The Stax Thread III
Dec 10, 2015 at 8:05 AM Post #7,426 of 25,665

I would NOT buy from another headier here, as they will be WORN OUT!

Bollocks. Stax headphones do not 'wear out'. Yeah, the pads maybe, but they are easily replaced.

With the 009s though, the ear pads are considered a part that needs to be sent back for servicing. The last person I spoke to (in the USA) was told they had to pay something like $700 to replace arcs, head-pad and ear pads.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #7,427 of 25,665
I have read before that a replacement arc is very costly, which I don't really get, and $700 for the whole bunch sounds outrageous. Does anybody here have experience with replacing the pads on the 009 by yourself? Is it easily done?

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #7,428 of 25,665

Bollocks. Stax headphones do not 'wear out'. Yeah, the pads maybe, but they are easily replaced.

Bollocks, the lead can get strain injury (my 007s needed a new cable). The frames can get damaged, the joints can wear loose. The plug and cable unit can get loose. They can be dropped. The drivers can get dust problems. They can get damp problems. Have I missed any? I have read some drivers do fail due to age as well, though I agree, some old Lambdas still work ok.

Oh yes, the drivers can get damaged by an amp, i.e. pumping out too much bias, shorting, going out of spec. A tube Stax amp may fail and damage the phones? A power surge. My dog jumped on my lead and broke the cable entry on my old 007s. Ants may eat the membrane. 

Want more?

basically, buy a well used phone and you get, err, a well used phone. Find a little used phone, you get, err, a newer phone!

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #7,429 of 25,665
Yes, you're right, when you're careless, you can do all kinds of damaging things to your headphones. However, if you use them normally and by that I mean normally carefully like most of us here, they will be fine. They do not degrade by playing music or 'wear out' in that sense. Plenty of 007s never get any cable problems. Just don't step on the cable when you're wearing them and you should be fine.

Buying used around here often gets you almost-as-new quality for half the price. I would never have got my 007 via a regular dealer here in the Netherlands for the silly money they ask for it. I hope the rumours turn out to be true that Stax is trying to make the prices more uniform around the globe. That would change the situation for me, which is good for the local dealers as well. That reminds me, I should go and ask what a L700 costs here...

Dec 10, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #7,430 of 25,665

Bollocks, the lead can get strain injury (my 007s needed a new cable). The frames can get damaged, the joints can wear loose. The plug and cable unit can get loose. They can be dropped. The drivers can get dust problems. They can get damp problems. Have I missed any? I have read some drivers do fail due to age as well, though I agree, some old Lambdas still work ok.

Oh yes, the drivers can get damaged by an amp, i.e. pumping out too much bias, shorting, going out of spec. A tube Stax amp may fail and damage the phones? A power surge. My dog jumped on my lead and broke the cable entry on my old 007s. Ants may eat the membrane. 

Want more?

basically, buy a well used phone and you get, err, a well used phone. Find a little used phone, you get, err, a newer phone!

do you really need to rub your bollocks with the Stax so fast, hard and relentlessly ... does NB last longer by the way, errrrrr?

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #7,432 of 25,665

Want more?

I bought my first Stax phone, a used SRX MK III in 1978 which I have since sold to a friend and it still runs. While some things can get broken, generally this is the result of misuse , eg. stepping on the cable which wrecked a Sigma, although as the case was fine, I had it rebuilt as the first Sigma/404.

I agree that used is a good way to go. If it is ok when you buy it, you should get a long period of use.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #7,433 of 25,665
Fair enough. Like all things buyer be careful. And the same applies to Stax amps that are longish in the tooth. Caps go and transformers melt. Sorry, I am going all doom and gloom again. Just be sensible when buying stuff. Nowadays mobile phones take great photos. If you can't get a hi res photo of it from the seller, don't buy it, period. And for amps, that should include the insides.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #7,434 of 25,665
I had 4 Staxes over the last 15+ years and have never experienced any defect ever. No channel imbalance, nothing physically breaking, and no repairs ever needed. So I would feel confident buying one.

Dec 10, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #7,436 of 25,665
I prefer my SR-L700 to my SR-007 Mk2 off of my KGST. Great sound.

Never listen to the 007 anymore. They are in the hall closet.

Either mostly listen to the 009 or sometimes the L700. (or SR-003 Mk2).

I wish you hadn't posted that.  I very much enjoy the 007A out of my KGST.  Trouble maker...

biggrin.gif

HS

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #7,437 of 25,665

My pal @ Mulveling is very much in agreement with you.  The SR-L700 and KGST is a great combo.

Dec 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #7,438 of 25,665

This is one of those things I'm wondering as I'm learning and slowly waiting for my amps to be ready (BHSE and a KGSSHV Carbon on hold).  I know I'm buying a SR-009 but was thinking if I should pair with a SR-L700 or the SR-007 (one of the variants) as something that complements each other in the electrostat game.  Seems like people are moving toward the new L700. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 2:18 AM Post #7,440 of 25,665
For those who compared the SR-507 and the SR-L700 : How is the bass impact of the L700 compared to the 507 ? 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back