The Stax Thread III
Dec 2, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #7,322 of 25,665
Help!
I received my 2170 system yesterday from Japan. I listened them for a couple of hours throughout the day and they sounded fine. I listened to one song just before going to bed, then left music playing at a very low volume overnight. Today when I went to listen to them, there is significant channel volume imbalance. The right channel plays at the normal level while the left channel is severely attenuated. I troubleshooted with my friends set up (older amp with dual channel pot) and determined that the headphones are the problem and that if the right channel were at 9 o'clock, the left channel would have to be at 12 o'clock to sound even.

What should I do?

Dec 2, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #7,324 of 25,665
  Help!
I received my 2170 system yesterday from Japan. I listened them for a couple of hours throughout the day and they sounded fine. I listened to one song just before going to bed, then left music playing at a very low volume overnight. Today when I went to listen to them, there is significant channel volume imbalance. The right channel plays at the normal level while the left channel is severely attenuated. I troubleshooted with my friends set up (older amp with dual channel pot) and determined that the headphones are the problem and that if the right channel were at 9 o'clock, the left channel would have to be at 12 o'clock to sound even.

What should I do?

Contact the seller first thing, before you do the return. Usually sellers say you return item at your expense, but some may pay the postage, amazon for one.
PS keep them running in to see if there are anymore changes.

Dec 2, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #7,326 of 25,665
You might also try grounding the pins on the headphone cable to discharge the diaphragms, could be one side has built up an abnormal charge. Then let them sit for few days unplugged to let any residual charge dissipate.

If they are still not working after that then you may need to return/exchange/repair the earspeakers.

Dec 2, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #7,328 of 25,665
not sure this is a good advice. It probably won't discharge without being shorted

Unplug it, short it using a finger or some metal ... I've had a few with an imbalance and the cure was to unplug it a few times, short the pins and re-plug it ...

The sitting for a few days was in case these got shipped via air to the OP. It will allow the diaphragms to equalize and relax if there is a pressure issue also. There were instances of the diaphragms getting stuck due to pressure differential during shipping.

May not need this step according to the situation and results of shorting the pins.

Just suggestions, no guarantees. ..

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #7,330 of 25,665
Thanks for the advice, I will try shorting the pins, letting the headphones sit unplugged for a few days, and then seeing what happens. I let them play for most of today until I got back home, and it seems like the imbalance issue has gotten marginally better, but I could also just be imagining it. 

Where were they purchased from?

I purchased them from ebay. I will get in contact with the seller and let him know what's going on, hopefully there isn't too bad of a language barrier. Hopefully the issue can be resolved and I won't have to mail anything back to Japan.

Dec 2, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #7,331 of 25,665

How can pressure differences during air freight make diaphragms cling to stators?
Please explain?

I did not say anything about diaphragms clinging to stators.

But I should have put that these were the theories at the times when there has been a lot of churn on the imbalance issues.
Was on my phone and did not elaborate where the statement came from. I am not going explain it. Some one else can do that. or you can go back and read all the posts on it.

However, I have seen similar issues with products we use, when something that is pressurized and sealed is assembled at sea level and then goes to, say, Denver or somewhere in the mountains, and it is not working properly due to the difference in altitude. Also, I have firsthand experience with damage to sealed chambers due to the altitude during flight.

Dec 2, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #7,332 of 25,665
  I did not say anything about diaphragms clinging to stators.

But I should have put that these were the theories at the times when there has been a lot of churn on the imbalance issues.
Was on my phone and did not elaborate where the statement came from. I am not going explain it. Some one else can do that. or you can go back and read all the posts on it.

However, I have seen similar issues with products we use, when something that is pressurized and sealed is assembled at sea level and then goes to, say, Denver or somewhere in the mountains, and it is not working properly due to the difference in altitude. Also, I have firsthand experience with damage to sealed chambers due to the altitude during flight.

so basically what you're saying is that a flight may damage only one side of the driver? ... could happen but I don't believe it would be a common issue ...if it should be the case I guess it would be visible at the protection film ... should it be suck'ed in due to lower pressure ...I'd stick  a small hole in the dust protection film and repair it with a small piece of tape....

Dec 2, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #7,334 of 25,665
  Thanks for the advice, I will try shorting the pins, letting the headphones sit unplugged for a few days, and then seeing what happens. I let them play for most of today until I got back home, and it seems like the imbalance issue has gotten marginally better, but I could also just be imagining it. 

I purchased them from ebay. I will get in contact with the seller and let him know what's going on, hopefully there isn't too bad of a language barrier. Hopefully the issue can be resolved and I won't have to mail anything back to Japan.

having the cans play constently over a period of days is a good idea, as is shorting the pins.  I dont think your hearing is playing tricks on you.   I have heard of many instances where this solves the imbalance problem.  Leaving them unplugged and not playing is not something I have heard of.

Dec 3, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #7,335 of 25,665
  There are no sealed chambers in an electrostatic panel.
No pressurized compartments.
So that would be a myth only.

to my knowledge most Stax drivers are sealed front and back to prevent dust from entering the driver.
If for some reason there is a slight vaccum inside I guess it would visible from  the film being very tight. Usually the dust protection film is a bit loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back