The Stax Thread III
Dec 3, 2015 at 6:15 PM Post #7,366 of 25,505

More transparency would be a start. I just think it's a little cheap of them to do. And for sure that is more serious (imo) - but only because it's more blatant. I think both situations can cause an equal amount of distress (for want of a better word) and bitterness.

It's all about trust really. I don't like the thought of a company doing that or having to tread carefully when I order something online.

Personally, I think you are being too unrealistic. The price they charge is transparent: It is the best price they can find at the time you order, with all the risks that currencies fluctuate, and retailers could at any time raise or lower their price. I don't really get what your beef is, except that if the price goes down you think you deserve a refund. But if the price goes up I guess you wouldn't want to pay them any more. It isn't like they know ahead of time what's gonna happen with retail prices or currencies. It is transparent already. They tell you the cheapest price they can find at the time you order AND pay, and then charge a handling fee. Sheesh

That 'sheesh' was a great ending to what you said. Really hit it home.

I may have got this round my neck. It was my understanding that he reserved them under a specific price, ordered them and then they tried to charge more after. But If he was only made aware when he went to the checkout (before any money was passed) - that's still piss-poor service. They could have at least sent a notification email. I'm well aware the prices can change. Does the site not have something in place to keep members who have reserved products aware of these changes?

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #7,367 of 25,505
After reviewing all of the comments again I'd like to remove myself from this conversation as abruptly as I entered it. I clearly don't know enough about this website to give as strong opinions as I have been giving, and I can only ask that, I or my family are not punished by the Stax mafia for doing so.

I'm drinking beer tomorrow night and going to see the new movie 'Krampus'. So I have a lot to live for. All of this drama is not worth it.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #7,368 of 25,505
  I have a very bad experience with PriceJapan. Bought a pair of SC-21, the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair. Since then, they choose not to answer my email at all. So, please be careful when warranty is needed. For me, my painful experience costs me US$1500 and there's no way, I am going to buy anything from them.

The above was post no 4169 of this thread dated 1/9/15, by  okw3188   Hope it helps.

Yes, my bad experience is still haunting me, if I should even recommend anyone to deal with PJ. On the contrary, I bought a pair of SRM-507 from my local dealer, after PJ episode and I have been happy with it on my modified SR-717.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #7,370 of 25,505
Dear Forum,
I am now looking to buy a vintage set of Stax SR3 or SR5 Gold earspeakers. I would like to take the older model, the SR3 but I am afraid of that the membrane of the model is more likely perforated by overdriving or is inferior compared to it's newer model.
Can you help me to describe the main differences between the two models,  which one is more preferable to obtain? Which one is more comfortable, detailed and reliable etc.? I am well aware of electrostatics sound signature. (I have two Lambdas)

Dec 5, 2015 at 7:38 AM Post #7,371 of 25,505
  Modified 717? What kind of modifications?

1) De-solder the 2 x 150Kohm resistor on the board and use 2 pieces of DALE RN60D 150K 1% instead, then connect it to the gold finger of the board for final stage feedback, based spritzer method.

2) To increase the input gain sensitivity, solder 2 x VISHAY BCcomponents MRS25 330R 0.6W 1% resistor in parallel to the smd resistor, also base on spritzer method. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #7,372 of 25,505
Aren't you confused with 727 ? When yes, gain mod is not recommended by Spritzer AFAIK 
smile_phones.gif

Ali

Dec 5, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #7,374 of 25,505
I have a very bad experience with PriceJapan. Bought a pair of SC-21, the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair. Since then, they choose not to answer my email at all. So, please be careful when warranty is needed. For me, my painful experience costs me US$1500 and there's no way, I am going to buy anything from them.

The above was post no 4169 of this thread dated 1/9/15, by  okw3188   Hope it helps.

You are quoting one experience, and my recollection was that this fellow demanded a refund and was no longer willing to pay for shipping to have the warranty service performed (because Airbow apparently didn't fix the problem the first time). Price Japan cannot deal with refunds in these circumstances. Don't care one way or the other whether people buy from them, but to date the only issue that caused some concern for me was one highlighted by Arnaud some time ago dealing with a faulty amp.

Dec 5, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #7,376 of 25,505
Just for the record, the SR007 (newest version) sounds quite awesome with a KGSS-HV. I highly recommend this combination. It's especially good with SACD. It's also very comfortable, more so as I feel it than the 009. (And it's far more comfy than the old 007 mk1 version that had thin pads). I have no desire to mod this phone. I kind of like it better overall than the 009, I have to admit, now that I've spent some time with it. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #7,377 of 25,505
  Just for the record, the SR007 (newest version) sounds quite awesome with a KGSS-HV. I highly recommend this combination. It's especially good with SACD. It's also very comfortable, more so as I feel it than the 009. (And it's far more comfy than the old 007 mk1 version that had thin pads). I have no desire to mod this phone. I kind of like it better overall than the 009, I have to admit, now that I've spent some time with it. 

Ha Ha, YES, I was batting on about this since July 2015 when I got my 007A's from PJ. The KGSShv is a warm sounding amp possibly, but has the dynamics and drive to 'wake up' the 007s and to me it makes a great system. I bought a KGSShv off-board from 'headinclouds' for my 007As for my little system back in the UK and also have another identical KGSShv from headinclouds for my bigger system and my 009s in Spain. I am not sure if the 007 surpasses the 009 though. The 009 has more detail and decay, just more clues to the source. In some cases the warm and smoother treble of the new 007s may suit some DACs and just slot into a system better. The 'brighter' and 'faster' 009s can cause issues with some front ends IMO. Detail comes at a cost, as I have found out by messing with my own DAC and upgraded parts. That detail needs to come through as clean and clear as possible, or listening fatigue is the name of the game. But get it right, and you have landed in 'Audio Nervana' which is exactly where everyone wants to be right?

It is great that Stax have finally 'fixed' the 007s. I had an 2013 007 MK2.5 model which was very lazy and boxy, a difference animal entirely. And if you think the 007 is less than half the cost of the 009, it makes a great high end system for accessible to the wider audiophile market. To me, the 007 and 009 are so good, it kinda spoils things on the speaker front TBH.

Dec 7, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #7,379 of 25,505
Why do you try to muddle up the situation told by someone who was not satisfied with using PJ as a seller?
Your version here does not seem equal to the one you will find if you do investigate the posts made when this situation happened.
Using PJ is just using a "broker" to find a good deal in a market few people outside of Japan is able to navigate in.
Once a problem occurs, you are on your own!
The problem might really be buying from someone like company Airbow, selling snake-oil like SC- SR21, so you might say they are the real problem.
Still you loose double when your only connection to Airbow is through PJ.
Buying through channels like this, to save a few dollars, is what the discussion was really about!
Both the companies here is risky to deal with!
Paying a bit more, to a seller who is less able to skip his responsibilities, is what people here should think about.
Not you trying to defend the system when things do go wrong!
Are you in any way affiliated to any of these?

Not muddling anything. Just adding some more detail to the random out of context post that other person made. Your other points are old news - pj is not the same as an authorized dealer and you will not get the same level of service. And yeah, my real name is Kaneda.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back