The Stax Thread III
Dec 8, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #7,397 of 25,585

For which the 007s or 009s? What's your budget? Are you adverse to tubes?

I guess either one. i didn't realize you might have different amp choices for both.
I'm nearing completion of my KGSSHV.
I'm not rich, but I can save up for stuff I want
smily_headphones1.gif

I like tubes a lot!

Your KGSSHV will be brilliant with both. Keep to it!

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:48 AM Post #7,398 of 25,585

Your KGSSHV will be brilliant with both. Keep to it!

I agree! You could look at your DAC to take your front end up to the level of the 009/007s and your amp. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #7,399 of 25,585
I don't know if I am posting to the correspondent forum, but I am asking the following:
I have read once that there is a significant difference between SB (Self-biasing) and non-self biasing transformers regarding the sound quality.

I am asking if this information true and if yes, can anyone tell me in which aspects one can percieve the difference?

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #7,400 of 25,585
Hello all,

I have spoken to somebody in private about this issue, but I would also like as many people as possible to chip in if that's ok.

The 009/007's are becoming a very real possibility for me next year; including a few other high-end cans.

Since the 009/007's have become a possibility I have been looking into their reliability and to my surprise the more I search the more I am reading about channel imbalance - especially with the 009.

Now I know this must be a bit of an eye-rollin' question, and many of you are burnt out talking, stressing, debating about it - but I would like to know or hear a few opinions about the following:

1. Has this problem and the cases of this happening shown a reduction?

2. Are there many repeat failures?

3. Was this issue with older units only? i.e; pre 2014/2015?

4  What is the meaning of life?

5. Why am I being asked to donate to lions and tigers, when given the opportunity both would eat me with no hesitation.

Thanks in advance

Lee

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #7,402 of 25,585

My route was buy the 009s from a UK dealer or your country dealer, (and swallow the cost) or buy the 007As from PJ as they seem to have fewer cases of Channel imbalance and thus less risk.

Having said that, I have heard on here about around 10 cases. They all seemed to malfunction inside a few weeks, so a return was no issue. 
You get 2 years cover in the UK or Europe.

Get the 009s is my view. Then see if you 'need' anything else. The thing is, to see what the 009s can do, you need a good amp (non Stax) and a good DAC. So factor that in. You can't realistically put the 009s on the end of a mid-fi and expect it to sound remarkable. Remember the 009s are like a 100K speaker, so they need to be driven by good gear.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:55 AM Post #7,404 of 25,585
I would like to hear them with the new 353x amp if I'm honest. I've heard them on two Stax amps (I can't remember which one was which), one was very good (to my ears) and the other one really wasn't.

My source would be a macbook - something I strongly believe I would be happy with until I decide to upgrade. I understand the value of a good DAC, but when I heard them (the time they amazed me), it was with a macbook DAC. I'm sure they get a lot better, but if I'm gunning to be 'amazed' that's a good start.

I have a big choice of the totl cans in around Feb and the 009's are a big consideration.

Maybe the L700'S would be a safer option...

Dec 9, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #7,405 of 25,585
  I would like to hear them with the new 353x amp if I'm honest. I've heard them on two Stax amps (I can't remember which one was which), one was very good (to my ears) and the other one really wasn't. I would try and get a second hand KGSS at least. A Stax amp won't hack it IMO.

My source would be a macbook - something I strongly believe I would be happy with until I decide to upgrade. I understand the value of a good DAC, but when I heard them (the time they amazed me), it was with a macbook DAC. I'm sure they get a lot better, but if I'm gunning to be 'amazed' that's a good start. Not sure what you mean? If you use AIFFs and Audirvana+ out via USB to even a 1K DAC you will be getting there. Look at the Schlit Audio DACs for high quality at bargain prices.

I have a big choice of the totl cans in around Feb and the 009's are a big consideration.

Maybe the L700'S would be a safer option... I would 'invest' in the 009s then built up the amp / source. Least then you know it is the best Stax do. If money is tight, get the Schlit DAC and the 007As (007s from PJ). KGSS second hand, Job done.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:30 PM Post #7,407 of 25,585
I would never buy a new 007 or 009 (or any other very high end stax for that matter) from somewhere that didn't offer really, really good warranty.
I would buy a used set from a fellow Head-fi'er, but only if it was treated well
basshead.gif

For the amount of money being spent, and no other reason, I would want pretty good warranty.
When buying high end electrostatics like the 007 or 009 you have to expect some amount of inconsistency from model to model. It is like a rolls royce.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #7,408 of 25,585
And what is your expectation of really good warranty?

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #7,409 of 25,585
I would NOT buy from another headier here, as they will be WORN OUT! Seriously, buy the 009s from your country dealer, buy the 007As from PJ. PJ have taken back and sorted some 009s in the past, but the 007As are much less prone to imbalance as far as I have read to date. Unless someone here knows different?

Warranty is 2 years legally for all consumer electronics in Europe, it may be only 1 year in the USA? 

In my view, aside from the few issues in the 009s, headphones in general are quite fragile things and get thrown about and dropped, as they are a wearable item, unlike an amp (unless you are really weird and wear your amps as well Ha Ha.

Aside from all this OCD stuff, just buy the thing. It makes me smile when I wake up, and makes me rush home after work, and makes me happy listening to my music, what more do you want? I don't remember doing that for any woman I have ever known..... and they don't come with a return policy Ha Ha. Plus sex doesn't tend to last as long as a CD either.....

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #7,410 of 25,585
  I would NOT buy from another headier here, as they will be WORN OUT! Seriously, buy the 009s from your country dealer, buy the 007As from PJ. PJ have taken back and sorted some 009s in the past, but the 007As are much less prone to imbalance as far as I have read to date. Unless someone here knows different?

Warranty is 2 years legally for all consumer electronics in Europe, it may be only 1 year in the USA? 

In my view, aside from the few issues in the 009s, headphones in general are quite fragile things and get thrown about and dropped, as they are a wearable item, unlike an amp (unless you are really weird and wear your amps as well Ha Ha.

Aside from all this OCD stuff, just buy the thing. It makes me smile when I wake up, and makes me rush home after work, and makes me happy listening to my music, what more do you want? I don't remember doing that for any woman I have ever known..... and they don't come with a return policy Ha Ha. Plus sex doesn't tend to last as long as a CD either.....

You can say that again!
I'm waiting on a 007A MKll from PJ which is where I purchased my 009 from (which I sold) and I have no problem with dealing with them…at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back