The Stax Thread III
Mar 18, 2022 at 5:35 AM Post #21,946 of 25,592
Can someone point me to new earpads for SR-Sigma? These are different than the current EP-207/407 for sure, also the EP207's come with a woven mesh grille that falls into the metal plate the ESL panel sits in in the Lambdas. I'm pretty sure that won't work with the Sigma.
Last but not least, should I bother in trying to find an SRM-1/MK2 or T1 or is the SRD-7 with a good amp plenty good?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #21,948 of 25,592
Can someone point me to new earpads for SR-Sigma? These are different than the current EP-207/407 for sure, also the EP207's come with a woven mesh grille that falls into the metal plate the ESL panel sits in in the Lambdas. I'm pretty sure that won't work with the Sigma.
Last but not least, should I bother in trying to find an SRM-1/MK2 or T1 or is the SRD-7 with a good amp plenty good?
You can leave out the protector mesh or find a way to secure it to the pads. EP-507 is thinner and closer to the original, but much more expensive.
You don't want to drive Sigmas with a cheaper, less powerful amp as they become very warm and soft, an SRD-7 should be a bit better.

Mar 18, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #21,951 of 25,592
Question….. I’m new to electrostatic. When I say walk away, I turn the driver off. Is this kind of system with the electrostat and driver ok to turn on and off or is it like tube where best to leave on if away for like say 10 mins or so? Tubes I know don’t like cycling on and off. Is electrostatic the same way?

Edit: one thing I noticed unlike other headphones, shifting the headphones on your head with the L-300 doesn’t affect the sound unlike other driver types.
As always YMMV and IMO, but, If its only for 10 minutes I would just leave it on. It is still an amp that needs to warm up to reach equilibrium and "optimal" operating temperature. Some amps take longer than others to get to this point, how long the warm up period varies and I think best practice is to leave it on.
Heck even my little Schiit HEL takes a few minutes to warm up. Even if it were just and energizer powered off a speaker amp, it (and the speaker amp) would need time to warm up and reach Optimal working temperature.

Mar 18, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #21,952 of 25,592
should I bother in trying to find an SRM-1/MK2 or T1 or is the SRD-7 with a good amp plenty good?
Being a normal bias Sigma your options are somewhat limited. I just picked up an 007 yesterday and one of my concerns was if the SRM-1/MK2 I already have would be adequate. Happily it is with a Topping DX7 as a dac and flac files. Balanced inputs would be nice but line level works fine; not a long run. Seeing the upgrade path into a better amp seems less of a priority and more of an future upgrade option. There are few Stax amps that offer Normal and Pro. I have some GAS equipment that might pair nicely with a SRD-7 Pro. I do have the original Lambdas and a nb SRD-7. I never found it lacking except for the exclusion a pro bias circuit. I haven't used it since upgrading to the MK2.

Mar 18, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #21,954 of 25,592
May I present the newest member of the high-amp.de family of amps for STAX - the ELECTRA, which I got to test, as I already own his SIRIUS transistor amp, as well as his ANTARES tube hybrid.

Technical data and measurements of ELECTRA is here at its maker, Andreas Rauenbuehler’s site:
http://high-amp.de/html/elektra_offer.html

Did a bit comparative A/B/C listening: Electra sounds a bit rounder and fuller as the drier sounding Sirius, closer to the Antares tube hybrid amp. Superb for Jazz and Vocals / Acoustic music; also great for Pop/R&B music.

The Sirius however is superb for Rock, Electronic, HipHop, Metal where more kick and a colder + drier sound is needed / liked. Classic also sounds good with the Electra but the Sirius has an edge above it at very complex forte passages.

ELECTRA runs quite cooler and needs no warm up time; it has XLR abd RCA inputs as well as both XLR / RCA passive loop through outputs.

36251AE1-4B2E-44EC-A23C-34C1AD3AC20F.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #21,955 of 25,592
In addition to the pro bias of 580v the ifi iESL allows you to select 600v 620 or 640v. What would selecting a higher bias do to my Stax x9000 or CRBN headphones? Would it improve the sound or damage the drivers?

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #21,956 of 25,592
Let me know the colors of the smoke your X9000 and CRBN emits then… :wink:

Mar 18, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #21,957 of 25,592
Let me know the colors of the smoke your X9000 and CRBN emits then… :wink:
Really? Why would iFi include these voltages if they could damage your headphones? It's pretty easy to select one of these higher voltages by mistake. Fortunately, the iESL is a secondary system, but now I am really curious!

Mar 18, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #21,959 of 25,592
Thanks so much. There’s a lot of good information in this report.

Mar 18, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #21,960 of 25,592
Holy hell, this song though the srs-3100, why… why didn’t I spring for Stax sooner? Could’ve saved a lot of money. But then again missed the journey. I don’t regret.
The treble attack, well attack period is so fast. From what I’m seeing, Stax is one of the only affordable high quality electrostats. Thanks to the SRS-3100 I have to say after cycling through my headphones. Most of them feel dull now….. this is the entry model…..entry.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back