The Stax Thread III
Dec 16, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #7,486 of 25,609
  Yes, indeed. I de-solder the 2 smd resistor and use 2 dale resistor to solder directly to the gold-finger of the board and also did the mod on increasing the input sensitivity. It really sounds like a different amp!

Agreed! I owned the SRM727II and got to hear the spritzer-modded version...the former was a "nice" amp and the latter was really, really good with my SR-009s.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #7,488 of 25,609
  I have stax headphone and my setup comprises a McIntosh 2200 pre-amp and Sonic Frontiers power amp.considering buying the Woo WEE or should I go for the full WOO stax amp ?

Harold

Full fledged, high end electrostatic amps are generally viewed as better than energizers + power amps.  Woo Audio has two amps, the GES and WES.  Which were you considering?  For the price of each I'd choose something else.

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #7,489 of 25,609
Hi, short question. I bought the SRS-3170 last weekend. When I listen to classical I usually play with the knob a lot and vary from 7-9 mostly. My concern is that with some (badly produced) orchestral recordings the headphones start to crackle harshly at loud parts, could this be damaging to the headphones? Can you guys maybe shed some light if the recording quality has anything to do with this?

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:21 PM Post #7,491 of 25,609
  Thanks for replying so quickly !

I was thinking in terms of GES vs WEE
spending 4.5K was not my  aim.

spritzer of Mjolnir audio has his own amp inspired by the GES, listed near the bottom of this page:

http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/products/

But not many people use either, so I doubt you can find a comparison.  The Stax SRM-323S is far more popular than both and a lot cheaper, but I don't know how they compare.  Which Stax headphone do you have?

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #7,492 of 25,609
  Hi, short question. I bought the SRS-3170 last weekend. When I listen to classical I usually play with the knob a lot and vary from 7-9 mostly. My concern is that with some (badly produced) orchestral recordings the headphones start to crackle harshly at loud parts, could this be damaging to the headphones? Can you guys maybe shed some light if the recording quality has anything to do with this?

Do a search for the 'Stax fart' and see if that could explain it. It would mean that certain of your movements cause it. If not, then I think your headphones or amp are faulty, because this should not happen.

Dec 23, 2015 at 3:39 PM Post #7,493 of 25,609

Do a search for the 'Stax fart' and see if that could explain it. It would mean that certain of your movements cause it. If not, then I think your headphones or amp are faulty, because this should not happen.

Sorry for posting in Dutch for a bit but it's easier to explain: Dat geluid heb ik wel als ik oren lichtjes naar binnen laat klappen. Maar waar ik het eigenlijk over heb is iets totaal anders, het klinkt als een knarsend, pijnlijk geknetter. Het gebeurt bij hoge volumes en tot nu toe enkel met klassieke opnamens waarvan ik weet dat ze op andere koptelefoons ook serieus kunnen vervormen. Maar ik heb de neiging om dat veel te luid te zetten dan misschien bedoeld is. Meeste opnamens gaan prima op hoogste volume, maar dan zijn die vaak wat zachter (en correcter) opgenomen.

But I read in the other thread that the membrane is pretty solid. It doesn't seem to have lasting affect or anything. Just worried I might be damaging them in the long term, can't really predict that well when it happens.

Dec 23, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #7,494 of 25,609
And are you sure the crackling sounds are not in the recording, simply played differently than on other headphones? They could be played differently than what you're used to, if you were using dynamic headphones before. If that's also not the case, then I don't know what's wrong with your system, unfortunately. I can't imagine that simply playing them too loud would lead to distortions of that order, unless you play them incredibly, deafeningly loud.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #7,495 of 25,609

But I read in the other thread that the membrane is pretty solid. It doesn't seem to have lasting affect or anything. Just worried I might be damaging them in the long term, can't really predict that well when it happens.

It's very possible it's in the recording. especially older recordings.
If you hear it even with recordings where you know there should be no crackling, you would have to troubleshoot and find if the amp or the headphones are responsible.
The crackling sounds will not damage the headphone any more than any other sound it makes
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #7,496 of 25,609
Hear the crackling. Backtrack in the song to repeat the crackling. If not, it's the Stax Fart.

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #7,497 of 25,609
As i experienced, KGSS / BHSE got more punch on bass and sound with more clarity, even on lower loudness level.
The 007MK II is harder to drive and has some improvement from a 3rd party amp.

How much improvement would you say is "some improvement"?

I'm asking in complete sincerity because my next adventure in this money pit of a hobby was to experiment with the 007.

Dec 25, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #7,498 of 25,609
Try and stay with the current 007A, the older MK2 is terrible, the original 007 probably the same? - but is now too old really. IMO the current 007A is very good, much more transparent and still good bass response. I got mine from PJ and is the Japanese silver version. It is closer to a slightly darker version of the 009 as opposed to the boomy and lazy direction the Mk2 went in. If you can get hold of a KGSShv or even an LL2 it is a cheaper route to a great system than the 009s. The 007 is not nice without a powerful amp though, which rules out all of the Stax amps.

Dec 25, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #7,499 of 25,609
How much improvement would you say is "some improvement"?

I'm asking in complete sincerity because my next adventure in this money pit of a hobby was to experiment with the 007.

I would say, if you like to hear live jazz recordings or classical music in it´s original loudness, that means somehow the loudness the musicians in the assemble are in real, you will recognize a better clarity  and a remarkable increase of dynamic. I hear a better separation of the instruments due to the better dynamic range and more solid performance at peak impulses, also a exceptional stronger, more exact bass. (does not mean louder bass)

I this situation i find my STAX amp kind of collapse which can be heard as little distortion. As you compare the amp´s next to each other you won´t go back to the original STAX amp.
You will know for sure that the recording has to meet the standard for good performance and a nice DAC will contribute to a optimized result.
Especially a DAC with a not too warm sounding would be my choice with the 007 Headphone.

karl

Dec 25, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #7,500 of 25,609
Good advice there. Look for a second hand KGSS or even a KGST. Pity, the last headinclouds KGST was sold this week. But there are other good amps around. I would avoid the LL1 but the LL2 has better following. PM some ones on here for more info on that if you want to buy new. The GES won't drive the b007 very well, so Woo Audio is probably out. And of course the KGSShv in either of it's guises will power the 007 for sure, in fact I voter the KGSShv first in that list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back