The Stax Thread III
Apr 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #2,026 of 25,622
Good advice hear, thank you for this.

I agree with all you say, BUT I live in South Spain, and literally every day I can wipe my hand over granite tables
in the house and fell dust and very fine grit. Our climate is like California, so dust you can't see by the naked eye
but that gets into a house even with all windows shut.

So, I will carry on with my Glass Dome. I know it looks kinda odd, but it seems to work, keeping 98% of the
airborne dust out. Plus it is quick to store and practical. You don't want to have to bung them in the Stax case
every session, it takes too long and most will end up not storing at all.

The Stax plastic cover thing is pretty horrid, and not so effective.

My valve amps need a blow over and clean every 6 months at least. It depends where they are sat. My Monoblocks
are sat on the floor in the lounge, so get more dust than the pre-amps which are on a heavy granite table.
With valve amps like the BHSE it would be good policy to store them if out of use for long periods with the
valves out and fit valve socket caps. In situ valves can corrode (metal to metal) and open sockets get full of dust.

Another good tip for storing Stax gear, or any headphones, is they must be dry. The leather cups absorb oils
and moisture, and can go mouldy in the same way a waxed leather jacket will if left in the back of your wardrobe.

Maybe Stax changed from Aluminium carry case to wooden storage box on the SR-009s for this reason? Not sure.
So place the phones in a sealed bag with silica, or in a box that is slightly breathable like the SR-009s box.

The other thing to watch is placing the SR-007s in the ali case, is to rotate the speakers round so the flex entry faces
inside the cutout foam cavity. I bought mine secondhand and the guy had packed them with the cables bend over the
foam insert - not good.

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #2,027 of 25,622
I'm sure my dehumdifier box is WAY over the top, but I don't want to take any chances after coming across those 007s. It also serves several other purposes, like blocking sunlight, keeping dust and bugs out, and it's got a lock so my 2 toddlers can't get in. Besides holding my 007 and 507, my amp also fits in there, which is a bonus (it's tube so I can't leave it out around my kids either :) ). Besides, it was "only" $200, which is less than most aftermarket cables, so maybe it's not too crazy :)

Apr 12, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #2,028 of 25,622
I'm sure my dehumdifier box is WAY over the top, but I don't want to take any chances after coming across those 007s. It also serves several other purposes, like blocking sunlight, keeping dust and bugs out, and it's got a lock so my 2 toddlers can't get in. Besides holding my 007 and 507, my amp also fits in there, which is a bonus (it's tube so I can't leave it out around my kids either
smily_headphones1.gif
). Besides, it was "only" $200, which is less than most aftermarket cables, so maybe it's not too crazy
smily_headphones1.gif

More power to you, mate.

**** man .. I have mere 404LE's and Koss 950's ... relatively inexpensive compared to the 007's.

Had I spent 2500+ on a pair of headphones for chrissake? Shiza ... I'd probably buy a dehumidifier too ...

That said .. I listen daily and far too much to keep an amp tucked away in such. I would drive me crazy to have to take everything out every day before listening ... 

LOL

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #2,030 of 25,622
All the talk of Stax headphones' fragility aside. There are still a lot of older Stax headphones kicking around (Lambda, LP, LS, LNS, etc), and most of them are 20 - 30 years old. I think you treat them right these headphones can last for a long time.

Apr 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #2,031 of 25,622
  All the talk of Stax headphones' fragility aside. There are still a lot of older Stax headphones kicking around (Lambda, LP, LS, LNS, etc), and most of them are 20 - 30 years old. I think you treat them right these headphones can last for a long time.

The SR-X MKIII I have works fine, too.

You just have to be gentle with any high end headphone, really, regardless of what drive technology it uses. Take good care of your things and they'll last forever.

Apr 13, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #2,032 of 25,622

Man ... just get your rig set up and enjoy it. I live in Houston ... and it's wetter than a dog's mouth around here and on a yearly basis. I've never had any  issues with my Stax stuff.

The humidifier is kind of a novel thing. Totally not necessary (not a bad thing, either if you want to get that OCD and  have the money) ... but it's ridiculous to think that it's necessary for such. 

If your even slightly worried about humidity? When not in use, just keep your cans in a gallon size zip lock bag (fit's perfect) with a little silica packet inside. Personally, I put mine in ziplocks when not in use ... but don't worry about silica as we run the AC consistently enough through the day to keep things fairly dry indoors.

LOL ... but don't sweat (if I may) the whole bloody humidifier bit .. 

:wink:

I live in Houston too. I haven't experienced a problem yet with my Stax headphones, and I've had them for almost a year. Having been to Japan - in August of last year, the weather was quite similar to Houston's in August - I can understand how they've been crafted to withstand high humidity and high heat environments (at least the SR-009).

Apr 13, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #2,033 of 25,622
Wow lots of us from Houston on here, or at least that have lived there.  My LNB spent the first ten years of their lives (198x to 199x) in Houston, then in Indiana, and now in Minnesota, never worried about dust or humidity (except one of my ex's stepped on them and cracked one of the gimbals, it still works fine, though).  They also spent some time in storage (cardboard box) with a bunch of other stuff and no ill affects.  Still functioning fine...no need for a 'chamber of solitude' for them...other than for keeping your kids and pets away I guess.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:13 PM Post #2,034 of 25,622
A quick note, just in case of any interest back here, related to the KGSSHV front: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582131/is-anyone-building-the-kgsshv/360#post_10455386

Apr 14, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #2,035 of 25,622
  A quick note, just in case of any interest back here, related to the KGSSHV front: http://www.head-fi.org/t/582131/is-anyone-building-the-kgsshv/360#post_10455386

Nice! Geoff is just finishing mine at the moment, using mostly the same specs as yours (14mA FTW!). My 007 is drooling, waiting for it to arrive. I'm also planning on grabbing the SR-003mk2 and getting some custom molded tips for them because..... why not? I recall Spritzer or someone mentioning running the baby Stax off a BHSE with very good results.  

Apr 14, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #2,039 of 25,622

Nice! Geoff is just finishing mine at the moment, using mostly the same specs as yours (14mA FTW!). My 007 is drooling, waiting for it to arrive. I'm also planning on grabbing the SR-003mk2 and getting some custom molded tips for them because..... why not? I recall Spritzer or someone mentioning running the baby Stax off a BHSE with very good results.  

I think you'll be very pleased. Given that reportedly a 9-10mA KGSSHV is close to the BHSE already, one would be wondering whether the gap between the (14mA ) KGSSHV and BHSE could have closed.

Apr 14, 2014 at 5:24 AM Post #2,040 of 25,622
I think you'll be very pleased. Given that reportedly a 9-10mA KGSSHV is close to the BHSE already, one would be wondering whether the gap between the (14mA ) KGSSHV and BHSE could have closed.

Never really compared them that way given that one is tube vs SS. I would say more prefer bhse from what I can see, but not close to universal. But I would never say that bhse is better than kgsshv from what I can see. However, I'll have both soon enough and be able to do long term impression and see how I personally feel.

Your modded kgsshv sounds amazing. Be really interested in having you do test with both your modded and the two main versions of kgsshv (off and on board) side by side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back