The Stax Thread III
Apr 10, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,998 of 25,677
007 Mk2 arrived today, Woo Audio WES expected on Monday. My intent when I first entered into the hobby was to ease into it bit and enjoy the experience and variety of headphones and amps over time. Gotta blame the NY Meet last weekend for diving in hard. :) Couldn't resist the Stax rig. Just sounded too good to avoid it any longer.

Apr 10, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,999 of 25,677
007 Mk2 arrived today, Woo Audio WES expected on Monday. My intent when I first entered into the hobby was to ease into it bit and enjoy the experience and variety of headphones and amps over time. Gotta blame the NY Meet last weekend for diving in hard. :) Couldn't resist the Stax rig. Just sounded too good to avoid it any longer.
Tell me about it.... One trip to Japan and now I have a 009 and a BHSE on the way.

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #2,000 of 25,677
I have the Stax SR 507 which has developed channel imbalance due to parasitic charges.  I store the phone on a bentwood stand under a Stax clear dust cover.  However, I have been guilty of leaving the phones on the desk uncovered during the day.  it is only at night that I cover the phones.  What is the best way to dust this phone?  In another thread, one user uses this:  http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-AA1900-Large-Rocket-Blaster/dp/B00017LSPI/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-7072879-7496700?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1186614550&sr=8-1

However, I'm leery of using any excessive force.

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #2,002 of 25,677
You are better off returning it. There is no guarantee that you problem won't come back, even if you can fix it this time.
Having said that, I found storing the headphones in a plastic bag with desiccant for a few months seem to have help cure the issue I have with my SR-X MK-III.

Apr 11, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #2,003 of 25,677
  Dust isn't going to cause your imbalance.  It's either the coating or a gap forming between the spacer and diaphragm or stator.

Just as a thought on dust and dust covers ....

Personally, I don't want to drop 30 bucks or so (mas o minos) on a "Stax" branded cover ... or a headphone stand for that matter.

So as an alternative, when not in use, I simply slide my 404LE's and Koss 950's into gallon size, extra thick zip lock bags and lay them on my shelf ... 

Any thoughts on this? Seems perfectly fine for to me ... but thought I'd ask. It's certainly not the most glamorous solution but saves me a bunch of money ...

??

Apr 11, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #2,004 of 25,677
Personally I don't really bother with the extra dust protection.  I think it's more important to keep them out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.  You can use whatever you want, but if you want to be extra picky use a ziploc bag lined with reflective tape (or something to block most of the light) and seal it with a silica gel bag inside.  Blocks dust, blocks light, and absorbs moisture all at once.
tongue.gif

Apr 11, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #2,005 of 25,677
Cosmic rays must be the explanation for 'stats unpredictable behaviour :p

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #2,006 of 25,677
  Personally I don't really bother with the extra dust protection.  I think it's more important to keep them out of direct sunlight for long periods of time.  You can use whatever you want, but if you want to be extra picky use a ziploc bag lined with reflective tape (or something to block most of the light) and seal it with a silica gel bag inside.  Blocks dust, blocks light, and absorbs moisture all at once.
tongue.gif

Sunlight isn't an issue as my room has no direct exposure to such. Dust is a slight issue as I do have to dust shelves and what not, at least once a month. I figure the less dust in the grills, the better ... so just gonna stick with the ziplocks. Thanks for the word ...

Apr 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #2,007 of 25,677
  No evidence to indicate the ED-1 wouldn't effectively compensate the 307.

Besides, thirty years have passed. Computers are now ubiquitous, and PEQ is free, lossless and offers complete control. It surprises me that so few people use it. Everyone seems to prefer buying and ebaying endlessly.

I had the ED-1 for some years and it never really enhanced much - I used it with my LNS and a SRM-3 and SRM-T1S. With some recordings it was OK but I never got much listening pleasure out of it so I sold it ...

Apr 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #2,008 of 25,677
  In linear terms, anyway. Nonlinear distortion is another beast but electrostatics seem to operate so well in those dimensions that it isn't as big of a deal as with dynamics.
OK, thanks. I'm curious to test this in practice. I've played with some fair orchestral and opera recordings and would like the validate any presence of audible distortion before considering anything greater.

I'm not really a fan of tube designs so I tend to stay away from them (I feel the same way with power amplifier topologies). It seems the only suitable transistor-based "upgrade" would be a KGSSHV but I did not observe a confident improvement when I sampled it, even with demanding material.

For clarity, I am not in search for an amplifier that performs the best as far as amplifiers can perform (i.e. in theory). I am interested in the most affordable amplifier that performs the best as far as I can hear (i.e. in practice).

Excuse me but why don't you appreciate tube amps? I've been listening to transistor amps (only the best :wink:) since the early 70s but discovered tubes about 10 years ago. When I was comparing my 100W class-A Stax SS monos with the custom-built 50W tube monos of a friend I was blown away, I had Martin Logan CLS IIz ELS then. If you use good tubes in a well-designed amp - especially in the driver section I only use excellent NOS tubes - you will get amazing results. The sound is more "organic" (using a food metaphor) instead of "fast". I never look back.

But if you have speakers with low efficiency you have to be careful as tube amps, especially the SE type are not very powerful. I have low-efficiency panel speakers, 3.6 Maggies and use 200W tube monos for the mid/treble section and 300W transistor monos for the bass panels (bi-amping). That gives a quite impressive result and I have no plans to change this set.

So don't be prejudiced. Try everything - you'll be amazed. Like I am right now, having accidentally destroyed my beloved Dynavector MC cartridges and dug up the old original MI cart that came with my Empire turntable. It's designed to play Quadro-LPs which means it has a very sharp needle with very low mass that can reproduce up to 50.000 Hz. That thang is almost 40 years old but blew away my expensive DVs - better dynamics, resolution and spatial sound ...

Go figure.

Apr 11, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,009 of 25,677
DOES THE STAX DRIVER UNIT HAVE TO BE PROTECTED FROM DUST?

I have the SRM 323 S and have never shielded it from dust.  I have had the unit for about 3 months.  I don't seem to see this issue mentioned in the forums so I thought I'd bring it up.  If there is dust, should I use a Dust Buster type of handvac to remove it or use a standard vac, or use one of those bulb-type of air blowers they use to clean camera sensors? Are there dust covers available for this unit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back