The Stax Thread III
Mar 20, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #21,961 of 25,602
Holy hell, this song though the srs-3100, why… why didn’t I spring for Stax sooner? Could’ve saved a lot of money. But then again missed the journey. I don’t regret.
The treble attack, well attack period is so fast. From what I’m seeing, Stax is one of the only affordable high quality electrostats. Thanks to the SRS-3100 I have to say after cycling through my headphones. Most of them feel dull now….. this is the entry model…..entry.

It's actually fun to go back for previous headphones in the journey and keep wondering how much more detailed the Stax are and why I though the other were good at the time? And again, what next?

Mar 23, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #21,962 of 25,602
Wow, the NB Sigma is not bueno with SRM1/MK2. Super hot on the treble running from a modern DAC. Hard to describe....brash, gritty? Maybe with a tube DAC but this doesn't match so well.

Or maybe this is how they're supposed to sound? Reminds me of the Lambda Pro - nice mids but so hot on the treble. :xf_eek:

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:20 PM Post #21,963 of 25,602
Or maybe this is how they're supposed to sound? Reminds me of the Lambda Pro - nice mids but so hot on the treble. :xf_eek:
No, that's not how they're supposed to sound. The NBs (for me, on all devices) are smooth and sweet. Sparkly but not harsh. Though, true story, the first time I listened to an electrostatic was about 2 years ago with a NB Lambda off of an SR-X and an SRD-7 and I was hooked. But the next day my ears hurt. I wasn't listening loud, but it exercised my weaker treble muscles so intensely that I did feel it the next day and had to work my tolerance up.

Never heard a SRM/Mk1 though, so perhaps it drives the balance in that direction. I have 2 NBs and neither feels overly hot or bright. Sparkly yeah, but smooth.

My EC Electra is currently in the shop to get one of the 2 Pro outputs converted to Normal so I can hear them on that beast. I think it will sound like a much wider BH Stat but who knows.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #21,964 of 25,602
Hello there. I am thinking of acquiring a used STAX tube amplifier under $1000. What would be the best choice please ? I am lost in the sea of many models over the past years.... I personally prefer the classic tubey/thick/warm/bassy sound and as little hum as possible. My headphones are actually Koss ESP950 so I would also need to get the adapter as well. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:46 PM Post #21,965 of 25,602
Bb
Hello there. I am thinking of acquiring a used STAX tube amplifier under $1000. What would be the best choice please ? I am lost in the sea of many models over the past years.... I personally prefer the classic tubey/thick/warm/bassy sound and as little hum as possible. My headphones are actually Koss ESP950 so I would also need to get the adapter as well. Thanks.
you might wish to consider a Stax Transformer like the SR-7 Pro and use that with a tube amp of your choice.

Mar 24, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #21,966 of 25,602
For that you could get a used SRM-T1 converted to use ECC99 tubes and using CCS (constant current sources). Mine sounds pretty good (of a few amps for Stax in comparison) :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 1:18 PM Post #21,969 of 25,602
Did a small mod to the Sigma, replaced the rotten foam woth the current woven mesh grilles you get with EP234 etc. no more itchy ears from fiberglass. Super fiddly job though, the grilles have to be glued into the Sigma frames as otherwise they'll just fall inside the earcups.
Tamed down the highs a bit as well but they are still too hot for me.

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #21,970 of 25,602
Did a small mod to the Sigma, replaced the rotten foam woth the current woven mesh grilles you get with EP234 etc. no more itchy ears from fiberglass. Super fiddly job though, the grilles have to be glued into the Sigma frames as otherwise they'll just fall inside the earcups.
Tamed down the highs a bit as well but they are still too hot for me.
thin foam over the driver? Different or more damping material. Almost hard to imagine the glass in contact with your ears. Are you saying it's proximity, allergic?
tubes match nicely with Lambdas; warmer. I have the SRM-1MK2 and nb don't seem hot...then again mature ears. Never heard dog whistles, never will.

edit added link https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/stax-sigma.13100/
some info there on damping material

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #21,971 of 25,602

Have u considered something new from high amp?

Mar 24, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #21,972 of 25,602
Yep, the ANTARES would certainly be a great choice! Wonderful warm tube amp it is...happy to have that too.

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:04 AM Post #21,974 of 25,602
this setup works very well with my iPhone 7 as well through the micro usb in. A bigger / desktop DAC instead of the D10 is expected to have issues indeed, and the more expensive apple adaptor with the extra connection for charging would be required, as you'd get a "this device requires too much power" message on screen (tried also with an Iphone 12 Plus, 13, etc.)

Mar 25, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #21,975 of 25,602
Screenshot_20220325-181431.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220325-183206.jpg
    Screenshot_20220325-183206.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back