The Stax Thread III
Dec 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #7,456 of 25,609
If the springs in the 007 MKll are removed, does this prevent both the ear-pads and outer cups where the cable enters from rotating, or just the ear-pads from rotating?
Thanks.

EDIT:
Also, does removing the springs change the sound-signature?
If so, can anyone give a brief description with/without springs on the sour-signature?
Thanks.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #7,459 of 25,609
  Very nice!
Who was the builder?

It was Greg and he only built two of them.  This one has exotic resistors on the audio boards as well as a Gold-point attenuator.  Definitely a Head-in-cloud level of built.  500V IXY tuned to work really well for either the SR007 or SR009.  Its the best sounding KGSSHV I've come across beside the KGSSHV Carbon.  I sampled almost 5 KGSSHVs (both 500V & 450V units including Mjolnir Mini) and this is the best sounding one.  I have the Carbon now and I tricked Matt into getting one.  Seriously though, this is a great sounding KGSSHV.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #7,460 of 25,609
  It was Greg and he only built two of them.  This one has exotic resistors on the audio boards as well as a Gold-point attenuator.  Definitely a Head-in-cloud level of built.  500V IXY tuned to work really well for either the SR007 or SR009.  Its the best sounding KGSSHV I've come across beside the KGSSHV Carbon.  I sampled almost 5 KGSSHVs (both 500V & 450V units including Mjolnir Mini) and this is the best sounding one.  I have the Carbon now and I tricked Matt into getting one.  Seriously though, this is a great sounding KGSSHV.

Thanks you for the information. 
It is a really nice looking build…for sure! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:21 PM Post #7,461 of 25,609
  Thanks you for the information. 
It is a really nice looking build…for sure! 
beerchug.gif

No problem.  It has the best combination of a lot of things.  I still would put Headinclouds chassis work at slightly better though.  Jeff builds are just a tad shy of Headamp IMO.  Gotta love his custom build chassis.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #7,462 of 25,609
No DIY builder has Geoff's quality. What's under the hood is important, though.

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #7,463 of 25,609

No problem.  It has the best combination of a lot of things.  I still would put Headinclouds chassis work at slightly better though.  Jeff builds are just a tad shy of Headamp IMO.  Gotta love his custom build chassis.

I misunderstood your post, I though Greg was "Headinclouds" now I understand…Jeff is.
Good to know their just a tad shy of the BHSE which I'm waiting on.
Thanks again. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #7,464 of 25,609
  If the springs in the 007 MKll are removed, does this prevent both the ear-pads and outer cups where the cable enters from rotating, or just the ear-pads from rotating?
Thanks.

EDIT:
Also, does removing the springs change the sound-signature?
If so, can anyone give a brief description with/without springs on the sour-signature?
Thanks.

removing the spring will make the pad able to rotate more freely; the pads without spring are loosely mounted on the flat black round plate which in turn is attached to the cup.
Having mounted the spring will make pad, black plate and cup act more like one unit and it will be more difficult to rotate the pad independently.

Removing the spring does change the signature; You might find some answers here

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #7,465 of 25,609

removing the spring will make the pad able to rotate more freely; the pads without spring are loosely mounted on the flat black round plate which in turn is attached to the cup.
Having mounted the spring will make pad, black plate and cup act more like one unit and it will be more difficult to rotate the pad independently.

Removing the spring does change the signature; You might find some answers here

OK, thank you for the reply, I thought the pads-cups would be stationary if the springs were removed.
Thanks for the information also.
beerchug.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #7,466 of 25,609
  OK, thank you for the reply, I thought the pads-cups would be stationary if the springs were removed.
Thanks for the information also.
beerchug.gif

Fig 1 show the spring mounted in the pad underneath the mesh ... the edge being covered by the thin leather flap that needs to "grab"  the "pad attachement plate" ... the latter is the hardest part ... my experience is that one has to be as gentle and patient as posible, sort of "let the leather flap find it's own way".
Removing the pad is actually just by grabing the pad and pull it off.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:17 PM Post #7,467 of 25,609
  Fig 1 show the spring mounted in the pad underneath the mesh ... the edge being covered by the thin leather flap that needs to "grab"  the "pad attachement plate" ... the latter is the hardest part ... my experience is that one has to be as gentle and patient as posible, sort of "let the leather flap find it's own way".
Removing the pad is actually just by grabing the pad and pull it off.

I had found this diagram afterwards, thanks for the tips, but I'm not going to touch anything because I was under the impression that removing the springs would stop the pads from rotating, which I'm not such a fan of…my 007MKll is brand new, and going to stay that way. 
smile.gif

Thank you. 

Dec 13, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #7,469 of 25,609

Hmmm...... Is there a name for these exotic resistors? Curious minds need to know! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back