legs are individually shielded for low inductance) was optimized for Class AB power amplifiers and power conditioners - it'll work fine here, but it's way overkill for what is probably a near constant-draw of 30 Watts. Also its weight + stiffness might cause the amp to tilt. These cords are very annoying to work with. However, I do like them on very expensive power amps.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #23,113 of 25,496
Why would you think the 400S is 20A? Product pics show a normal C15 IEC. Anyways, at 30 Watts consumption, it's way way below any PC's limits. Your PC will work fine, though that 10 AWG "high current" model (all that AQ's "Zero" tech means is the 3 legs are individually shielded for low inductance) was designed for Class AB power amplifiers and power conditioners - it'll work fine here, but it's way overkill for what is probably a near constant-draw of 30 Watts. Also its weight + stiffness might cause the amp to tilt. However, I do like those cords on very expensive power amps.
Thanks! Very helpful. Yeah it’s probably overkill, I bought it to use with a much more expensive Gilmore cfa3 amp

Jan 6, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #23,114 of 25,496
I've had my L300 for close to a week now and only today I noticed a little popping sound on both sides when turning the SRM-252S energizer off. Is this to be expected? For context, I'm using a Jameco 12v power adapter with a reverse polarity plug, if it helps.

Thanks!

Jan 6, 2023 at 3:04 PM Post #23,115 of 25,496
I've had my L300 for close to a week now and only today I noticed a little popping sound on both sides when turning the SRM-252S energizer off. Is this to be expected? For context, I'm using a Jameco 12v power adapter with a reverse polarity plug, if it helps.

Thanks!
Yes, it's normal

Users who are viewing this thread

Back