The Stax Thread III
Dec 3, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #7,336 of 25,609

having the cans play constently over a period of days is a good idea, as is shorting the pins.  I dont think your hearing is playing tricks on you.   I have heard of many instances where this solves the imbalance problem.  Leaving them unplugged and not playing is not something I have heard of.

UPDATE:
For today, I've been using the balance in my music playing software to compensate for the attenuation from the left channel. I've noticed that the attenuation gets smaller and smaller the longer I keep listening to them, and I can track/measure this because I have to adjust the balance closer to center. For a few glorious moments this evening, everything was centered.
However, after I put them down for a bit (without turning the amp off) and then returned to them, the left channel was attenuated again. I short the pins every couple of hours just to see if it changes anything, and it usually doesn't make a noticeable change, but I keep doing it anyways.

My hunch, after my experience today, is that they are just breaking in as the diaphragm works its way to the voltage it's supposed to be at. Hopefully that's all it is. I'm going to leave them playing for a few days, messing with the balance whenever I actually want to listen to them, and hopefully, everything should fix itself.

While it hasn't been totally fixed yet, at the very least, I've discovered that my issue isn't completely permanent right? 

Dec 3, 2015 at 4:45 AM Post #7,339 of 25,609
  UPDATE:
For today, I've been using the balance in my music playing software to compensate for the attenuation from the left channel. I've noticed that the attenuation gets smaller and smaller the longer I keep listening to them, and I can track/measure this because I have to adjust the balance closer to center. For a few glorious moments this evening, everything was centered.
However, after I put them down for a bit (without turning the amp off) and then returned to them, the left channel was attenuated again. I short the pins every couple of hours just to see if it changes anything, and it usually doesn't make a noticeable change, but I keep doing it anyways.

My hunch, after my experience today, is that they are just breaking in as the diaphragm works its way to the voltage it's supposed to be at. Hopefully that's all it is. I'm going to leave them playing for a few days, messing with the balance whenever I actually want to listen to them, and hopefully, everything should fix itself.

While it hasn't been totally fixed yet, at the very least, I've discovered that my issue isn't completely permanent right? 

I suggest you return them. This kind of behavior is something you could understand for some vintage set (right channel on my Sigma Pro needs around one minute of complete charging for instance), but bias charging should be instantaneous on a new unit.

Ali

Dec 3, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #7,340 of 25,609
  I suggest you return them. This kind of behavior is something you could understand for some vintage set (right channel on my Sigma Pro needs around one minute of complete charging for instance), but bias charging should be instantaneous on a new unit.

Ali

you are probably giving the right advice here.
I just find it puzzeling that the system worked right out of the box - according to the poster - and then suddenly over night there's an imbalance issue?
Also, "For a few glorious moments this evening, everything was centered" ....
Can a channel imbalance caused by the earspeakers come and go just like that?

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #7,343 of 25,609
  This does not indicate a personal experience.

Agree; my bad I read the post wrongly.
Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And a state of reduced sensitivity a few days after receiving them does indicate some sort of permanent problem.

Agree. But the fluctuation in the magnitude of the problem doesn't excatly point to a charging problem, does it?

This is just myth building, and should not be encouraged.

Agree.

I too would recommend the OP to return these to the seller, even if having to pay return shipping is a hard lesson against buying on the net instead of from a retailer.

I'd had my fair share of problems buying from local retailer's and as far as I know a lot of people are very satiesfied about PJ.

My headband assy for the 507 did break up just a few weeks after starting to use them, and a new one from Stax USA costs USD420!
I don't know shipping from here to Japan, but it is not cheap!
Luckily a new headband is on it's way from Stax in Japan already, as the national retailer here did just order a new one when I shoved him the problem.

Now, that's a story- but don't you forget to take the retail price into account here?

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #7,344 of 25,609
  If these were not new, according to spritzer, electrostatic panels may experience loss of conductivity over the surface of the diaphragm over time.
Not for everyone to do a fix of!
There might also be a case of poor connection where the signal transfer from the diaphragm to the wire, just a case of oxidation there.
This can be fixed, but I would not recommend if you are not sure you have the skills to do it!

Well, if you have a driver that lost its breath due to the coating having evaporated it probably can get worse than that.
If you have a bit of patience, a sharp Stanley knife, some glue, and a bottle of antistatic spray you can fix that - not as complicated as some seems to think it is.
Although I wouldn't try to fix a new pair still on warrenty.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #7,347 of 25,609
  Yes, PriceJapan is reputable, and realy the only option outside of authorized dealers. Some dealers can do a bit better than list from what I have heard but pretty sure none can get close to PJ pricing.

I have a very bad experience with PriceJapan. Bought a pair of SC-21, the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair. Since then, they choose not to answer my email at all. So, please be careful when warranty is needed. For me, my painful experience costs me US$1500 and there's no way, I am going to buy anything from them.

The above was post no 4169 of this thread dated 1/9/15, by  okw3188   Hope it helps.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #7,348 of 25,609
  I have a very bad experience with PriceJapan. Bought a pair of SC-21, the headphone was still defective, after the 1st repair. Since then, they choose not to answer my email at all. So, please be careful when warranty is needed. For me, my painful experience costs me US$1500 and there's no way, I am going to buy anything from them.

The above was post no 4169 of this thread dated 1/9/15, by  okw3188   Hope it helps.

This post and other recent ones are making me reconsider buying from PriceJapan.  I'd save $300, but even if they do provide actual support for me it would take a while to RMA something.  I might just spend the extra money and buy from elusivedisc or Woo Audio.

Dec 3, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #7,349 of 25,609
I've bought a bunch of Stax from PJ.

My last purchase was a SR-L700. Paid thier price two weeks early, before Stax released them. One day after the release, when PJ actulally shipped them the posted price was a lot less. PJ would not refund the difference. Kaneda is dishonest. Last time I will buy from him.

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #7,350 of 25,609
I've bought a bunch of Stax from PJ.

My last purchase was a SR-L700. Paid thier price two weeks early, before Stax released them. One day after the release, when PJ actulally shipped them the posted price was a lot less. PJ would not refund the difference. Kaneda is dishonest. Last time I will buy from him.

I don't believe you can pre-order like that through PJ. Because the Yen fluctuates daily. Don't you have a 24 hour window from the time you reserve your order to pay at
the listed price. If you don't, it defaults to the current currency rate.

So you did reserve a pair in advance. But you're bitching because they didn't refund you a difference two weeks from
the price you paid. That goes with the territory of dealing with fluctuating currency rates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back