The Stax Thread III
Dec 11, 2015 at 4:05 AM Post #7,441 of 25,592

This is one of those things I'm wondering as I'm learning and slowly waiting for my amps to be ready (BHSE and a KGSSHV Carbon on hold).  I know I'm buying a SR-009 but was thinking if I should pair with a SR-L700 or the SR-007 (one of the variants) as something that complements each other in the electrostat game.  Seems like people are moving toward the new L700. 

I have not tried the L700 but can sample one soon enough.  For what's it worth though, the SR-007 is pretty spectacular out of both the BHSE & KGSSHV Carbon.  I would still own it if you have those two amps.

Dec 11, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #7,442 of 25,592
anyone want to buy my 007A with channel imbalance? it's in immaculate shape other than the whole, um, imbalance thing. :/

the L700 might be my next buy...hope these aren't prone to imbalance like the 007/009...

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:25 AM Post #7,443 of 25,592
After a very long, and enjoyable journey, I have finally arrived with my first Stax purchase. I bought a very nice condition sr-007 mki and will soon have a nicely fashioned KGSShv. 

Many thanks @purk for all your coaching and guidance. 

Dec 11, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #7,444 of 25,592
  After a very long, and enjoyable journey, I have finally arrived with my first Stax purchase. I bought a very nice condition sr-007 mki and will soon have a nicely fashioned KGSShv. 

Many thanks @purk for all your coaching and guidance. 

NICE. Who built your KGSShv if you don't mind me asking? Enjoy your new (high end) entry point into the weird and wonderful world of Stax headphones.

Dec 11, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #7,446 of 25,592

NICE. Who built your KGSShv if you don't mind me asking? Enjoy your new (high end) entry point into the weird and wonderful world of Stax headphones.

Not sure on the build...Spritzer? 

Congratulations! I'm sure the 007 will bring many hours of enjoyment.

Hope so too. If not, I blame Purk for everything. 
tongue.gif

Dec 11, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #7,447 of 25,592
  Not sure on the build...Spritzer? 

Hope so too. If not, I blame Purk for everything. 
tongue.gif

I have a KGSShv (headinclouds) driving my 007As 2015 issue. It sound bloody marvellous....

Dec 12, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #7,454 of 25,592

And that's the question: which is more accurate? We all know planar magnetics have more, but more could in fact be less, in terms of accuracy. Electrostats certainly sound more transparent overall, at least to most of us. But higher transparency doesn't necessarily mean the "weight" of the instruments is the most accurate too. I suppose at this point in time, all we have are various opinions. Don't know how to go about measuring such a thing in an objective manner.

This is not about headphones but about speakers. I used to love my Martin Logan full range CLS IIz electrostatic speakers but when I needed volume they were lacking. On certain bass frequencies I would get the "kazoo effect", the whole panel resonating at a certain bass frequency.

So I switched to Magnepans, the 3.6R, planar magnetic loudspeakers. They need a lot of "juice", I power them with 200 W/ch. tube mono amplifiers for the mid panels and the treble ribbons plus 300 W/ch. transistor monos for the bass panels. But now they deliver, plenty of "weight" and volume for my taste. It's like being at a live concert but without the ambient noise.

Perhaps the same is true for headphones? I love my Stax Lambda Nova Signatures but prefer to listen to my speaker setup.

Dec 12, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #7,455 of 25,592
The Martin Logan Summit X don´t have that problem as they use a active double bass unit dome loudspeakers on each side.
The Magneplans are also tending to some distortion at high level loudness. Full range planars all has to suffer to this.

Headphones don´t do that, maybe because of the smaller panel size?! imo

Love my 009/BHSE.... and my Summit too. So i´m in to electrostatic  all the way. 

Best to have them both, nice speaker setup and headphones so i change my preference from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back