The Stax Thread III
Dec 28, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #7,546 of 25,542
hello, i am trying to rewire my japan version srm 323s and transform it to 240v. my question is how can i open plastic cup/case on transformer where i need to solder new wires. cut wires are too short to solder new wires directly to them without opening plastic case. i follow instructions from post http://www.head-fi.org/t/223263/the-stax-thread-new/15720#post_7530298
trying to open it but without success. don't want to apply power unless needed. i expect opened case would look like this http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/3a/350x700px-LL-3a493192_photo1.jpeg
thanks

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #7,547 of 25,542
  Ah, thanks! I was indeed referring to the test 2 years ago. I wasn't aware of the second one. Could you direct me to it? Thanks :)

I don't think there ever was a dedicated thread to that. You may find snippets of it in the Electra, BHSE, or even this thread unfortunately. We all kinda got lazy and didn't really post our thoughts in full a dedicated thread.

Dec 29, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #7,549 of 25,542
One of the reasons I plan on getting a KGSSHV Carbon Julian, is because I feel ( like you ) SS amps can be left on without worries, whereas I'd never leave the BHSE on unattended.

Regarding the K-01, as you know I no longer have it, but I'm not missing that source because the DAC I now have is extremely good, and to say it cost me £1850, it's without doubt the best bargain I've come across in audio, and by some margin.

That would have to be a Yggdrasil.......   
wink_face.gif

L3000.gif

beerchug.gif

Dec 29, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #7,551 of 25,542
Dec 29, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #7,552 of 25,542
Hi I post my EQ settings for 009.
with this EQ setting, 009 sounds darker and smoother/richer and analogue and completely fatigue-free
at same time remove thinness and brightness and add boldness
but this setting doesn’t sound electrostatic STAX house sound.so some people may not prefer this setting.
I personally prefer darker and smoother sound.

iPad
CDP: Marantz CD6005 optical out
EQer: Behringer DEQ2496 optical Toslink in/out
DAC: Marantz SA11S3 built in DAC with optical in
amp: Stax 727
phone: Stax SR-009

Graphic EQ(GEQ) bass boost settings
20hz: +5db
25hz: +5db
31.5hz: +5db
40hz: +5db
50hz: +5db
63hz: +5db
80hz: +5db
100hz: +3.5hz
125hz: +2db
160hz: +1db
>200hz: +0db

Parametric EQ(PEQ) treble cut settings
center FREQ: 17825hz
gain: -12db( you may change this number for your preference)
BW/OCT: 5( you may change this number for your preference)

ofcouse you can change any settings for your preference.
Thank you!

FYI some links.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-bob-katz-eqing-headphones-harman-target-response
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads

Dec 29, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #7,553 of 25,542
ah I forgot to mention one point.
why I cut 009's treble is because I found that stock SR009's treble level are too much over Harman target response curve about +5 to +15db(@19khz).
i guess this is one of the reason why 009's treble tend to sound hard and too bright and weird?.
so i did cut 009 treble. please check 009 raw FR graphs. then compare with Harman target response curve. pencil and paper and printer may needed.
you can find same thing if you check raw FR graph of 009.
thanks.
FYI some links you must read.
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/big-sound-2015-bob-katz-eqing-headphones-harman-target-response
http://www.innerfidelity.com/headphone-data-sheet-downloads you can download 009 raw FR graph here

Dec 31, 2015 at 2:19 AM Post #7,554 of 25,542
any of the amplifiers can be built if you know how to solder and you use the proper tools for the important stuff. simplest one I can think of is the octave? maybe the original kgst design as well.

someone built the t2 as their first amplifier but it's not recommended without assistance. if you don't know how to solder I recommend you get someone to hold your hand because working with hv isn't trivial

not sure about what other conceptions you might have but don't expect to save money by building these

Just a quick question.

Im pretty decent with a solder, but im complete rubbish at reading circuits etc etc as i did not do any electrical engineering whatsoever. I pretty much only completed the Torpedo 3 because the instructions by Doug makes it so that a 5 year old could theoretically complete it.

Would it be possible for me to build say a Carbon with golden reference psu? Given the boards?

Electrostastic amps seem to be less "Plug and play" compared with stuff like the bottlehead or T3. Alot more troubleshooting seem to be required.

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #7,555 of 25,542
I found EQ setting which add to sound Senhhiser house sound! aaaI finally reached headfi Nirvana lol.
(now I can save my wallet. i don’t need upgrade anymore lol I now can end this hell lol)
this EQ setting for 009 sound ultra yummy/scary real&musical/euphonic.
ps you need to set my post #7553 EQ setting too at same time.

parametric EQ(PEQ)
center Freq: 158hz
gain: +3dB
BW/OCT: 5 (its very wide from 20Hz to 2kHz wide)

EQer: DEQ2496 optical in/out
DAC: Chord Hugo with cross feed on(max)
amp: Stax 727
phone: Stax SR-009
picture:

I checked HD600/650/800 FR curve graph. They all have bass peak(about 200Hz +3db very wide).
and as we know HD650/600/800 rank #1,#2,#3 in headfi over ear headphone ranking.
so we have to admit that so many people prefer HD600/650/800 type FR curve.
this EQ setting add HD600/650/800 type bass&mid boldness/richness.
If you prefer HD600/650/800 then you may also prefer this EQ setting too. but every one have different preference so YMMV.
I personally think SR-009s FR curve is too flat for human ear/brain preferences IMO.
I think EQing is needed for SR-009 IMO.

