The Stax Thread III
Oct 14, 2019 at 6:56 PM Post #18,092 of 25,618
Well ... here are my initial listening impresions with the 009S v/s 009: the 009s must be softer, because with him I can work while listening music which with the SR009 I can't ! OK ... I agree it is not a very acurate report !

More seriously, with the 009s, I really have no regrets for the 007 that I just sold : the 009s is more pleasant than the 009 without losing the accuracy of 009. It is Easier for long listening sessions with soften treble .... the best of both worlds ... :) (but may be the new unbilical cable also have an impact ? I have the 2 changes made in parallel, and I do not want to come back to the old cable just to see which change impact most ...)

note: I will receive soon a quad of NOS Mullard xf2 EL34 carefuly tested and matched for me. I'm still waiting for them to finalize my "ultimate BHSE/Stax upgrade"
Lol, you're not done until getting the new omega flagship. :wink:

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #18,093 of 25,618
Heyho

I just bought l700 earpads to upgrade my l300 limited.
Unfortunately they don’t fit. It seems the pegs are little shorter or there is some obstruction.

Am I doing it wrong? Or do I need other l700 pads? It seems the mk ii l700 utilizes different earpads than the mk i. Is that right?

Oct 15, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #18,094 of 25,618
I had same fit issue with L700 pads on both my L300 and L300 Limited... would not stay put whatsoever, just come right out. Fixed by actually carefully removing the L700 leatherpad from its plastic base with pegs and switching it over to the L300 plastic base (after removing the L300 pads from its base). Not difficult just somewhat tedious to do.

Oct 15, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #18,097 of 25,618
One more stupid question:

My 353x has a RCA out. What would one use that for?
What could I possibly feed my 353x to, other than a pair of stax headphones?

It's a parallel out. It's just to allow you to chain equipment by sending the signal through to the next piece of equipment. My DAC has only one output, so I was running RCA to my Stax energizer and then out to my headphone amp. Also, because it's passive, you don't need to have the energizer on for it to pass through.

Oct 16, 2019 at 4:33 AM Post #18,098 of 25,618
I had same fit issue with L700 pads on both my L300 and L300 Limited... would not stay put whatsoever, just come right out. Fixed by actually carefully removing the L700 leatherpad from its plastic base with pegs and switching it over to the L300 plastic base (after removing the L300 pads from its base). Not difficult just somewhat tedious to do.

Update on my upgrade session.
So I was switching out the L300 ltd earpads with the L700 pads. The operation was easy enough, once I figured out I had to switch the plastic bases on the pads.
The comfort is noticeably better. I didn't have problems with the L300 ltd but the L700 pads feel smoother, softer and more premium. That, I like.

The L700 pads are quite a bit thicker, thus they increase the distance to the speakers creating a little more sense of space. The ear speakers seem wider now.
I liked how the L300 ltd had a very lively, sparkly -almost tingly, but never harsh- treble. Unfortunately, I have to crank up the volume a bit to get similar results with the new pads.
They sound much smoother and more laid back at the cost of detail/speed in the treble. It's like solid state vs tube, I guess.

To further elaborate, the L300 Ltd hit every note harder, strings are cleaner up top and the bass is tighter, with the stock pads. This for me has become “the stax magic”. The L700 pads take away a bit of that magic. Not enough to ruin them, but it’s a 200 usd trade-off that I see no point in.

I'll stick with the L300 ltd earpads and keep it completely unmodified. I guess I can't improve perfect

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 1:32 AM Post #18,099 of 25,618
New driver units announcement.

SRM-700T,SRM-700S

https://stax-international.com/products/srm-700t/
https://stax-international.com/products/srm-700s/

IpW58OT.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #18,104 of 25,618
No idea about the 700S amp, but the 700T amp seems to be the same circuit as the T1/006 circuit going back to the 1990s, except using a 6SN7 tube instead of the 6CG7/6FQ7. The 6SN7 has the same specs as the 6CG7/6FQ7 with the exception of slightly increased plate dissipation of the 6CG7 (5.7 watts combined) vs the 6SN7 (5.0 watts combined), although the 6SN7GTA/B has increased plate dissipation (7.5 watts combined). So it's just a slightly different flavor sound -really lazy "engineering," if you can even call it that, since you can do the same thing by using a 6CG7 to 6SN7 tube adapter plug. Also, I'm not sure why they are bragging about using WIMA capacitors since the T1/006 circuit is DC coupled.

Unfortunately, Stax has not seen fit to update the output section, which still uses resistor loads rather than the constant current sources that Stax uses in their solid state amps, so the drive capability remains significantly worse (340 VRMS at 1 kHz) compared to their solid state designs (450VRMS at 1 kHz). Substituting a constant current load for a resistor load in the output section would more than double the effective output capability while decreasing distortion. It's what I did with my SRM-T1 mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back