The Stax Thread III
Mar 29, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #21,991 of 25,565
you need a 6 pin socket for regular bias headphones. so that is going to be a problem.
Thank you Kevin Gilmore and thanks everyone else, particularly KD. I do have a spare SRD-7 and bought a 6 pin socket off eBay a couple months ago in anticipation of needing one, so hopefully that schematic will help my amp guy.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:37 PM Post #21,992 of 25,565
Question for the future. Should dust somehow settle on the driver(the sides facing away from the ear), what would the safe way to clean and keep clean the stator? Or the pores? A gentle pc vacuum? I keep them in Stax headphone covers. The L-700 on a wood stand, the L-300 laying down inside the Stax cover until my other headphone stand arrives. I def want to keep them in top top shape for life.
I use a small pen type vacuum that are used to clean keyboards.
Thanks! 🙌🏻 I didn’t know if the suction could cause damage to the membrane.

!

You want to avoid exerting undue stress on the faces of the drivers. The membranes that seal both sides of the sandwich are dust covers intended to keep debris out of the assembly and are fairly thin and delicate. If they're punctured or torn, any number of problems can develop.

Personally I'd avoid that part of the driver entirely and clean around it if cleaning is needed. IIRC the cages on the new lambdas are easily removable to make your job simpler, just a few screws to come out.

Mar 29, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #21,993 of 25,565
!

You want to avoid exerting undue stress on the faces of the drivers. The membranes that seal both sides of the sandwich are dust covers intended to keep debris out of the assembly and are fairly thin and delicate. If they're punctured or torn, any number of problems can develop.

Personally I'd avoid that part of the driver entirely and clean around it if cleaning is needed. IIRC the cages on the new lambdas are easily removable to make your job simpler, just a few screws to come out.
Ohhhh I see, definitely good to know. Thanks 🙌🏻

Mar 30, 2022 at 5:04 AM Post #21,994 of 25,565

Let me tell you this - they are extremely fragile. Even a brush will puncture them if hit under a certain angle. Stay away from any suction devices or brushes. If they are punctured or torn, you can pronounce the ESL unit dead as it 'will' start sizzling due to microscopic dust getting into it.

I've been reading about the 007Mk2 and I have a feeling this might be the perfect model for me, going to audition a 007mk2 and 700T this weekend.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #21,995 of 25,565

Let me tell you this - they are extremely fragile. Even a brush will punture them if hit under a certain angle. Stay away from any suction devices or brushes. If they are puntured or torn, you can pronounce the ESL unit dead as it 'will' start sizzling due to microscopic dust getting into it.

I've been reading about the 007Mk2 and I have a feeling this might be the perfect model for me, going to audition a 007mk2 and 700T this weekend.
Definitely glad to learn about these nuances of this alien to me driver type before I accidentally do something stupid. The L-300, and 700mk2 simply sound astounding. Don’t want anything to happen to them. Bad thing about them however is 1: losing sleep jammin way past when I should zonk out, and 2:….. now most my other headphones just don’t sound as amazing as they used to 😅. Takes time to adjust to electrostatic sound signature though. They literally don’t sound like anything else.

Mar 30, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #21,996 of 25,565
This arrived today. An early birthday present. I am going to be using them with a SRM-1 MK2 until I can get all the parts to build a KGSSHV Carbon.

Stax_SR-007MK2.jpg

Mar 31, 2022 at 11:06 AM Post #21,999 of 25,565
Thanks for all your replies so far. I just phoned the man who would do the repair, and he said it might be that renewing the membrane on the left side might in the end result in an imbalance again, as then the right side might be quieter. No way to say before, so optimally both membranes would have to be renewed - which of course doubles the cost. At the moment, this seems a bit over the top to me, just to get rid of a relatively slight imbalance...

Any more tipps on how this could be resolved otherwise?
i'd just live with the imbalance and use the centering volume knob to deal with it but keep the repair guy's details in case in years to come it becomes a big problem

i thought my 300LEs were imbalanced a bit but after asking others if they heard the same with negative results and a hearing test months later i discovered one ear hears less than the other ...so the cans are perfect but my ears aren't ... thank goodness for a stax energiser and the centering volume

Mar 31, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #22,001 of 25,565
May I present the newest member of the high-amp.de family of amps for STAX - the ELECTRA, which I got to test, as I already own his SIRIUS transistor amp, as well as his ANTARES tube hybrid.

Technical data and measurements of ELECTRA is here at its maker, Andreas Rauenbuehler’s site:
http://high-amp.de/html/elektra_offer.html

Did a bit comparative A/B/C listening: Electra sounds a bit rounder and fuller as the drier sounding Sirius, closer to the Antares tube hybrid amp. Superb for Jazz and Vocals / Acoustic music; also great for Pop/R&B music.

The Sirius however is superb for Rock, Electronic, HipHop, Metal where more kick and a colder + drier sound is needed / liked. Classic also sounds good with the Electra but the Sirius has an edge above it at very complex forte passages.

ELECTRA runs quite cooler and needs no warm up time; it has XLR abd RCA inputs as well as both XLR / RCA passive loop through outputs.

36251AE1-4B2E-44EC-A23C-34C1AD3AC20F.jpeg

Looks fabulous ... by any chance does it have a split volume control like the Stax Amps ? as my right ear needs a higher volume to match my left

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #22,002 of 25,565
Nope, it does not, but usually a pre-amp allows that, als well as some streamers do. And ROON does, too.

Mar 31, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #22,003 of 25,565
Just sold my SR-007 Mk.1 (serial 70x . . . ) and KGSSHV.

The amp was a "one-off" that I bought from Mjolnir. Due to grounding issues in my circuit (of which Birgir forewarned me), the amp hummed. It hummed from a grounded outlet with a PowerVar conditioner. Sometimes it would stop humming for long stretches, then start humming again.

Rather than pay more than I perhaps wanted in order to resolve the hum (i.e. pricey power conditioner or isolation transformer), I decided instead to sell.

Aside from the hum, undoubtedly the best headphone/earspeaker listening experience ever for me.

Did keep the SR-L500 Mk.2, though (which sounded exceptional with the KGSSHV, BTW), and might just pick up a 353X and call it a day.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #22,004 of 25,565
Sad to hear that, twas surely a nice system you had!:slight_frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back