B&K optimum curve for HIFI also have +3db bass boost and treble cut.

http://www.bksv.com/doc/17-197.pdf

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/headphone-measurements-explained-frequency-response-part-two

EDIT: please ignore my previous settings. now i use different setting.
please read below link. there is 009 FR curve which compensated Harman target FR curve. then EQ it to FLAT. thats my current settings.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/first-test-estimated-harman-target-response-curve-various-headphones

Dec 31, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #7,556 of 25,542

Just a quick question.

Im pretty decent with a solder, but im complete rubbish at reading circuits etc etc as i did not do any electrical engineering whatsoever. I pretty much only completed the Torpedo 3 because the instructions by Doug makes it so that a 5 year old could theoretically complete it.

Would it be possible for me to build say a Carbon with golden reference psu? Given the boards?

Electrostastic amps seem to be less "Plug and play" compared with stuff like the bottlehead or T3. Alot more troubleshooting seem to be required.

Probably not.  We sound like we're on roughly the same level as far as electrical engineering goes (I've done simple stuff, took one college course for it, I know I can make the Bottlehead Crack and Amp Camp Amp for example especially due to the excellent instructions around for both).  I wouldn't attempt a regular KGSSHV let alone a Carbon.

Dec 31, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #7,557 of 25,542
Hi!
It is always interesting read opinions here about different amps with SR-009. I think I'm only one here who thinks, that SR-009 sounds better with SRM-727 (unmodded), than with KGST. And I'm owner of both.
:)

Yes, bass have more kick with KGST, but that's all. With SRM-727, SR-009 have better sound stage (more deep), and far less sharp sound in mids and highs, when using Lynx Hilo as source. Even with my Linn Klimax DS, KGST sound is too edging.

Dec 31, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #7,558 of 25,542
There must be variations between builds as the birgir built kgst I heard sounds nothing like what you're describing. We were comparing it to stock srm727, level matched and kgst was significantly smoother sounding with the sr009.
Main main issue with it was lack of dynamics relative to electra and bhse.

Yesterday, anakchan brought his electra over to my place and we did another round between his amp with rolled 6sn7 tubes and my bhse (xf4 DD nos el34s). Here again, bhse felt more dynamic, actually sounded almost louder than electra even though levels were matched.

I liked the electra's midrange, very rich but to a fault as I felt the bhse extending at both ends of the spectrum, having more kick and sparkle and sounding more expansive (deeper , more air between instruments).

Cheers,
Arnaud

Jan 1, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #7,559 of 25,542
  Hi!
It is always interesting read opinions here about different amps with SR-009. I think I'm only one here who thinks, that SR-009 sounds better with SRM-727 (unmodded), than with KGST. And I'm owner of both.
:)

Yes, bass have more kick with KGST, but that's all. With SRM-727, SR-009 have better sound stage (more deep), and far less sharp sound in mids and highs, when using Lynx Hilo as source. Even with my Linn Klimax DS, KGST sound is too edging.

Is your 727 modded?  I couldn't stand listening to my SR009 out of the 727, in fact, I prefer listening to the 717 over the 727II that I have by a long short.  The bass is very flabby and lacking in definition and really bleed into other spectrum.  The KGST is really a good amp that falls just short to the very best amp in resolution, details, resolve ability, and soundstage.  It is however is very smooth and very enjoyable to listen to.  It is definitely a clear step up against the 727 when I had them side by side.  

Quote:
There must be variations between builds as the birgir built kgst I heard sounds nothing like what you're describing. We were comparing it to stock srm727, level matched and kgst was significantly smoother sounding with the sr009.
Main main issue with it was lack of dynamics relative to electra and bhse.

Yesterday, anakchan brought his electra over to my place and we did another round between his amp with rolled 6sn7 tubes and my bhse (xf4 DD nos el34s). Here again, bhse felt more dynamic, actually sounded almost louder than electra even though levels were matched.

I liked the electra's midrange, very rich but to a fault as I felt the bhse extending at both ends of the spectrum, having more kick and sparkle and sounding more expansive (deeper , more air between instruments).

Cheers,
Arnaud

Glad you are enjoying the BHSE finally.  It really is a great amp!

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #7,560 of 25,542

Is your 727 modded? 

No, it is not modded. I'm considering to modify it. To me, KGST sound stage is very wide, and all instruments in it are wide too. There is little depth. With 727, instruments can pinpointed, and there is clear depth in sound stage. Bass is not floppy, but it is not as strong, as bass in KGST,

Mine is from Birgir.

IMHO, SRM-727II with Lynx Hilo is just right. With Linn Klimax DS, 727 is little too dark sounding, too smooth, but listenable, even enjoyable. With NAD M51, 727 is too bright, and some kind "metallic sounding".

If there is variatoins between KGST builds, then maybe there is different sounding 727 too. 
wink_face.gif

If I try to describe KGST sound with SR-009 in one word, "fatiguing" is right word.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back