The Stax Thread III
Oct 4, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #10,157 of 25,684

My kgsshv from the same builder can be found for $2500ish used and is awesome. I paid $3k and still enjoy it allot. Def. a step up on my 727ii.

I just wish he would offer up more than one input on his amps though. Although I do usually enjoy dynamic a bit more with my records it would be nice to listen to my kp-9010 through my 007mk1.

Considering my stat setup is dac only and the bhse is a hefty $6-7k to get the inputs and outputs I need I really see no reason to go any higher than the kgsshv. Probably will not ever happen but maybe when I have a five figure dac or TT.

Oct 4, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #10,158 of 25,684
I've had my first play with EQing my SR-009's:

Based on an assumption that a product aimed for the professional market would sound better and be more versatile than the freebie EQ bundled with my JRiver MC20, I went for a trial version of DMG's entry level EQuick that plugged into my JRMC. Took a bit of getting used to, but after a while, it was fun to drag the Frequency Response curve around with a mouse, so I could quickly try all sorts of strange shapes, but generally I agreed with zolkis' suggestions.

So, did EQ transform my 009 from "almost perfect" to "perfect"?

Erm, not really. The EQ part did its job to change the tonal character in any which way you could possibly want.
You want the 009's to sound soft, warm and cuddly? Easily done.

But there was a big but: A significant loss of openness and transparency. I used Eva Cassidy's "Live from Blues Alley" as an example of female voice recorded with OTT presence and reverb. With EQ, I could soften that down, but with a loss of the fine detail that made the performance less engaging. Switching off EQ immediately brought back the life and soul of the performance. From "adequate recording" to "you are there". Just to show that it wasn't simply a result of the tonal differences I produced a very nearly flat FR line, with just the tiniest changes, and this had the same problem.

This is by no means conclusive. On the appropriate forums, there's talk of Linear Phase, Latency, FIRs, and all sorts of parameters that may improve the SQ of equalizers. And it could be that the default values for EQuick were not the best for SQ. But that's too much faff for me. My favourite control on a hifi system is the button labelled "Just make it work".

So,if EQ is the answer to all headphone problems, then I've grown a bit cool on pursuing that path. Not given up entirely, just realising that, like hifi in general, you have to work at it to get the best out of it. Not like pressing a button.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:16 PM Post #10,159 of 25,684
Good post TheAttorney. I also tried many of the Apple AU filters on my Mac Mini that can be used inside of Audirvana+.

I think unless it is a dead subtle change you are setting it completely wrecks the sound. i.e. I believe it is resampling the data.

For example I can open up a music file in Amadius (sound software) on my Mac, and view the wave forms. Then apply the very same AU filters. On resaving that music file, the sound wave patterns change. This is to me showing the data is being resampled outright to a completely new set of samples. Bit like taking a copy of a photo on a photocopier a second or third time, it gets more and more rough.

Only reducing the level or increasing the level of the entire waveform does it not appear to resample the data, though by increasing the level will invariably hit the buffers at 0dB and square of the wave form (clip).

So IMO EQ is best done in the analogue domain aka old school, on a very transparent EQ amp/device/mixer. There are ones available for pro use. I doubt any consumer EQ gear will be good enough to not loose quality as another component in the chain.

One AU filters I found what does work with minimal negatives is the high shelf filter. This basically reduces the treble level enmass to a subtle curve (pre-set). That appears to have no obvious crushing of the dynamics or soundstage. I use this set to -3dB at 15khz on the 009s, but have my speakers set to flat (no EQ). I do believe the 009s have roughly 3-4dB boost at 15khz and above. Doesn't sound much but in listening it does increase the treble emphasis and energy noticeably. Hence IMO the challenge with many DACs and the 009s.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #10,160 of 25,684
From @ifi-Audio's tweet :-

Looks like we're getting more amp options in the electrostat world.

Oct 4, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #10,161 of 25,684
  From @ifi-Audio's tweet :-

Looks like we're getting more amp options in the electrostat world.

Oh my, wonder how long before it gets dissected? Hard hats everyone.

Oct 4, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #10,163 of 25,684
Oct 4, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #10,164 of 25,684
A review https://headmania.org/2016/09/27/ifi-pro-ican-headphone-amplifier-review/

Here's another review https://www.samma3a.com/en/reviews/ifi-audio/pro-ican-desktop-headphones-amplifier-241.html

"The iCan has a special power supply unit that is of the ultra low noise variant. You can’t fault ifi on their power supplies, they are always amazingly clean. Another add-on part for this amplifier will be the Electrostatic Headphone Energizer. A separate box that can be connected to the Pro iCan that delivers up to 1,700V Peak - with Bias selectable for Stax, HiFi/Pro, Sennheiser and other manufacturers. It’s not yet clear when it’s coming."

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:32 PM Post #10,167 of 25,684

Some say BHSE sounds better (??) overall than Carbon. Carbon SQ varies with build. Plus BHSE retains its value. And I've never seen a late model BHSE in the FS here.

This is not correct.  BHSE's go for sale periodically and prices have been dropping since the release of the Carbon.  It's like most any other product when new technology enters the market.

HS

Oct 4, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #10,168 of 25,684

This is not correct.  BHSE's go for sale periodically and prices have been dropping since the release of the Carbon.  It's like most any other product when new technology enters the market.

HS

I did a search in FS. So far this year only, I've seen 4? Still very expensive, about 5K used? I'm saving up for a Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon.

Oct 4, 2016 at 9:37 PM Post #10,169 of 25,684

I did a search in FS. So far this year only, I've seen 4? Still very expensive, about 5K used? I'm saving up for a Mjolnir KGSSHV Carbon.

They're not inexpensive to start with and that's the asking price.  The price has been dropping as the Carbon is increasing in popularity.  I can certainly understand a BHSE not being in someone's price range, but if you look around they are popping up.  And, BTW, this isn't the only site things are posted for sale...

I very much like my KGSSHV Carbon.  Beautiful build with some exceptional components.  Extremely stable and a lot more low maintenance than a BHSE, but everyone has different tastes.  Suggest you listen before you purchase if you can manage it.

HS

Oct 4, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #10,170 of 25,684

They're not inexpensive to start with and that's the asking price.  The price has been dropping as the Carbon is increasing in popularity.  I can certainly understand a BHSE not being in someone's price range, but if you look around they are popping up.  And, BTW, this isn't the only site things are posted for sale...

I very much like my KGSSHV Carbon.  Beautiful build with some exceptional components.  Extremely stable and a lot more low maintenance than a BHSE, but everyone has different tastes.  Suggest you listen before you purchase if you can manage it.

HS

Unfortunately not many places have them. Its either through a meet, a CanJam or someone you know. I know they sound good, after all I trust you guys here.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back