The Stax Thread III
Jan 16, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #23,131 of 25,565
Hey Stax gurus,

Just wondering if anyone has tried to do this mod to a Stax SRD-4 Electret transformer. I'm curious if its possible as I would like to get/make a better alternative to the ESP-950 box at a low price and SRD-4s are quiet common at low prices.
The SRD-4 is for electret not Electrostatic phones. The SRD-4 has no bias supply. Now if you can come up with an external source for 600v bias . The audio transformers should be fine for the Koss.

Jan 16, 2023 at 3:59 PM Post #23,132 of 25,565
The SRD-4 is for electret not Electrostatic phones. The SRD-4 has no bias supply. Now if you can come up with an external source for 600v bias . The audio transformers should be fine for the Koss.
Thank you, I wouldn't be doing the mod myself and I suspect that whichever local shop that I contract for this wouldn't be interested in figuring it out for me so I don't think that this'll work. Shame too because you can find SRD-4s for like $40 Canadian.

Interestingly enough, I did find a couple of posts that sort of indicated it was possible in this thread:
I had no idea!

At any rate, my normal-bias stats outnumber my pro bias stats by a large ratio. I actually own nothing that is cabled as a 5 pin pro-bias stax, since my pro bias items are an sr-001mk2 and an esp/950.

I have two SRD-7 and i figure that if i upgrade one of them to the Mk2 configuration i can use it (with adapters) with my esp/950 and baby stax, and any pro bias stats i may buy in the future. And if i upgrade the other one as well, I can sell it for substantially more money.

Converting the SRD-4 to an SRD-6/SB is just an academic exercise.

I might be amenable to selling boards after i complete my own projects but they won't be half as nice as Birgir's since they'll be home-etched and lacking the component side silkscreen and i don't have much interest for myself in supporting misc non-stax bias voltages. They might be half as spendy tho. I have a fair bit of copper clad fr4 and plenty of etchant. What is in question is my inclination to etch, cut, drill, and stuff boards.

I guess if there's interest from the entry-level stax crowd (of which i believe i am an elder statesman) in converting an srd-4 to a high bias energizer i could look into it. As was pointed out - just a few more doubling stages.

Yeah. And it's not hard to drill a hole in the SRD-4 enclosure and add a cable strain relief and lamp cord for an AC supply for the bias circuit, but the rotary switch would have to be upgraded as well i think.

Academic exercise, like i said.

I guess that bias circuit @ericj mentions is the external source you are mentioning?

Jan 16, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #23,133 of 25,565
For those that don't have a lot of experience in the vintage arena of Stax, I can not recommend the Lambda Nova Signature (1994~) enough. While it isn't as good as the Sr-omega, 007 or x9000, it does imo out perform the 009 and is dead even with the CRBN for me. Very forgiving and captures the e-stat sound advantages well, while also being one of the few models with full bass.

Compared to the omega the mid-range is not as organically clear (or rather it has a tiny bit of a nasal sound) and the soundstage is closer to the head. However, the timber and sound signature is similar.

Compared to the x9000, the mids are more forward and punchy. Separation and detail is not as sharp, but the diffused nature of it can be more musical.

Performed a good deal better on the Carbon than the all-tube Novem (similar power to KGSSHV), but I suspect that even on weaker amps it'll impress. On the Carbon I actually prefer the LNS to the x9k, since the power improved the LNS's layering but sterilized the x9k for me. That said I prefer the x9k/Novem > LNS/carbon.

Can't beat that value. Top 10 headphone for me.

IMG_8327.jpg

Jan 17, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #23,134 of 25,565
Cannot agree more, t’was my very first STAX headphones ever in the 90s and still impresses me ever since!! Not a bad start with STAX it was back then :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #23,136 of 25,565
Awesome
Do you prefer the LNS, lambda pro, or lambda NB?

I heard the Lambda NB recently and that also really impressed me
Padam here triggered me buying a Lambda NB and luckily enough I have amps with normal bias; found them a bit too “neutral”. The (my) Lambda Pro I prefer over them, but the LNS still has an edge over them. What I also like in my collection is the original first Signature.

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #23,137 of 25,565
Padam here triggered me buying a Lambda NB and luckily enough I have amps with normal bias; found them a bit too “neutral”. The (my) Lambda Pro I prefer over them, but the LNS still has an edge over them. What I also like in my collection is the original first Signature.
So your taste is ?

1. Lambda signature
2. LNS
3. Lambda pro
4. Lambda NB

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #23,138 of 25,565
Well it is rather:
1. Lambda Nova Signature
2. Lambda Signature
3. Lambda Pro
4. Lambda NB

PS: I see you use a PONTUS II R2R DAC -would you think this too has an influence on the overall sound signature of your chain?

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #23,139 of 25,565
Any problem with the foam on these deteriorating- especially considering the age?

Jan 17, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #23,140 of 25,565
Any problem with the foam on these deteriorating- especially considering the age?
Of course, some of mine needed replacements, which has been professionally done…

Jan 17, 2023 at 4:35 AM Post #23,141 of 25,565
Well it is rather:
1. Lambda Nova Signature
2. Lambda Signature
3. Lambda Pro
4. Lambda NB

PS: I see you use a PONTUS II R2R DAC -would you think this too has an influence on the overall sound signature of your chain?
Im not sure. I don’t really buy into the Dac differences, but I wanted a well made R2R dac so I went with the Pontus which seemed like a good value.

Jan 17, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #23,142 of 25,565
The problem with the LNS is the bow, which likes to break in the middle. But soundwise it is also for me a favorit of the Lambdas.
My list of these 4 would be:
LNS
Lambda Normal
Signature
Pro
and somewhere in between the 404LE

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #23,143 of 25,565
Well, in over 30 years of use I never broke or damaged any Stax headphone. Guess it is rather a matter of caring for things - or not.

The 404LE indeed I forgot, nice one too!

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:41 AM Post #23,144 of 25,565
Well, if you mean that owners of LNS care less about things, I will leave you this opinion. But what about those who own many different Lambdas and just the LNS has broken right at the welding? I know 3 people who had the same problem: 1 sold at eBay GB, one from open-end-music forum and me.
And Sören from Inexxon has known about this problem too.

Jan 17, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #23,145 of 25,565
Well, it strongly depends how you take them on/off I guess. If you use two hands it is rather unlikely, with one it is. There might be a product problem admittedly. None of my 15 STAXes or so I have/had showed any such problem ever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back